removing strong smoky smell from microwave

Old 25-08-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default removing strong smoky smell from microwave

My daughter apparently had a small catastrophe during the
night, and now the microwave oven has a strong smoky smell.
Is there a good way to get rid of it?
--
Jean B.
Old 25-08-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article , Jean B. wrote:
My daughter apparently had a small catastrophe during the
night, and now the microwave oven has a strong smoky smell.
Is there a good way to get rid of it?

Goodwill?

Donald
Old 25-08-2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Donald Tsang wrote:

In article , Jean B. wrote:

My daughter apparently had a small catastrophe during the
night, and now the microwave oven has a strong smoky smell.
Is there a good way to get rid of it?

Goodwill?

Donald

LOL! Let me be more specific: is there a good way to get rid
of the smell? :-)

--
Jean B.
Old 25-08-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:15 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

My daughter ...during the night,

and now the microwave strong smoky smell.

Is there a good way to get rid of it?

Did you mean "it" or her? vbg

Get a couple of fresh lemons, cut in half and put in a large bowl. Add
water to cover and heat until boiling for three minutes. Let the
oven shut off and keep the door closed until morning.

Lock her door and keep her out of the kitchen.

Good luck.

Old 25-08-2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Ward Abbott wrote:

Get a couple of fresh lemons, cut in half and put in a large bowl. Add
water to cover and heat until boiling for three minutes. Let the
oven shut off and keep the door closed until morning.

Lock her door and keep her out of the kitchen.

Good luck.

I was gonna suggest a paste of baking soda and water, but
that sure sounds a hellofalot easier Ward.

Ditto on the "out of the kitchen", that's sufficient for
being banned. ;-D

--
Steve
Old 26-08-2006, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Ward Abbott wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:15 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

My daughter ...during the night,

and now the microwave strong smoky smell.

Is there a good way to get rid of it?

Did you mean "it" or her? vbg

Get a couple of fresh lemons, cut in half and put in a large bowl. Add
water to cover and heat until boiling for three minutes. Let the
oven shut off and keep the door closed until morning.

Lock her door and keep her out of the kitchen.

Good luck.

I'll try the lemons, thanks!

As for my daughter, she's almost 16 and has to learn from such
mistakes. :-)

--
Jean B.
Old 26-08-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin wrote:

Ward Abbott wrote:

Get a couple of fresh lemons, cut in half and put in a large bowl. Add
water to cover and heat until boiling for three minutes. Let the
oven shut off and keep the door closed until morning.
Lock her door and keep her out of the kitchen.
Good luck.

I was gonna suggest a paste of baking soda and water, but that sure
sounds a hellofalot easier Ward.

Ditto on the "out of the kitchen", that's sufficient for being banned. ;-D

I was thinking of baking soda. If the lemons don't work, I'll
try that next.

I am actually glad my daughter is taking more initiative in
the kitchen, so I am only trying to find out exactly what she
did to satisfy my intense curiosity. At least the microwave
is still working!

--
Jean B.
Old 26-08-2006, 07:04 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

You could try wiping down the insides with vanilla essence. I know that
works for smells in the fridge. I agree that children need to learn how to
fend for themselves - the difficulty is where to draw the line between
learning from experience and possibly not living to tell the tale! I will
have to go through all this - my daughter is nearly 9 and very adventurous
in the kitchen. There but for the grace of god go I.....

Old 26-08-2006, 12:06 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:27:58 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Ward Abbott wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:15 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

My daughter ...during the night,

and now the microwave strong smoky smell.

Is there a good way to get rid of it?

Did you mean "it" or her? vbg

Get a couple of fresh lemons, cut in half and put in a large bowl. Add
water to cover and heat until boiling for three minutes. Let the
oven shut off and keep the door closed until morning.

Lock her door and keep her out of the kitchen.

Good luck.

I'll try the lemons, thanks!

As for my daughter, she's almost 16 and has to learn from such
mistakes. :-)

Print out the message and give it to the daughter and let her do it.
That is how she will learn from her mistakes.
--
Susan N.

Old 26-08-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

The Cook wrote:

Print out the message and give it to the daughter and let her do it.
That is how she will learn from her mistakes.

I like the way you think. Sounds like something I'da done. ;-)

I started cooking when I was five. I made a wisecrack about
how my Mom cooked eggs, not a good move. At least I didn't
think so at the time. In retrospect it got me started. At
52 I still enjoy cooking and do 99.9% of it in the house.

--
Steve
Old 26-08-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:15 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

My daughter apparently had a small catastrophe during the
night, and now the microwave oven has a strong smoky smell.
Is there a good way to get rid of it?

I once had this problem. A woman at work was cooking some popcorn.
Supposedly she set it for four minutes, but more likely it was 40. After it
was smoking away someone turned it off. What I did was to take it apart and
clean all the parts inside. I did not use anything special to clean with. I
just had to get the smoke residue off of everything.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old 27-08-2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Don Wiss wrote:

I once had this problem. A woman at work was cooking some popcorn.
Supposedly she set it for four minutes, but more likely it was 40. After it
was smoking away someone turned it off. What I did was to take it apart and
clean all the parts inside. I did not use anything special to clean with. I
just had to get the smoke residue off of everything.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I don't know that I'm ambitious enough to dissect it. I am
trying to keep it unplugged with the door ajar when not in use.

--
Jean B.
Old 27-08-2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Ward Abbott wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:15 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

My daughter ...during the night,

and now the microwave strong smoky smell.

Is there a good way to get rid of it?

Did you mean "it" or her? vbg

Get a couple of fresh lemons, cut in half and put in a large bowl. Add
water to cover and heat until boiling for three minutes. Let the
oven shut off and keep the door closed until morning.

Lock her door and keep her out of the kitchen.

Good luck.

I'll try the lemons, thanks!

As for my daughter, she's almost 16 and has to learn from such
mistakes. :-)

Print out the message and give it to the daughter and let her do it.
That is how she will learn from her mistakes.

Good idea. She can continue with the de-smoking!

--
Jean B.
Old 27-08-2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Viviane wrote:

You could try wiping down the insides with vanilla essence. I know that
works for smells in the fridge. I agree that children need to learn how to
fend for themselves - the difficulty is where to draw the line between
learning from experience and possibly not living to tell the tale! I will
have to go through all this - my daughter is nearly 9 and very adventurous
in the kitchen. There but for the grace of god go I.....

My daughter is very cautious--and sensible. She just had no
idea how to tackle the bagel. (Hmmm, She probably also
didn't know the directions are probably right there.) Good
luck, Viviane!

--
Jean B.
Old 27-08-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:31:03 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

I once had this problem. A woman at work was cooking some popcorn.
Supposedly she set it for four minutes, but more likely it was 40. After it
was smoking away someone turned it off. What I did was to take it apart and
clean all the parts inside. I did not use anything special to clean with. I
just had to get the smoke residue off of everything.

I don't know that I'm ambitious enough to dissect it. I am
trying to keep it unplugged with the door ajar when not in use.

Thinking more about this (it was almost 20 years ago), I didn't actually
dismantle it, but I took the cover off so I could get to all of the
insides.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).