Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Precooked hamburger patties

I found some of these today at Safeway. What a time saver! The meat was
really lean and they were quite good. I had been buying patties and making
them myself. Yeah, I know patties are easy to make but I don't like to
handle meat. I needed something for myself to eat on those days when I am
making stuff for Angela and my husband that I can't eat. These will do!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>> I can't even eat pre-formed patties that I cook myself. A few months
>> ago, I bought some at my mother's supermarket, put out by a local farm.
>> They were awful. For another data point, I tried the organic patties
>> from Trader Joes. They were awful. For the sake of completeness, I tried
>> the patties from my supermarket. They were awful. And so I went back to
>> grinding my own meat.

> Well, these were very good. My husband went back for seconds.

If you all liked them, that's the main thing. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> I found some of these today at Safeway. What a time saver! The meat was
> really lean and they were quite good. I had been buying patties and making
> them myself. Yeah, I know patties are easy to make but I don't like to
> handle meat. I needed something for myself to eat on those days when I am
> making stuff for Angela and my husband that I can't eat. These will do!

Out of curiosity, what is their cost per pound?

I have seen pre-cooked bacon at around $24 per pound, which is a very
hefty premium for the convenience, and wondered if there is a similar
cost for 'them' to do the cooking.

--

I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Aaron" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I found some of these today at Safeway. What a time saver! The meat was
>> really lean and they were quite good. I had been buying patties and
>> making them myself. Yeah, I know patties are easy to make but I don't
>> like to handle meat. I needed something for myself to eat on those days
>> when I am making stuff for Angela and my husband that I can't eat. These
>> will do!

> Out of curiosity, what is their cost per pound?

I don't remember. I don't pay a lot of attention to prices, but the were
about the same as for raw patties.

> I have seen pre-cooked bacon at around $24 per pound, which is a very
> hefty premium for the convenience, and wondered if there is a similar cost
> for 'them' to do the cooking.

I buy cooked at Costco. I don't mind paying more. I hate cooking bacon.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alice Faber > wrote:

> I can't even eat pre-formed patties that I cook myself. A few months
> ago, I bought some at my mother's supermarket, put out by a local farm.
> They were awful. For another data point, I tried the organic patties
> from Trader Joes. They were awful. For the sake of completeness, I tried
> the patties from my supermarket. They were awful. And so I went back to
> grinding my own meat.

I just ordered another 36 6oz "steakburger" individually frozen
grass-fed beef patties from LaCense beef. They really do taste like
very good steak, cook in 2 minutes a side in a cast iron frying pan, and
are a staple of my diet. One of those with a hotted up 10oz box of
frozen veg (or fresh equivalent this time of year), and I'm a happy
diner.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > I can't even eat pre-formed patties that I cook myself. A few months
> > ago, I bought some at my mother's supermarket, put out by a local farm.
> > They were awful. For another data point, I tried the organic patties
> > from Trader Joes. They were awful. For the sake of completeness, I tried
> > the patties from my supermarket. They were awful. And so I went back to
> > grinding my own meat.

> Well, these were very good. My husband went back for seconds.

Did you check the ingredients to be sure there weren't any filler or
flavor-enhancing ingredients?

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Alice Faber > wrote:
>
>> I can't even eat pre-formed patties that I cook myself. A few months
>> ago, I bought some at my mother's supermarket, put out by a local farm.
>> They were awful. For another data point, I tried the organic patties
>> from Trader Joes. They were awful. For the sake of completeness, I tried
>> the patties from my supermarket. They were awful. And so I went back to
>> grinding my own meat.

> I just ordered another 36 6oz "steakburger" individually frozen
> grass-fed beef patties from LaCense beef. They really do taste like
> very good steak, cook in 2 minutes a side in a cast iron frying pan, and
> are a staple of my diet. One of those with a hotted up 10oz box of
> frozen veg (or fresh equivalent this time of year), and I'm a happy
> diner.

The problem I often have with the frozen raw burgers is that they stick
together. I wind up having to try to cook them all at once and then they
don't come out very well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > I can't even eat pre-formed patties that I cook myself. A few months
>> > ago, I bought some at my mother's supermarket, put out by a local farm.
>> > They were awful. For another data point, I tried the organic patties
>> > from Trader Joes. They were awful. For the sake of completeness, I
>> > tried
>> > the patties from my supermarket. They were awful. And so I went back to
>> > grinding my own meat.

>> Well, these were very good. My husband went back for seconds.

> Did you check the ingredients to be sure there weren't any filler or
> flavor-enhancing ingredients?

Yep. Because of our food allergies, I ALWAYS check ingredients. Perhaps we
are luckier than most because in this area there is a big demand for organic
and natural foods. ALL of the stores in this area are carrying them now.
Most have a huge organic food section but some have the organic foods
integrated with the regular foods. The store where we do most of our
shopping carries mainly organic foods with some regular foods mixed in.
I've been told it is comparable to Whole Foods but with better prices.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Alice Faber > wrote:
> >
> >> I can't even eat pre-formed patties that I cook myself. A few months
> >> ago, I bought some at my mother's supermarket, put out by a local farm.
> >> They were awful. For another data point, I tried the organic patties
> >> from Trader Joes. They were awful. For the sake of completeness, I tried
> >> the patties from my supermarket. They were awful. And so I went back to
> >> grinding my own meat.

> > I just ordered another 36 6oz "steakburger" individually frozen
> > grass-fed beef patties from LaCense beef. They really do taste like
> > very good steak, cook in 2 minutes a side in a cast iron frying pan, and
> > are a staple of my diet. One of those with a hotted up 10oz box of
> > frozen veg (or fresh equivalent this time of year), and I'm a happy
> > diner.

> The problem I often have with the frozen raw burgers is that they stick
> together. I wind up having to try to cook them all at once and then they
> don't come out very well.

These are individually packaged and frozen. Can thaw 1 at a time.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

> These are individually packaged and frozen. Can thaw 1 at a time.

Oh. Nice!