Hahabogus

Default ROASTED YELLOW PEPPER SOUP AND ROASTED TOMATO SOUP WITH SERRANO CREAM

ROASTED YELLOW PEPPER SOUP AND ROASTED TOMATO SOUP WITH SERRANO CREAM

For the pepper soup:
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 yellow bell peppers, roasted (procedure follows) and chopped coarse
(about 6 cups)
1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth plus additional to thin the soup
1/4 cup heavy cream
fresh lemon juice to taste

For the tomato soup:
3 pounds plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
3 unpeeled large garlic cloves
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth plus additional to thin the soup
1/4 cup heavy cream
fresh lemon juice to taste

For the serrano cream:
3 fresh serrano chilies or jalapeños, seeded and chopped fine (wear rubber
gloves)
1 large garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
To roast peppers:
Using a long-handled fork char the peppers over an open flame, turning
them, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skins are blackened. (Or broil the
peppers on the rack of a broiler pan under a preheated broiler about 2
inches from the heat, turning them every 5 minutes, for 15 to 25 minutes,
or until the skins are blistered and charred.) Transfer the peppers to a
bowl and let them steam, covered, until they are cool enough to handle.
Keeping the peppers whole, peel them starting at the blossom end, cut off
the tops, and discard the seeds and ribs. (Wear rubber gloves when handling
chilies.)

Make the pepper soup:
In a heavy saucepan cook the shallot, the thyme, and salt and pepper to
taste in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the shallot
is soft, add the bell peppers and 1 1/2 cups of the broth, and simmer the
mixture, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the peppers are very soft.
In a blender purée the soup in batches until it is very smooth, forcing it
as it is puréed through a fine sieve set over the pan, cleaned, and whisk
in the cream, enough of the additional broth to reach the desired
consistency, the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. The soup may be
made 1 day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated.

Make the tomato soup:
Spread the tomatoes, skin side down, in one layer in 2 foil-lined jelly-
roll pans, add the garlic to 1 of the pans, and bake the tomatoes and the
garlic in a preheated 350°F. oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the
tomatoes are very soft and their skin is dark brown. Let the tomatoes and
the garlic cool in the pans on racks. In a heavy saucepan cook the shallot,
the orégano, salt and pepper to taste in the butter over moderately low
heat, stirring, until the shallot is soft, add the tomatoes, the garlic
(skins discarded), and 1 1/2 cups of the broth, and simmer the mixture,
covered, for 15 minutes. In a blender purée the soup in batches until it is
very smooth, forcing it as it is puréed through a fine sieve set over the
pan, cleaned, and whisk in the cream, the additional broth if necessary
(both soups should have the same consistency), the lemon juice, and salt
and pepper to taste. The soup may be made 1 day in advance, kept covered
and chilled, and reheated.

Make the serrano cream:
In a blender blend together the chilies, the garlic paste, and the créme
fraîche until the mixture is combined well. (Be careful not to overblend
the mixture or the cream may curdle.) Force the mixture through a fine
sieve set over a small bowl. The serrano cream may be made 1 day in
advance, kept covered and chilled, and brought to room temperature before
serving.

To serve the soup:
For each serving ladle 1/2 cup of each soup into 2 glass measuring cups,
pour the soups simultaneously into a shallow soup bowl from opposite sides
of the bowl, and drizzle some of the serrano cream over each serving.

Makes about 3 cups of each soup, serving 6.
Gourmet
March 1993

rate this recipe
95% would make
this recipe again

A Cook from Minneapolis, MN on 09/03/04
I can't believe I found this recipe! In 1996, my sister-in-law and I
thought maybe we'd become caterers & decided to practice on our spouses. We
didn't understand the strategy of NOT choosing a menu in which all recipes
require last-minute cooking & detail work, so we gave up the idea. However,
this soup, which was our starter course, was absolutely fabulous, looked
beautiful and was great as leftovers too. The three components are
delicious individually & gorgeous together. I had forgotten it was a
Gourmet recipe, so had never looked for it here. Yay!!!!

A Cook from Nashville, Tennessee on 08/27/04
I fixed this soup and the yellow pepper soup for dinner. It got rave
reviews from our guest.

A Cook from San Francisco, CA on 08/16/04
This soup is a fair amount of work and I did make some changes. I roasted
some red bell peppers and added them to the tomato soup eliminating the
seperate bell pepper soup. I also added fresh basil in addition to the
thyme & oregano. I also added a small amount of worchestershire to give it
a little spark. Definitely make the serrano creme - it makes the soup a
really memorable dish!!

--
Starchless in Manitoba.