James McDone

Default Which foods are a no no

My dad has type 2 Diabetes :-(. Which foods does he have to stay away from?
Are the foods that you have to stay away from when you have type 2 Diabetes
the same food that you have to stay away from when you have Diabetes?

James

Jennifer

James...

You ask, what on the surface seems to be a simple question.

Unfortunately, it's one of the most hotly debated subjects in diabetes.

Fortunately, your father has a tool, that will help him determine what
foods cause his blood glucose to spike: his meter.

Here's the advice I give all those who want to discover a food plan that
works for them:

There is so much to absorb... you don't have to rush into anything. Begin
by using your best weapon in this war, your meter. You won't keel over
today, you have time to experiment, test, learn, test and figure out just
how your body and this disease are getting along. The most important
thing you can do to learn about yourself and diabetes is test test test.

The single biggest question a diabetic has to answer is:

What do I eat?

Unfortunately, the answer is pretty confusing.

What confounds us all is the fact that different diabetics can get great
results on wildly different food plans. Some of us here achieve
great blood glucose control eating a high complex carbohydrate diet.
Others find that anything over 75 - 100g of carbs a day is too
much. Still others are somewhere in between.

At the beginning all of us felt frustrated. We wanted to be handed
THE way to eat, to ensure our continued health. But we all
learned that there is no one way. Each of us had to find our own path,
using the experience of those that went before, but still having
to discover for ourselves how OUR bodies and this disease were coexisting.

Ask questions, but remember each of us discovered on our own what works best
for us. You can use our experiences as jumping off points, but eventually
you'll work up a successful plan that is yours alone.

What you are looking to discover is how different foods affect you. As I'm
sure you've read, carbohydrates (sugars, wheat, rice... the things our
Grandmas called "starches") raise blood sugars the most rapidly. Protein
and fat do raise them, but not as high and much more slowly... so if you're
a T2, generally the insulin your body still makes may take care of the rise.

You might want to try some experiments.

First: Eat whatever you've been
currently eating... but write it all down.
Test yourself at the following times:

Upon waking (fasting)
1 hour after each meal
2 hours after each meal
At bedtime

That means 8 x each day. What you will discover by this is how long
after a meal your highest reading comes... and how fast you return to
"normal". Also, you may see that a meal that included bread, fruit or
other carbs gives you a higher reading.

Then for the next few days, try to curb your carbs. Eliminate breads,
cereals, rices, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, fruit... get all
your carbs from veggies. Test at the same schedule above.

If you try this for a few days, you may find some pretty damn good
readings. It's worth a few days to discover.

Eventually you can slowly add back carbs until you see them affecting your
meter.

The thing about this disease... though we share much in common and we
need to
follow certain guidelines... in the end, each of our bodies dictate our
treatment and our success.

The closer we get to non-diabetic numbers, the greater chance we have of
avoiding horrible complications. The key here is AIM... I know that
everyone is at a different point in their disease... and it is progressive.
But, if we aim for the best numbers and do our best, we give ourselves the
best shot at heath we've got.
That's all we can do.

Here's my opinion on what numbers to aim for, they are non-diabetic numbers.

FBG under 110
One hour after meals under 140
Two hours after meals under 120

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting Under 6
One hour after meals Under 8
Two hours after meals Under 6.5

Recent studies have indicated that the most important numbers are your
"after meal" numbers. They may be the most indicative of future
complications, especially heart problems.

Listen to your doctor, but you are the leader of your diabetic
care team. While his /her advice is learned, it is not absolute. You
will end up knowing much more about your body and how it's handling
diabetes than your doctor will. Your meter is your best weapon.

Just remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but
ourselves... Play around with your food plan... TEST TEST TEST. Learn what
foods cause spikes, what foods cause cravings... Use your body as a science
experiment.

You'll read about a lot of different ways people use to control their
diabetes... Many are diametrically opposed. After awhile you'll learn that
there is no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment
and you'll soon discover the plan that works for you.

