Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Orange Roughy

I bought a bag of frozen orange roughy filets, each one wrapped neatly in a
little plastic bag. I hadn't made this fish in a while, but I knew it was
tasty. Well I wasn't sure how I ought to prepare it, and the package said
to simply place it on a baking sheet, sprinkle it with salt, pepper and
garlic powder, and bake it. That sounded very plain, but I changed that
only a little. I thawed the filets out first.

I covered the pan with foil (easier to clean up)
Sprayed it with Pam.
Placed the filets on the foil.
Sprinkled with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of paprika for
color.
Sprayed a tiny bit more Pam spray on top
Baked it at 400 for about 15 minutes.

It was so delicious you can't believe it. Simple and healthy and very
good.

Just thought I'd pass this on in case somebody wanted to try Orange Roughy.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:41:42 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Just thought I'd pass this on in case somebody wanted to try Orange Roughy.

It's actually one of the species I won't touch, because they're really
slow growing, very long lived, and on the danger list. The fish you
ate might have been 100+ years old, and because they live so slowly
and so long, they don't increase their numbers quickly. They're
becoming very overfished.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: >Just thought I'd pass this on in case somebody wanted to try Orange Roughy.

: It's actually one of the species I won't touch, because they're really
: slow growing, very long lived, and on the danger list. The fish you
: ate might have been 100+ years old, and because they live so slowly
: and so long, they don't increase their numbers quickly. They're
: becoming very overfished.

: Nicky.

You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey Aquarium
in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the natural,
wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow grower and
is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious aobut
eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish and
brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Nicky > wrote:
> : On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:41:42 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> : wrote:
>
> : >Just thought I'd pass this on in case somebody wanted to try Orange Roughy.
>
> : It's actually one of the species I won't touch, because they're really
> : slow growing, very long lived, and on the danger list. The fish you
> : ate might have been 100+ years old, and because they live so slowly
> : and so long, they don't increase their numbers quickly. They're
> : becoming very overfished.
>
> : Nicky.
>
> You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
> approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey Aquarium
> in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the natural,
> wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow grower and
> is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious aobut
> eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish and
> brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.

How's my fave, catfish?

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Nicky > wrote:
: > : On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:41:42 -0500, "Evelyn" >
: > : wrote:
: >
[...]

: How's my fave, catfish?

: PP

I think catfish is ok and is often farm raised. I really can't be sure as
I don't eat it as is is not considered kosher-no scales. Fidh must have
both fins and scales. You could google either the audubon society or the
Monterey aquarium to find out what is where on their lists.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:41:42 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Just thought I'd pass this on in case somebody wanted to try Orange
>>Roughy.

> It's actually one of the species I won't touch, because they're really
> slow growing, very long lived, and on the danger list. The fish you
> ate might have been 100+ years old, and because they live so slowly
> and so long, they don't increase their numbers quickly. They're
> becoming very overfished.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Thanks for letting me know, Nicky.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arachive: yes

W. Baker wrote:

> You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
> approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey Aquarium
> in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the natural,
> wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow grower and
> is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious aobut
> eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish and
> brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.
>
> Wendy

Wendy, Trader Joe's has really high quality frozen wild salmon. Costco,
too, but it's sockeye, which is really lean and makes me gag.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote:
: x-no-arachive: yes

: W. Baker wrote:

: > You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
: > approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey Aquarium
: > in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the natural,
: > wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow grower and
: > is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious aobut
: > eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish and
: > brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.
: >
: > Wendy

: Wendy, Trader Joe's has really high quality frozen wild salmon. Costco,
: too, but it's sockeye, which is really lean and makes me gag.

: Susan

Unfortunately, TJ's would be either 3 trains(subwaylines) or several
busses and there is no costco in Manhattan that Iam aware of. I hve
Fairway which has nice fresh fish and Citarella's with higher prised
excellent fish. Pain in the neck for me. I will remember shuld I ever
get to one, however.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Susan > wrote:
> : x-no-arachive: yes
>
> : W. Baker wrote:
>
> : > You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
> : > approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey
> Aquarium
> : > in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the
> natural,
> : > wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow grower
> and
> : > is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious aobut
> : > eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish and
> : > brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : Wendy, Trader Joe's has really high quality frozen wild salmon. Costco,
> : too, but it's sockeye, which is really lean and makes me gag.
>
> : Susan
>
> Unfortunately, TJ's would be either 3 trains(subwaylines) or several
> busses and there is no costco in Manhattan that Iam aware of. I hve
> Fairway which has nice fresh fish and Citarella's with higher prised
> excellent fish. Pain in the neck for me. I will remember shuld I ever
> get to one, however.
>
> Wendy

Wendy when you come to your country home, I am sure you know about Adams
market? They have the freshest fish!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Susan > wrote:
: > : x-no-arachive: yes
: >
: > : W. Baker wrote:
: >
: > : > You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
: > : > approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey
: > Aquarium
: > : > in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the
: > natural,
: > : > wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow grower
: > and
: > : > is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious aobut
: > : > eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish and
: > : > brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.
: > : >
: > : > Wendy
: >
: > : Wendy, Trader Joe's has really high quality frozen wild salmon. Costco,
: > : too, but it's sockeye, which is really lean and makes me gag.
: >
: > : Susan
: >
: > Unfortunately, TJ's would be either 3 trains(subwaylines) or several
: > busses and there is no costco in Manhattan that Iam aware of. I hve
: > Fairway which has nice fresh fish and Citarella's with higher prised
: > excellent fish. Pain in the neck for me. I will remember shuld I ever
: > get to one, however.
: >
: > Wendy

: Wendy when you come to your country home, I am sure you know about Adams
: market? They have the freshest fish!

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

: Rest in a sky-like mind.
: Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
: Breathe like the wind circling the world

I d know Adams, a wonderful store. My probelm is getting to Kingston
with no car. We have to either beg a ride or hire someone. big nuisence,
but it is still worth being up in those glorious mountains.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Susan > wrote:
> : > : x-no-arachive: yes
> : >
> : > : W. Baker wrote:
> : >
> : > : > You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on
> the
> : > : > approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey
> : > Aquarium
> : > : > in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger the
> : > natural,
> : > : > wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a slow
> grower
> : > and
> : > : > is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so self-conscious
> aobut
> : > : > eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed tilapia, bluefish
> and
> : > : > brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.
> : > : >
> : > : > Wendy
> : >
> : > : Wendy, Trader Joe's has really high quality frozen wild salmon.
> Costco,
> : > : too, but it's sockeye, which is really lean and makes me gag.
> : >
> : > : Susan
> : >
> : > Unfortunately, TJ's would be either 3 trains(subwaylines) or several
> : > busses and there is no costco in Manhattan that Iam aware of. I hve
> : > Fairway which has nice fresh fish and Citarella's with higher prised
> : > excellent fish. Pain in the neck for me. I will remember shuld I
> ever
> : > get to one, however.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>

> : Wendy when you come to your country home, I am sure you know about Adams
> : market? They have the freshest fish!
>
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> : Rest in a sky-like mind.
> : Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> : Breathe like the wind circling the world
>
> I d know Adams, a wonderful store. My probelm is getting to Kingston
> with no car. We have to either beg a ride or hire someone. big nuisence,
> but it is still worth being up in those glorious mountains.
>
> Wendy

Call me if you are in town. I'd be happy to take you when we shop. :-)

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: >
: > : Wendy when you come to your country home, I am sure you know about Adams
: > : market? They have the freshest fish!
: >
: > : --
: > : --
: > : Best Regards,
: > : Evelyn
: >
: > : Rest in a sky-like mind.
: > : Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
: > : Breathe like the wind circling the world
: >
: > I d know Adams, a wonderful store. My probelm is getting to Kingston
: > with no car. We have to either beg a ride or hire someone. big nuisence,
: > but it is still worth being up in those glorious mountains.
: >
: > Wendy

: Call me if you are in town. I'd be happy to take you when we shop. :-)

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Thanks!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:
> x-no-arachive: yes
>
> W. Baker wrote:
>
>> You sond like my biologist son who will only eat fish that are on the
>> approved list form either the US Audubon society or the Moterey
>> Aquarium in California. No farm raised salmon because they endanger
>> the natural, wild species, not Chilian sea bass because it is also a
>> slow grower and is getting over fished, etc/ He has made me so
>> self-conscious aobut eating fish that I find myself limited to farmed
>> tilapia, bluefish and brook trout as the wild salmon is ao pricey.
>>
>> Wendy

> Wendy, Trader Joe's has really high quality frozen wild salmon. Costco,
> too, but it's sockeye, which is really lean and makes me gag.
>
> Susan

Susan, put some pesto sauce on the salmon before you cook it

we buy the CostCo frozen Salmon that's from the Pacific Ocean

--
kate
type 1 since 1987