Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Please explain mixer beaters

I bought a Mixmaster stainless steel stand-type mixer used, a great deal I
would think, at $5 (US) with original large and small steel bowls and 2 sets
of beaters.

I have wanted one ever since I saw M. Stewart using one on TV, while I was
still messing with a hand-held electric. I thought that I would cook more
and better things and I am beginning to do that.

The beaters are of two shapes:
-- one set is similar to the usual hand electric kind except one is normal,
and one is squarish (Why is that?)

--The other set are a sort of thick wire, shaped in spirals.

I just made Banana Bread using the spirals just to try it out, but it would
be nice to know what each type and shape is actually meant for.

Thanks,

Jesse

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Jesse" > wrote:
>I bought a Mixmaster stainless steel stand-type mixer used, a great deal I
> would think, at $5 (US) with original large and small steel bowls and 2
> sets
> of beaters.
>
> I have wanted one ever since I saw M. Stewart using one on TV, while I was
> still messing with a hand-held electric. I thought that I would cook more
> and better things and I am beginning to do that.
>
> The beaters are of two shapes:
> -- one set is similar to the usual hand electric kind except one is
> normal,
> and one is squarish (Why is that?)
>
> --The other set are a sort of thick wire, shaped in spirals.
>
> I just made Banana Bread using the spirals just to try it out, but it
> would
> be nice to know what each type and shape is actually meant for.

I'm not completely sure based on your description vs. seeing it first hand,
since I'm not familiar with this mixer, but I'll take a stab at it.

The set with one square and the other normal (round) is probably set up that
way for getting in the corner of the bowls that came with it without
hitting. The round one would be toward the bowl side and the square one
toward the bowl center (or I've got this backwards). If this is like other
mixers I've seen, the bowl sits on a rotating platform that swings in and
out to adjust for bowl size. The beater should be able to get very close to
the bowl wall. This set of beaters is for batters and thicker stuff.

The set with the wire is like a hand wisk, and is for whipping things like
cream and egg whites.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I'm not completely sure based on your description vs. seeing it first
hand,
> since I'm not familiar with this mixer, but I'll take a stab at it.
>
> The set with one square and the other normal (round) is probably set up

that
> way for getting in the corner of the bowls that came with it without
> hitting. The round one would be toward the bowl side and the square one
> toward the bowl center (or I've got this backwards). If this is like other
> mixers I've seen, the bowl sits on a rotating platform that swings in and
> out to adjust for bowl size. The beater should be able to get very close

> the bowl wall. This set of beaters is for batters and thicker stuff.
>
> The set with the wire is like a hand wisk, and is for whipping things like
> cream and egg whites.
>

> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

You described my mixer exactly and what you say about the beaters fits that
setup perfectly. Thanks.

Jesse

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Jesse" > wrote:

> > I'm not completely sure based on your description vs. seeing it first

> hand,
> > since I'm not familiar with this mixer, but I'll take a stab at it.
> >
> > The set with one square and the other normal (round) is probably set up

> that
> > way for getting in the corner of the bowls that came with it without
> > hitting. The round one would be toward the bowl side and the square one
> > toward the bowl center (or I've got this backwards). If this is like other
> > mixers I've seen, the bowl sits on a rotating platform that swings in and
> > out to adjust for bowl size. The beater should be able to get very close

> > the bowl wall. This set of beaters is for batters and thicker stuff.
> >
> > The set with the wire is like a hand wisk, and is for whipping things like
> > cream and egg whites.
> >

> > --
> > ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

> You described my mixer exactly and what you say about the beaters fits that
> setup perfectly. Thanks.
>
> Jesse

I have a similar mixer, and the spiral beaters you describe sound just
like my 'dough hooks' - they're meant for mixing dough, not whipping
things. I rarely use mine, since I generally knead bread doughs by hand
rather than using the mixer, but I have tried them at least once and
they worked quite well for the purpose.

You can see various models of Mixmasters at
<http://www.sunbeam.com/products.aspx?PCId=14> - there are even
instruction manuals available in PDF format, which include pictures of
the various beaters available.

--
Anne McGuire
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Anne McGuire" > wrote:
> I have a similar mixer, and the spiral beaters you describe sound just
> like my 'dough hooks' - they're meant for mixing dough, not whipping
> things. I rarely use mine, since I generally knead bread doughs by hand
> rather than using the mixer, but I have tried them at least once and
> they worked quite well for the purpose.
>
> You can see various models of Mixmasters at
> <http://www.sunbeam.com/products.aspx?PCId=14> - there are even
> instruction manuals available in PDF format, which include pictures of
> the various beaters available.

I think you are right about the spiral beaters. I took a look at the
instruction manuals you linked to. When the original poster said "wire", I
was thinking more of a thin wire whisk type beater. But looking at the
pictures, I see that they are probably dough hooks. They look exactly like
the dough hooks on my parents' old mixer.

The picture on page 7 of the first instruction manual listed explains the
different beaters pretty well:

http://www.sunbeam.com/manuals/2003/2345.pdf

Also, page 9 shows on the regular beaters how the one beater is shaped to be
close to the bowl wall.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )