Aluminum in the Dishwasher

Old 04-08-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Aluminum in the Dishwasher

I have an old ice cream scoop that I unthinkingly put into the
dishwasher the other day. It's now rough and discolored. Is there
anything I can do to fix it - and if not, will it hurt anything to keep
washing it in the dishwasher? I'll be glad to hand wash it if I can get
it back to the way it was before.

Karen
Old 04-08-2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Karen Wheless" wrote

I have an old ice cream scoop that I unthinkingly put into the
dishwasher the other day. It's now rough and discolored. Is there
anything I can do to fix it - and if not, will it hurt anything to keep
washing it in the dishwasher? I'll be glad to hand wash it if I can get
it back to the way it was before.

Karen

I don't think there's any way you can, Karen; I did the same thing. There
are only three choices: use it the way it is and don't worry (my method);
throw it away and get a new one; never, never put an aluminum anything in
the DW again!

A friend was ill and I took her some food. Her caregiver put my favorite,
large (aluminum) baking pan in their DW and gave me back a sorry-looking
mess. I don't believe she realized it. Stuff happens.

Dora

Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Karen Wheless wrote:

I have an old ice cream scoop that I unthinkingly put into the
dishwasher the other day. It's now rough and discolored. Is there
anything I can do to fix it - and if not, will it hurt anything to keep
washing it in the dishwasher? I'll be glad to hand wash it if I can get
it back to the way it was before.

Karen

It's unlikely it had any special finish originally so all that should be
required to resurrect it is a good polishing. This would be a polishing
with a power buffer and compound like it probably received at the
factory after the casting flash was ground off, not a hand polishing.

I have some aluminum baking half sheets that specifically state they are
dishwasher safe. They do discolor a bit in the dishwasher but seem to
suffer no ill effects beyond the cosmetic.

Pete C.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

I put aluminium in the dishwasher. For me the discolouration is a small
price to pay for getting things washed properly - anyway I hate handwashing
dishes and laundry. If the discolouration really bothers you, maybe you
could try some enamel paint but it's probably more trouble than it's worth
and more expensive than buying a new scoop!

news:1hjif8w.1qz7heumepaqwN%karenwheless@bellsouth .net...

Old 04-08-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

T wrote:

I don't mind handwashing at all. hot/warm wash and cold rinse. Gets
dishes as clean and then some as opposed to my dishwasher. And usually I
just do it right after we've eaten so there isn't a sink full of dishes
to clean.

Pots and pans get rinsed as soon as they're done being used, then washed
at the end of dinner.

Hand washing does *not* get dishes as clean as a dishwasher. A
dishwasher uses water hotter than your hands could stand which allows it
to clean better and sanitize better than hand washing and an additional
benefit is that it uses significantly less water and energy that hand
washing.

It's certainly not true in all cases, but a dishwasher is one where the
modern convenience item really is better and less wasteful than the old
way.

Pete C.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:26:56 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

which allows it
to clean better and sanitize better than hand washing and an additional
benefit is that it uses significantly less water

Peter...we are in a "pickle" here. Having "some" germs in our body
create antibodies...which help us more than you know.

A perfectly sterile environment probably does more damage than we can
permit. Building resistance to natural "germs" is how this planet
has been permitted to survive.

Get off this "clean" freak tangent.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

which allows it
to clean better and sanitize better than hand washing and an additional
benefit is that it uses significantly less water

Peter...we are in a "pickle" here. Having "some" germs in our body
create antibodies...which help us more than you know.

A perfectly sterile environment probably does more damage than we can
permit. Building resistance to natural "germs" is how this planet
has been permitted to survive.

Get off this "clean" freak tangent.

Absolutely excessively clean environments harm our immune systems,
however a dishwasher is a long way from creating a perfectly sterile
environment. The water and energy savings are still a benefit as well.

Pete C.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Viviane wrote:

I really must start saying I use the dishwasher on environmental grounds
rather than out of sheer laziness!

Well, it is true at least. Significantly lower total volume of water
used in a dishwasher cycle than hand washing and less water heating
energy than hand washing as well.

Pete C.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"T" wrote in message

I don't mind handwashing at all. hot/warm wash and cold rinse. Gets
dishes as clean and then some as opposed to my dishwasher. And usually I
just do it right after we've eaten so there isn't a sink full of dishes
to clean.

You need a better machine. Modern dish washers and the proper detergent can
clean and sanitize better than you can do by hand.