Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Furi Tech Edge Pro Knife Sharpening System

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=9872

I saw this on Food network Kitchen Gadgets "Furi Tech Edge Pro Knife
Sharpening System."

I saw them demonstrating/sharpening the santoku knife with this, but it said
that it would sharpen any knife.
Has anyone seen or used this?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:
> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=9872
>
> I saw this on Food network Kitchen Gadgets "Furi Tech Edge Pro Knife
> Sharpening System."
>

> I saw them demonstrating/sharpening the santoku knife with this, but it said
> that it would sharpen any knife.
> Has anyone seen or used this?
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

I have one and my tests are not complete but yes, it will sharpen every
knife but not very well.

Steve

Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I have tested this product and found that it did a decent job of Honing
the knife, not sharpening. Honing a knife is different than sharpening
a knife. Honing is the process of realigning the blade while
sharpening actually is a process to remove and reshape the blade. A
knife should be regularly maintained on a honing steel or with a
product such as this. Depending on how often your knives are used and
on what surfaces, your knife should be professionally sharpened on
average once a year. Remember never to cut on glass, marble or your
countertops, just wood or thick plastic. Never put your knives in the
dishwasher! So to answer your question this is a good honing steel,
instead of having a metal rod with a handle you have what they refer to
as fingers that help the user keep the proper 20 degree angle needed
when honing a knife. Also this product and any other sharpener on the
market as much as they say they can sharpen serrated blades....they
can't. That in itself could justify another thread just on that topic.

Chef Dom
www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I have one. While I agree that it hones an edge pretty well, it won't
sharpen a dull blade. Also, I just think the thing is too expensive.
Better to get a very good ceramic "steel" and use it properly.