Best of luck!

Jennifer

James McDone wrote:

> My dad has type 2 Diabetes :-(. Which foods does he have to stay away from?
> Are the foods that you have to stay away from when you have type 2 Diabetes
> the same food that you have to stay away from when you have Diabetes?
>
> James

Thomas Muffaletto

I eat everything and anything I want - just not in the amounts I used to.
eat healthy, exercise and take the medications if needed.
I needed the medications in the beginning but not any more.
last a1c 5.7.
take him to a dietitian and have a healthy diet worked
out for him and his needs.

This comes from the American Diabetes Associations web site.
What foods are healthy? What foods are unhealthy? How do you establish a
plan for eating healthy foods? Let the American Diabetes Association help
point you in the right direction.

What foods are healthy?

No single food will supply all the nutrients your body needs, so good
nutrition means eating a variety of foods.

Food is divided into four main groups. They a

a.. Fruits and vegetables (oranges, apples, bananas, carrots, and
spinach).
b.. Whole grains, cereals, and bread (wheat, rice, oats, bran, and
barley).
c.. Dairy products (whole or skim milk, cream, and yogurt).
d.. Meats, fish, poultry, eggs, dried beans, and nuts.
It's important to eat foods from each group every day. By doing that, you
ensure your body has all the nutrients it needs.

The main nutrients in food are carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and
minerals. Nutrients help your body work correctly, and make young bodies
grow.

Carbohydrates give you energy. Healthy choices are dried beans, peas, and
lentils; whole grain breads, cereals, and crackers; and fruits and
vegetables. Protein is needed for growth and is a good back-up supply of
energy. Healthy choices include lean meats and low-fat dairy products.

Foods high in fiber are healthy, too. Fiber comes from plants and may help
to lower blood glucose and blood-fat levels. Foods high in fiber include:
bran cereals, cooked beans and peas, whole-grain bread, fruits, and
vegetables.

Which foods are unhealthy?

Fat is a nutrient, and you need some fat in your diet. But too much fat
isn't good for anyone. And it can be very harmful to people with diabetes.

Too much fat or cholesterol may increase the chances of heart disease and/or
hardening of the arteries. People with diabetes have a greater risk of
developing these diseases than those without diabetes. So, it is very
important that you limit the fat in your diet.

Fat is found in many foods. Red meat, dairy products (whole milk, cream,
cheese, and ice cream), egg yolks, butter, salad dressings, vegetable oils,
and many desserts are high in fat. To cut down on fat and cholesterol, you
should:

a.. Choose lean cuts of meat. Remove extra fat.
b.. Eat more fish and poultry (without the skin).
c.. Use diet margarine instead of butter.
d.. Drink low-fat or skim milk.
e.. Limit the number of eggs you eat to three or four a week and choose
liver only now and then.
Too much salt may worsen high blood pressure. Many foods contain salt.
Sometimes, you can taste it (as in pickles or bacon). But there is also
hidden salt in many foods, such as cheeses, salad dressings, and canned
soups. When using salt or fat, remember that a little goes a long way.

People with diabetes should eat less sugar. Foods high in sugar include:
desserts such as frosted cake and pie, sugary breakfast foods, table sugar,
honey, and syrup. One 12-ounce can of a regular soft drink has nine
teaspoons of sugar.

Finally, good advice is to stay away from alcohol. If you like an alcoholic
drink now and then, ask your dietitian for advice.

How do you set up a plan for eating healthy foods?

You and your dietitian should work together to design a meal plan that's
right for you and includes foods that you enjoy. A diabetes meal plan is a
guide that tells you how much and what kinds of food you can choose to eat
at meals and snack times.

A good meal plan should fit in with your schedule and eating habits. The
right meal plan will also help keep your weight where it should be. Whether
you need to lose weight, gain weight, or stay where you are, your meal plan
can help.

Tools

Rate Your Plate
Plan your meal -- learn what will raise your blood glucose levels the most.

more can be found on the link below.

http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...n/overview.jsp

Thomas

--
The American Diabetes Associations Web Site.
http://www.diabetes.org/about-diabetes.jsp

"James McDone" > wrote in message
> My dad has type 2 Diabetes :-(. Which foods does he have to stay away

from?
> Are the foods that you have to stay away from when you have type 2

Diabetes
> the same food that you have to stay away from when you have Diabetes?
>
> James

Pam Casey

James:

Here is this article which has some useful facts and links:

Nutrition Facts to Know
Contemporary Women's Issues
March 10, 2004

1. You should consume no more than 30 percent of your total calories per
day from fat.

2. The recommended amount each day for sodium intake is 2,400 mg -- you get
2,325 mg in just one teaspoon of salt.

3. Vegetarians -- especially vegans (who eat no meat at all) -- need to
monitor their eating to make sure they get enough iron, zinc, B vitamins,
protein, vitamin D and calcium.

4. Any weight-loss program should be focused on slow, steady weight loss.

5. Refrigerate or freeze perishables, prepared food and leftovers within
two
hours, and never defrost food on the kitchen counter. Use the refrigerator,
cold
running water or the microwave.

6. Over thirty four million women in the United States, age 20 years and
older, are considered obese this puts them at increased risk of
hypertension,
Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, gallbladder disease,
osteoarthritis,
sleep apnea, respiratory problems and certain types of cancers. Studies
also
find a correlation between obesity and early death.

7. For women, obesity is usually defined as being 30 percent or more over
ideal body weight. You are morbidly obese if you are more than 100 pounds
or
more overweight.

8. Eating disorders affect more than seven million American women.

9. Experts generally consider obesity a chronic disease rather than a
lifestyle choice.

10. Some experts recommend supplements of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin
B12
for seniors.

"Reference Daily Intakes (RDIs)" U.S. Food and Drug Administration. No
publication date. http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/foodlabel/rdichrt.html.
Accessed Aug. 2003.

"Preventing Osteoporosis." National Osteoporosis Foundation.
http://www.nof.org accessed April, 2003.

"Eating Disorders." National Women's Health Information Center. Office On
Women's Health. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. Reviewed July
2002.
http://www.4women.gov/faq/eatingdi.htm. Accessed Aug. 2003.

"Nutrition: American Diabetes Association. 2003.
http://www.diabetes.org/main/health/...on/default.jsp. Accessed Aug.
2003.

"Before You Start Your Next Diet Ask Yourself Why You Want to Lose Weight."
National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. No publication date.
http://naafa.org/documents/brochures/nextdiet.html. Accessed May 2000.

"Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans." Center for
Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Food and Drug Administration. Updated May
2003. http://198.102.218.57/dietaryguidelines/. Accessed Aug. 2003.

"What can I do to protect myself from food poisoning?" Excerpted from FDA
Consumer - The Unwelcome Dinner Guest: Preventing Foodborne Illness. Food
and
Drug Administration. Revised June 2000.
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/dms/qa-fdb1.html. Accessed Aug. 2003.

"The Food Guide Pyramid: A Guide to Daily Food Choices." No publication
date.
http://www.nal.usda.gov:8001/py/pmap.htm. Accessed Aug. 2003.

Kurtzweil, Paula. "Daily Values Encourage Healthy Diet." No publication
date.
Food and Drug Administration.
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/foodlabel/dvs.html. Accessed Dec. 2001.

"Nutrition Fact Sheets" American Dietetic Association. Dated 2003.
http://www.eatright.org/Public/Nutri...on/9211722.cfm. Accessed
Aug.
2003.

"Live Healthier, Live Longer: Cholesterol Health Counts for Everyone." No
publication date. National Cholesterol Education Program. National Heart,
Lung
and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/chd/index.htm. Accessed Dec.
2001.

