Jeffrey Dunnam

Default Korin Japanese Knife sharpening video

I was in NYC about a month and a half ago and finally made it to Korin. This
place sells the ultra high end Japanese knives that the Iron Chef Morimoto,
Eric Rippert of Le Bernadin, and many other famous chefs use. The last time
I tried to go there was the morning of 9/11. This place is just a couple of
blocks from where the WTC was, and the only reason my wife and I weren't
there that a.m. was that I had slept poorly the previous night and slept in
a little at our hotel.

ANYWAY, if you're into knives this is a must-do next time your in NYC. But
the main reason I am writing this post is that they now sell a video of how
to use waterstones correctly to sharpen a Japanese knife. The video goes
into how to sharpen a Japanese western style chef's knife, a yanigaba (sp?)
sushi slicing knife, and a petty. I have a couple of carbon Japanese
knives,( Takayuki), various Globals and some Kershaw Shuns. I am
considering one day buying a Nenox or two. I have an EdgePro and get good
results sharpening my knives on it. However, for these knives, I wanted to
learn how the Japanese sharpen them. This video is a very good starting
place. After practicing for a couple of hours using what I have learned, I
can say that I am at least as happy with the results as I am the results
with the EdgePro and improving.

I am in no way affiliated with Korin; just a satisifed customer. I have also
just seen that Murray Carter, who is a Canadian-born ABS certified
knifemaker, who lives and works in Japan, now also has a video out. I have
not seen it and cannot vouch for it. He does make nice knives though.

Arturo

Thank you for this post. I too have the edge pro and a couple of Japanese knive
from them. The Misono chef's knife and an aritsugo carbon veggie knife. I'd
really like to make sure i'm giving my knives the best care.

Arturo

>Subject: Korin Japanese Knife sharpening video
>From: "Jeffrey Dunnam"
>Date: 4/27/2004 10:04 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>I was in NYC about a month and a half ago and finally made it to Korin. This
>place sells the ultra high end Japanese knives that the Iron Chef Morimoto,
>Eric Rippert of Le Bernadin, and many other famous chefs use. The last time
>I tried to go there was the morning of 9/11. This place is just a couple of
>blocks from where the WTC was, and the only reason my wife and I weren't
>there that a.m. was that I had slept poorly the previous night and slept in
>a little at our hotel.
>
>ANYWAY, if you're into knives this is a must-do next time your in NYC. But
>the main reason I am writing this post is that they now sell a video of how
>to use waterstones correctly to sharpen a Japanese knife. The video goes
>into how to sharpen a Japanese western style chef's knife, a yanigaba (sp?)
>sushi slicing knife, and a petty. I have a couple of carbon Japanese
>knives,( Takayuki), various Globals and some Kershaw Shuns. I am
>considering one day buying a Nenox or two. I have an EdgePro and get good
>results sharpening my knives on it. However, for these knives, I wanted to
>learn how the Japanese sharpen them. This video is a very good starting
>place. After practicing for a couple of hours using what I have learned, I
>can say that I am at least as happy with the results as I am the results
>with the EdgePro and improving.
>
>I am in no way affiliated with Korin; just a satisifed customer. I have also
>just seen that Murray Carter, who is a Canadian-born ABS certified
>knifemaker, who lives and works in Japan, now also has a video out. I have
>not seen it and cannot vouch for it. He does make nice knives though.

Steve B

Ian Kirby's book "Sharpening with Waterstones" is a good resource,
although it is mostly about woodworking tools and has only 4 pages on
knives.

Steve
--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications