Ray & Kathy Albertson

Default All-Clad Stainless Roasting Pan: NO aluminum core

I've been researching roasting pans for some time and noted that All-Clad
makes a very highly regarded set of stainless steel roasting pans. Some
advertisers (even the Bed Bath & Beyond web site) assert that these roasters
are stainless clad onto an aluminum core, yet I've seen previous threads on
Usenet that suggest that they are 100% stainless with *no* aluminum core.
To get the facts on this I got on the phone (today, May 5, 2004) with Chris
in Consumer Relations at All-Clad (724-745-8300) and asked him about this.
He confirmed that the roti pans (in the Stainless) line do not have aluminum
cores.

It seems odd to me that the web introduction to the Stainless line on
All-Clad's site (http://www.all-clad.com/prodstainless.asp) asserts that the
products in the Stainless line contain a "Pure aluminum core that not only
covers the bottom of the pan but also extends up the sides" yet there is no
disclaimer that this does not apply to the roasting pans--even when you
click through to items 5014 and 5016.

So it seems that even the usually omniscient Alton Brown appears to have
been misled when he indicated on p. 63 of "Gear For Your Kitchen" that the
All-Clad petite roti was clad.

So who makes the HEAVIEST stainless roasting plan that also has an aluminum
core?

--Ray

Peter Aitken

"Ray & Kathy Albertson" > wrote in message
> I've been researching roasting pans for some time and noted that All-Clad
> makes a very highly regarded set of stainless steel roasting pans. Some
> advertisers (even the Bed Bath & Beyond web site) assert that these

roasters
> are stainless clad onto an aluminum core, yet I've seen previous threads

on
> Usenet that suggest that they are 100% stainless with *no* aluminum core.
> To get the facts on this I got on the phone (today, May 5, 2004) with

Chris
> in Consumer Relations at All-Clad (724-745-8300) and asked him about this.
> He confirmed that the roti pans (in the Stainless) line do not have

aluminum
> cores.
>
> It seems odd to me that the web introduction to the Stainless line on
> All-Clad's site (http://www.all-clad.com/prodstainless.asp) asserts that

the
> products in the Stainless line contain a "Pure aluminum core that not only
> covers the bottom of the pan but also extends up the sides" yet there is

no
> disclaimer that this does not apply to the roasting pans--even when you
> click through to items 5014 and 5016.
>
> So it seems that even the usually omniscient Alton Brown appears to have
> been misled when he indicated on p. 63 of "Gear For Your Kitchen" that the
> All-Clad petite roti was clad.
>
> So who makes the HEAVIEST stainless roasting plan that also has an

aluminum
> core?
>
> --Ray

For roasting alone the weight or material of the pan is irrelevent. Only if
you use the pan on the stove top does it become a factor. I gnerally do not
like Calphalon pans but their large roasting pan has been great - not clad
but something to consider.

--
Peter Aitken

Ray & Kathy Albertson

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> For roasting alone the weight or material of the pan is irrelevent. Only

if
> you use the pan on the stove top does it become a factor. I gnerally do

not
> like Calphalon pans but their large roasting pan has been great - not clad
> but something to consider.

Thanks, Peter--I'll check it out. My main interest, however, is browning
massive quantities of meat on the stove for later integration into chili, so
stove-top performance is important to me.

Regards, --Ray

Sheellah

Kitchenaid makes a fully clad stainless roaster for about $150, and both
Calphalon (Tri-ply stainless line) and Anaolon Commercial clad have fully clad
stainless ones for about $100.

<< Thanks, Peter--I'll check it out. My main interest, however, is browning
massive quantities of meat on the stove for later integration into chili, so
stove-top performance is important to me.

Regards, --Ray

Charles Demas

In article >,
Ray & Kathy Albertson > wrote:

>"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
>> For roasting alone the weight or material of the pan is irrelevent. Only

>if
>> you use the pan on the stove top does it become a factor. I gnerally do

>not
>> like Calphalon pans but their large roasting pan has been great - not clad
>> but something to consider.

>Thanks, Peter--I'll check it out. My main interest, however, is browning
>massive quantities of meat on the stove for later integration into chili, so
>stove-top performance is important to me.

Maybe you should consider cast iron. You can buy lots of cast iron
for the cost of one roaster.

You could also buy a large cast iron kettle and a Louisiana rig and do
your browning outside. :-)

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

Ray & Kathy Albertson

"Sheellah" > wrote in message
> Kitchenaid makes a fully clad stainless roaster for about $150, and both
> Calphalon (Tri-ply stainless line) and Anaolon Commercial clad have fully

clad
> stainless ones for about $100.

Thanks for the tip--I just found the Anolon Commercial for $65 at
http://www.napastyle.com/store/product.jsp?sku=1478 with $12.75 shipping.
Is there any reason to keep looking? Charles' suggestion about cast-iron is
a good one, but in my marriage I can often negotiate shiny multi-tasking
(but expensive) items over storage-intensive, heavy, and dirty-looking
items! --Ray

Maverick

"Ray & Kathy Albertson" > wrote in message

<<snip>>

> Thanks for the tip--I just found the Anolon Commercial for $65 at
> http://www.napastyle.com/store/product.jsp?sku=1478 with $12.75 shipping.
> Is there any reason to keep looking? Charles' suggestion about cast-iron

is
> a good one, but in my marriage I can often negotiate shiny multi-tasking
> (but expensive) items over storage-intensive, heavy, and dirty-looking
> items! --Ray

You could always get a cast-iron griddle. This will let you brown the meats
and will also give you something to use to make pancakes and such...

Bret

Fred

"Ray & Kathy Albertson" > wrote in message
> I've been researching roasting pans for some time and noted that All-Clad
> makes a very highly regarded set of stainless steel roasting pans. Some
> advertisers (even the Bed Bath & Beyond web site) assert that these

roasters
> are stainless clad onto an aluminum core, yet I've seen previous threads

on
> Usenet that suggest that they are 100% stainless with *no* aluminum core.
> To get the facts on this I got on the phone (today, May 5, 2004) with

Chris
> in Consumer Relations at All-Clad (724-745-8300) and asked him about this.
> He confirmed that the roti pans (in the Stainless) line do not have

aluminum
> cores.
>
> It seems odd to me that the web introduction to the Stainless line on
> All-Clad's site (http://www.all-clad.com/prodstainless.asp) asserts that

the
> products in the Stainless line contain a "Pure aluminum core that not only
> covers the bottom of the pan but also extends up the sides" yet there is

no
> disclaimer that this does not apply to the roasting pans--even when you
> click through to items 5014 and 5016.
>
> So it seems that even the usually omniscient Alton Brown appears to have
> been misled when he indicated on p. 63 of "Gear For Your Kitchen" that the
> All-Clad petite roti was clad.
>
> So who makes the HEAVIEST stainless roasting plan that also has an

aluminum
> core?
>
> --Ray

Kitchen Aid by Meyer Cookware.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Ray & Kathy Albertson" > wrote in message

> > So who makes the HEAVIEST stainless roasting plan that also has an

> aluminum
> > core?

Truth is, the aluminum core is really not crucial in a roasting pan.
Ed

Sheellah

You might also look at the Cuisinart MultiClad braiser. It's 12.5" in diameter,
but has a lot of bottom area. If you don't roast very large pieces of meat that
might work for you, and it's quite useful for many other cooking tasks with a
beautiful domed cover. It's fully clad stainless, of good weight, and about $48
on Amazon now. Also look at the oval enameled cast iron roaster from Daniel
Boulud there for about $35. Also, the Innova Color Cast enameled lasagna pan,
also there. It's about the same size as Le Creuset's small iron roaster, and
costs under $30. All ship free from there too, and come in pretty enamel colors
;-).