"Diet Strategies for Women With Diabetes: Why Some Work and Some Don't."
Joslin Diabetes Center. Affiliate of Harvard University Medical School. No
publication date (Updated in 2001).
http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/educat...wmagdiet.shtml. Accessed
Dec.
2001.

"A Survival Guide for Preventing and Treating Influenza and the Common
Cold."
American Lung Association. Published 2002.
http://www.lungusa.org/diseases/c
&findex.html. Accessed Aug. 2003.

"Drinking During Pregnancy." March of Dimes. Updated Aug. 2002.
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/6811170.asp. Accessed Aug. 2003.

"Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of
Overweight and Obesity in Adults." NIH Publication No. 98-4083. National
Heart,
Lung, and Blood Institute. Published 1998.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/obgdlns.htm. Accessed Dec.
2001.

"Weight Loss and Control" National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and
Kidney Diseases. No publication date.
http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/nutrit.htm. Accessed Aug. 2003.

Wauters, M. Gaal, L. "Gender Differences in Leptin Levels and Physiology: A
Role for Leptin in Human Reproduction." Journal of Gender Specific
Medicine.
Sept.-Oct. 1999. Vol. 2. No. 5.

Papazian, R. "Bulking Up Fiber's Healthful Reputation: More Benefits of
Roughage Are Discovered." FDA Consumer. Food and Drug Administration.
July-Aug.
1997 (Revised Sept. 1998). http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/dms/fdafiber.html.
Accessed
Dec. 2001.

Mayfield, E. "A Consumer's Guide to Fats." FDA Consumer. Updated Jan. 1999.
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/fatguide.html. Accessed Aug. 2003.

"Overview of Dietary Supplements." Food and Drug Administration. Updated
Jan.
2001. http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/dms/ds-oview.html. Accessed Dec. 2003.

Feldman, E. "Guidelines for a Healthy Diet." American Medical Women's
Association. Excerpted from The American Medical Women's Association
Women's
Complete Healthbook. Ed. Roselyn Payne Epps and Susan Cobb Stewart. 1995.
Updated April 2000.

http://www.amwa-doc.org/publications...tamwa-ch3.html.
Accessed
Dec. 2001.

"ADA says new Dietary Reference Intakes recognize that one size does not
fit
all when it comes to planning and achieving a healthful diet and a healthy
lifestyle" American Dietetic Association. Sept. 2002.
http://www.webdietitians.org/Public/...Media10605.cfm. Accessed
Aug.
2003.

"New Report on Dietary Reference Intakes Includes Recommendation for More
Exercise." Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Sept. 2002.
http://www.jhsph.edu/PressRoom/Press...texercise.html. Accessed
Sept.
2002.

"Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) and

Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA)" Food and Nutrition Information
Center,
USDA. Revised Aug. 2003. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/etext/000105.html.
Accessed Aug. 2003.

"Carbohydrates and Sugar" American Heart Association.
http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4471. Accessed
Sept.
2002.

"Report Offers New Eating and Exercise Targets To Reduce Chronic Disease
Risk
" National Academy of Sciences. Sept. 5, 2002.
http://www4.nationalacademies.org/ne...3?OpenDocument.
Accessed Sept. 2002.

"Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrates, Fiber, Fat, Protein
and
Amino Acids (Macronutrients)" Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of
Medicine.
Sept. 2002. http://www.nap.edu/books/0309085373/html/. Accessed Sept. 2002.

"National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine, Letter Report on
Trans
Fatty Acids: FDA's Next Steps" U. S. Food and Drug Administration Center
for
Food Safety and Applied Nutrition,

Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements. July
2002.
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/dms/labtrans.html. Accessed Sept. 2002.

"Trans Fatty Acids and Coronary Heart Disease." Harvard School of Public
Health. The Channing Laboratory, Dept. of Medicine, Brigham and Women's
Hospital. Nov. 1999. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/reviews/transfats.html.
Accessed Sept. 2002.

