Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Does anyone know of a Big Frying pan supplier ?

I am looking for supplier (in the UK) of a big pan the same as is
displayed on this page.

http://85.8.130.109/bigpan/

I think it is a cast iron frying pan, originating from Germany, but am
not too sure.

I've tried various outlets, but nobody appears to have any idea where
to locate one.

Any help or suggestions very welcome.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 7 Aug 2006 10:45:05 -0700, wrote:

>I am looking for supplier (in the UK) of a big pan the same as is
>displayed on this page.

http://85.8.130.109/bigpan/

>I think it is a cast iron frying pan, originating from Germany, but am
>not too sure.

If that sucker's made of cast iron, it would take a crane to move it.

Looks like a big paella pan with a divider; that's the only thing I've ever seen
that big, but I didn't think they were made of cast iron.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:38:11 -0400, pltrgyst
> wrote:

>On 7 Aug 2006 10:45:05 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I am looking for supplier (in the UK) of a big pan the same as is
>>displayed on this page.

http://85.8.130.109/bigpan/

>>I think it is a cast iron frying pan, originating from Germany, but am
>>not too sure.

>If that sucker's made of cast iron, it would take a crane to move it.
>
>Looks like a big paella pan with a divider; that's the only thing I've ever seen
>that big, but I didn't think they were made of cast iron.
>
>-- Larry

Not cast iron - too thin, and too smooth. Spun steel, I'm guessing,
with a divider welded in at a later stage of construction. Impressive
at any rate. Have seen Paella pans about 24 inches in diameter in a
shop in Oxford, but the metal was a lot thinner that can be deduced
from the photos.

Regards
JonH
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote:
> Not cast iron - too thin, and too smooth. Spun steel, I'm guessing,
> with a divider welded in at a later stage of construction. Impressive
> at any rate. Have seen Paella pans about 24 inches in diameter in a
> shop in Oxford, but the metal was a lot thinner that can be deduced
> from the photos.

To me, the pan has a definite "cast" look to it, aside from the divider. In
particular, look at the "helper" handles in this photo:

http://85.8.130.109/bigpan/IMG_3781.JPG

I don't think it is either too thin or too smooth to be cast iron. I've got
a 70 year old WIRCO cast iron skillet that is very thin, which might be
expected considering it was made by the Wrought Iron Range Company (WIRCO).
The thickness on old cast iron stoves was quite thin to get the weight down,
so it can be done for other large castings.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I don't think it is either too thin or too smooth to be cast iron. I've got
> a 70 year old WIRCO cast iron skillet that is very thin, which might be
> expected considering it was made by the Wrought Iron Range Company (WIRCO).
> The thickness on old cast iron stoves was quite thin to get the weight down,
> so it can be done for other large castings.
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

I know very little about iron at all, but have the advantage of having
seen the thing in the flesh.

I think it is cast. There are no welds at all, and the metal is thick.

The thing is also damned heavy, it takes at least two male adults to
lift it, and then they really struggle.

So if it is cast, anyone any ideas ?.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote:
> So if it is cast, anyone any ideas ?.

Well, I did some googling, and found someone else that has the same pan in
Pennsylvania, USA. Take a look at the following news release and pictu

http://www.visitcentralpa.org/Press+Releases/123.aspx
http://www.gsvcc.org/images/BigBurger.gif

The news release mentions the pan is cast iron and was made in Germany, like
you said. This particular one doesn't have the divider, so I presume the one
you saw was added. I suppose one could contact the restaurant mentioned to
ask where they got the pan if all else failed.

I'll do a little more looking to see if I find anything else. What produced
the search results in google giving the above links was the following
string:

"cast iron" ("frying pan","skillet") "34 inches"

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Well, I did some googling, and found someone else that has the same pan in
> Pennsylvania, USA. Take a look at the following news release and pictu
>
> http://www.visitcentralpa.org/Press+Releases/123.aspx
> http://www.gsvcc.org/images/BigBurger.gif
>
> The news release mentions the pan is cast iron and was made in Germany, like
> you said. This particular one doesn't have the divider, so I presume the one
> you saw was added. I suppose one could contact the restaurant mentioned to
> ask where they got the pan if all else failed.
>
> I'll do a little more looking to see if I find anything else. What produced
> the search results in google giving the above links was the following
> string:
>
> "cast iron" ("frying pan","skillet") "34 inches"
>
> --

Fantastic googling , and thanks very much, I hadnt managed to find
anything similar so this is fantastic news.

I'll try and find the restaurant on the net, and let the group know of
either success or failure.

Once again, thanks a lot.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> string:
>
> "cast iron" ("frying pan","skillet") "34 inches"

I'm intrigued by the search syntax. Could you explain?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote:
>> string:
>>
>> "cast iron" ("frying pan","skillet") "34 inches"
>>

> I'm intrigued by the search syntax. Could you explain?

It means search...

MUST include the exact string "cast iron"
AND
MUST include EITHER
the exact string "frying pan"
OR
the word "skillet"
AND
MUST include the exact string "34 inches"

Quotations indicate exact string required.
Paretheses with words or strings separated by commas indicate choice of
required strings or words.

There are different ways to construct the search depending if you put it in
the google advanced search boxes of "with all the words", "with the exact
phrase", "with at least one of the words", or "without the words". I tend to
construct my searches by putting the entire query always in the "with all
the words" box, as I did with the above search.

Hope this helps.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 9 Aug 2006 22:20:15 -0700, wrote:

>> string:
>>
>> "cast iron" ("frying pan","skillet") "34 inches"

>I'm intrigued by the search syntax. Could you explain?

See
http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/refinesearch.html and
others linked from that page.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Hope this helps.

It does help, and thank you for taking the time to explain.
Now, off to more efficient searching......

Elderberry supplier M Lawson Winemaking 3 30-08-2006 09:03 PM
Looking for a supplier of fresh tea Konrad Tea 7 20-02-2006 06:17 AM
Supplier for Parts Alan Barbecue 2 17-03-2005 11:06 PM
Chocolate supplier in UK Vaughan Harris Chocolate 0 23-08-2004 12:07 PM
Bottle supplier greg boyd Winemaking 1 24-10-2003 07:15 PM