TV dinners

Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default TV dinners

Since my granddaughter went to visit her sister, I have been alone. I
usually don't have the ambition to cook a real meal just for me so I have
been eating a lot of TV dinners. Sometimes I add a salad to the meal. I
especially like the label that tells me how many carbs are in the meal.

I like the Stouffer's, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones brands because they
have lower carb meals.

Anon

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anon" wrote in
:

Since my granddaughter went to visit her sister, I have been alone.
I usually don't have the ambition to cook a real meal just for me so
I have been eating a lot of TV dinners. Sometimes I add a salad to
the meal. I especially like the label that tells me how many carbs
are in the meal.

I like the Stouffer's, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones brands because
they have lower carb meals.

Anon

WOAH! Are you T1 or T2? TV dinners are so high in carbs - even the
lower carb ones are too high in carbs for me!

It's not that hard to cook up a chicken breast and some frozen veggies
and have a quick meal that way. If you have a cookbook that has
recipes for two, then you will have *two* meals for the work of one
rbg

Sherry
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:45:46 -0800, "Anon"
wrote:

Since my granddaughter went to visit her sister, I have been alone. I
usually don't have the ambition to cook a real meal just for me so I have
been eating a lot of TV dinners. Sometimes I add a salad to the meal. I
especially like the label that tells me how many carbs are in the meal.

I like the Stouffer's, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones brands because they
have lower carb meals.

Anon

I agree with the others on TV dinners.

Just a suggestion. Try cooking up meals in bulk - soups,
casseroles, stews and similar. Then freeze single serves in
individual packs. It only takes a few minutes to zap one in
the microwave and you can do all your cooking in one
afternoon every week or so.

I spent yesterday doing a little cooking. Over four hours
(most of it spent reading or watching TV, interrupted by the
timer occasionally to check things) I cooked up 8 serves of
curry,
http://tinyurl.com/26gsj9
six of beef burgundy
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-burgundy.html
and 11 serves of soup
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...able-soup.html

Overnight in the fridge to cool in bulk, into plastic
containers this morning.

That doesn't mean you have to eat soup for every lunch and
stew every night - but it does let you zap it quick and easy
when you don't feel like cooking something else.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article 42,
Sherry wrote:

"Anon" wrote in
:

Since my granddaughter went to visit her sister, I have been alone.
I usually don't have the ambition to cook a real meal just for me so
I have been eating a lot of TV dinners. Sometimes I add a salad to
the meal. I especially like the label that tells me how many carbs
are in the meal.

I like the Stouffer's, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones brands because
they have lower carb meals.

Anon

WOAH! Are you T1 or T2? TV dinners are so high in carbs - even the
lower carb ones are too high in carbs for me!

It's not that hard to cook up a chicken breast and some frozen veggies
and have a quick meal that way. If you have a cookbook that has
recipes for two, then you will have *two* meals for the work of one
rbg

I love my George Foreman grill to cook a boneless chicken breast to have
with a big pile of cooked frozen vegies. I often sprinkle the chicken
with seasoning (most recently, curry powder) before grilling it. From
the time I put on the kettle to boil water for the frozen vegies to when
I take my plate into the other room to eat it is about 20 minutes, with
most of that time spent listening to the radio while I wait for things
to finish.

The grill also works fabulously for boneless chops, etc.

Priscilla
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sherry" wrote in message
. 97.142...

WOAH! Are you T1 or T2? TV dinners are so high in carbs - even the
lower carb ones are too high in carbs for me!

It's not that hard to cook up a chicken breast and some frozen veggies
and have a quick meal that way. If you have a cookbook that has
recipes for two, then you will have *two* meals for the work of one
rbg

I no longer eat frozen meals because of my food allergies. But when I
didn't know about the allergies there were a few (granted very few) that I
could eat. Sometimes my daughter and I split one.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anon" wrote in message
Since my granddaughter went to visit her sister, I have been alone. I
usually don't have the ambition to cook a real meal just for me so I have
been eating a lot of TV dinners. Sometimes I add a salad to the meal. I
especially like the label that tells me how many carbs are in the meal.

I like the Stouffer's, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones brands because they
have lower carb meals.

Anon

Just choose well. The Healthy Choice Tukey Dinner has 22 grams of carb, 200
calories and 0 sugar, good choice. Unfortunately the pepperoni French bread
pizza is 49 carb grams, 5 grams sugar and weighs in at 350 calories. The
trick to any of this is to plan ahead about what you are buting, research
and READ the ingredients. You can still have your TV dinners and eat them
too

A good rule of thumb is to not use the dinners with a bread or rice base or
sweet sauces. I suppose for the zero carbers this won't work but as for me I
am a well controlled diabetic for 15 years (no damage) and use approcimatly
60-75 grams of carb per day. I do eat fruit, whole grain bread, Dreamfield's
pasta (all in moderation!) and I eat cake on my birthday.

You can check out the ingredients and nutrition on
http://www.healthychoice.com/product...s/simple_s.jsp for Healthy Choice
Meals.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Scruples" wrote in message
"Anon" wrote in message
[...]

I always read the label before buying. If it is very high carb, I don't get
it. Since I alternately use premeal insulin or Starlix, I can handle the
carbs.

My granddaughter will be back Friday, I haven't been doing so well since she
left.

Anon
T2

Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Scruples" wrote:

"Anon" wrote in message
[...]

There's only one zero carber I've seen post, and he was mentally
unstable as well as dishonest -- he actually was consuming carbs in the
vegetables he ate. He just ignored them.

To what zero carbers are you referring?

but as for me I
am a well controlled diabetic for 15 years (no damage) and use approcimatly
60-75 grams of carb per day. I do eat fruit, whole grain bread, Dreamfield's
pasta (all in moderation!) and I eat cake on my birthday.

You can check out the ingredients and nutrition on
http://www.healthychoice.com/product...s/simple_s.jsp for Healthy Choice
Meals.

Priscilla, T2
Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:36:26 -0500, "Scruples"
wrote:

"Anon" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I've found the hard way that labels are only a guide - and
often a very rough guide. Test an hour after a dinner the
first time you have it to see whether you should buy it
again.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:36:26 -0500, "Scruples"
wrote:

"Anon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've found that the labels on TV dinners are quite accurate. I can tell
because if I inject premeal insulin according to the net carb count, it
comes out about right every time.

Anon

Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm sorry to hear that, but not really surprised. IIRC he was divorced.
Sad really.

Cheri

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote in message ...

Yeah, he's popped up elsewhere and it appears that his mental state has
deteriorated quite considerably even from how it was when he was here.
He is seriously out to lunch. I feel sorry for any family he has.

Priscilla

Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message

Priscilla

To be fair, CDE trained carb counters don't count veggies unless they are
starchy ones like potatoes, peas, legumes, corn, etc.

That's not entirely true. If they amount to 15 g of carb they are supposed
to count them.

When DH was on orals and still making some insulin he was a trained
carb-counter. He did quite well on that regime. It was easier to handle
than that horrid exahange diet that could kill a DM with carbs.

Same thing. I still do the exchange program. No difference really. Still
adds up to the same.

He still carb counts with the pump. His Endo and CDE don't want him to
count carbs in non-starchy veggies. Tomatoes do not do him in.

But this guy said he didn't EAT any carbs. He wasn't talking about counting
them. And there are carbs in vegetables.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan Moorman wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the exchange diet, and I don't
understand the OP's contention that it could kill a DM with
carbs!

Whatever could they mean?

I find the exchange diet perfectly understandable, and used
it for many years. . .

Any copy of the ADA Exchange Diet I've seen has a high carb count. Full
of bread and starch and starchy snacks.

You are the exception as most DM's I've talked to don't understand the
exchange diet at all. The majority of them were given a sheet of paper
with the exchange diet by their PCP and a scrip for some oral meds and
sent on their way. You don't see them posting here. They wouldn't know
that they need education.

Most of those who are treated as above can't comprehend the exchange
diet and switch to diet soft drinks and artificial sweetner in their
coffee. They haven't a clue about the effect of carbohydrates.

I personally know several DMs who struggled with the exchange diet,
threw it away and only were able to get back in control when they
learned to count carbs. It's much less threatening, much easier to
understand, and much easier to test for results. I just sent a friend of
mine a carb counting book and for the first time in years, she's got a
better understanding of how things effect her BG.

When the local medical center has its free Senior screening, the nurse
reading the results of the BG test tells the patient to "avoid sweets"
when counseling them. Nothing about avoiding carbs. Every day I am
finding recipes that say they are for "diabetics" because they
substitute a sweetener for sugar. No counting the starch in the flour,
milk, etc. I even cancelled a subscription to a recipe magazine because
after writing to them twice to please refrain from calling recipes
"diabetic" when they were high in carbs, they never responded.

That's the way it is in the real world. I'm glad your world is a better
place.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

This is such a true post! It should be required reading IMO. :-)

Cheri

[...]

How do your dinners come together? Ludmillia General Cooking 9 31-08-2006 11:55 PM
How do your dinners come together? Ludmillia General Cooking 1 28-08-2006 01:15 PM
Dinners Ready Me General Cooking 27 15-06-2006 06:13 PM
Leftover dinners Tara General Cooking 2 08-02-2006 01:29 AM
Our Holiday Dinners Sam D. General Cooking 36 02-01-2004 12:59 AM