"Statistics Related to Overweight and Obesity" National Institutes of
Health.
July 2003. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutr...s/statobes.htm.
Accessed
Aug. 2003.

copyright 2004 National Women's Health Resource Center

Sincerely,

Pam Casey

"Thomas Muffaletto" > wrote in message
> [...]

> can help.
>
> Tools
>

> Rate Your Plate
> Plan your meal -- learn what will raise your blood glucose levels the

most.

> more can be found on the link below.
>
> http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...n/overview.jsp
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> The American Diabetes Associations Web Site.
> http://www.diabetes.org/about-diabetes.jsp
> MY VTX1300C
> http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/me...user_ID=162139
>

> "James McDone" > wrote in message
> > My dad has type 2 Diabetes :-(. Which foods does he have to stay away

> from?
> > Are the foods that you have to stay away from when you have type 2

> Diabetes
> > the same food that you have to stay away from when you have Diabetes?

Peanutjake

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
> [...]
> complications, especially heart problems.
>
> Listen to your doctor, but you are the leader of your diabetic
> care team. While his /her advice is learned, it is not absolute. You
> will end up knowing much more about your body and how it's handling
> diabetes than your doctor will. Your meter is your best weapon.
>
> Just remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but
> ourselves... Play around with your food plan... TEST TEST TEST. Learn what
> foods cause spikes, what foods cause cravings... Use your body as a science
> experiment.
>
> You'll read about a lot of different ways people use to control their
> diabetes... Many are diametrically opposed. After awhile you'll learn that
> there is no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment
> and you'll soon discover the plan that works for you.

I have followed Jennifer's advice with great success.

I have lowered my hba1c from 10.3 to 6.2 and lost 40 pounds along the way.
Low carbing works for me.

PJ

K'neH'a'Iw

Pam Casey wrote:

> James:
>
> Here is this article which has some useful facts and links:

There is nothing in this post that is specific to diabetics. I
would refer you to Jennifer's earlier post for more specific
information.

> [...]

>>guide that tells you how much and what kinds of food you can choose to eat
>>at meals and snack times.
>>
>>A good meal plan should fit in with your schedule and eating habits. The
>>right meal plan will also help keep your weight where it should be.

> Whether
>
>>you need to lose weight, gain weight, or stay where you are, your meal

> plan
>
>>can help.
>>
>>Tools
>>

>>Rate Your Plate
>>Plan your meal -- learn what will raise your blood glucose levels the

> most.
>

>>more can be found on the link below.
>>
>>http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...n/overview.jsp
>>
>>Thomas
>>
>>--
>>The American Diabetes Associations Web Site.

. ..

--
K'neH'a'Iw

Uncloaking, Shields up.
NoSpamo~

Low carb is the only way to go. The others don't do the job. The ADA
diet is a failure

Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
> [...]
>
> Finally, good advice is to stay away from alcohol. If you like an alcoholic
> drink now and then, ask your dietitian for advice.
>
> How do you set up a plan for eating healthy foods?
>

> You and your dietitian should work together to design a meal plan that's
> right for you and includes foods that you enjoy. A diabetes meal plan is a
> guide that tells you how much and what kinds of food you can choose to eat
> at meals and snack times.
>
> A good meal plan should fit in with your schedule and eating habits. The
> right meal plan will also help keep your weight where it should be. Whether
> you need to lose weight, gain weight, or stay where you are, your meal plan
> can help.
>
> Tools
>

> Rate Your Plate
> Plan your meal -- learn what will raise your blood glucose levels the most.

Julie Bove

"James McDone" > wrote in message
> My dad has type 2 Diabetes :-(. Which foods does he have to stay away

from?
> Are the foods that you have to stay away from when you have type 2

Diabetes
> the same food that you have to stay away from when you have Diabetes?

If only it were that simple! Alas, there is no one diet we all follow.
That being said, it is carbs that raise our BG the most. What foods contain
carbs? Fruit, juice, potatoes, pasta, corn, peas, dried beans, cereal,
bread, milk, gravies and sauces, sweets, regular soda, and many others.
Even foods like lettuce, green beans, and cottage cheese contain carbs,
although far less than the foods I listed in the first group.

Fat delays the absorption of carbs. So a little bit of fat in a meal is
good. A lot of fat is not.

Protein also converts to carbs, although I don't have the specific formula
for you.

His first stop should be to a dietician. You can go with him if you want.
The dietician will explain the various food groups, how to read nutrition
labels and what a portion size is. He or she will also devise a diet based
on height, weight, activity level, food preferences, etc. And hopefully,
the dietician will give a chart, some pamphlets, etc. that lists the various
foods and the breakdown thereof. Keep in mind that this is just a starting
point though. Many people find that the diet they are given contains too
many carbs to keep their BG (blood glucose) in line. Also, the body is the
most insulin resistant first thing in the morning. So many of us find we
have to eat less carbs then.

I have yet to meet a dietician with diabetes. I'm sure there are some out
there. I just haven't run across one. So what they tell you might look
good on paper, but might not work in real life. That's where the meter
comes in handy. Test before eating. Test at two hours after eating. The
numbers to aim for are <110 before eating and <120 at two hours after
eating. If your dad is getting these numbers, fine. If he's not, he needs
to make adjustments. Perhaps cut back on the carbs, do more exercise, more
meds or even different meds.

To further complicate things, some people find that certain foods spike
them. Potatoes, bread and fruit are things that a lot of diabetics find
they can't eat. I can't do rice except in really small amounts and mixed
into other foods. Pizza is another confusing food. Many of us get what we
call the "pizza effect". We might test fine at two hours after eating, the
then spike too high at 3-4 hours after eating. This is due to the high fat
content of many pizzas. I find that I can eat 1 or 2 slices of pizza from
some places, but not even one slice from others.

When dining out or at other people's houses, there's another factor to
consider. You don't know what they put in the food! A sauce might contain
sugar or cornstarch. Vegetables might even have some form of carbs added.
And when it comes to bread, there's no telling what's in there! I seem to
have the best luck dining out at chain restaurants that have a website where
I can look up the nutritional information of their food.

If in doubt about the food, it's almost always safe to order a salad and
some plain meat or fish. Diet or low/non-fat dressings often contain sugar
or other sweeteners so they have more carbs than the real stuff. And the
real stuff is often high in fats of the bad kind. Oil and vinegar is a good
choice for dressing, and a lemon wedge is good too. I'm not a big meat
eater, so I'll often order soup and salad. But you've got to watch that
soup too! It can have more carbs than you'd realize. And they might do
something silly like put it in a bread bowl. You just never know. I also
like buffets like Bonanza or Fresh Choice. When I eat there, I allow myself
as much salad as I want, taking only the stuff that's lower in carbs, like
lettuce, spinach, beets, eggs, cheese, etc. I then take the carbier food on
one plate, watching carefully what I take. One taco, two onion rings and
one bite of potato salad might be all I can handle in one meal. I always
look at the selections before choosing, taking only my really favorite
foods.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove

"NoSpamo~" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Low carb is the only way to go. The others don't do the job. The ADA
> diet is a failure

Not true. I don't do low carb, nor could I. We all need a diet that not
only works for our BG, but that we can stick to. I can stick to a low carb
diet for maybe 2 days.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
Proud member of the HuffNation. Vote for George!

Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds graham[_4_] General Cooking 29 10-07-2015 08:32 AM
GMO foods sf[_9_] General Cooking 6 21-11-2014 02:40 PM
Foods to help insomnia, and foods to avoid Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 25 06-06-2010 08:26 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 05:31 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy kungfuer[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 08:23 AM