Bob Gelb

Default jennair RIP OFF

Well, after 15 years, I replaced my downdraft jennair electric stove with a
new one. I am selling the house, and replaced it with the only electric
stove with a downdraft, yes, another jennair. Cost me over $1600. Since I am
backing it to a wall, I needed the "optional" backsplash. It cost me $97.00.
When I got the backsplash unit, it was no more than a 30" x 4" piece of
sheet metal painted black with two brackets. The whole thing is worth no
more than $10.00. I wrote Jennair and told them after spending $1600 for one
of their stoves, i feel ripped off to spend an addl $97 for a $10 piece of
painted sheet metal. As I expected, I got the typical email from them ,
thanking me for my comments. No more Jennair's for me....in my new house, I
will not even consider them anymore...

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob Gelb" > wrote in message
> It cost me $97.00.
> When I got the backsplash unit, it was no more than a 30" x 4" piece of
> sheet metal painted black with two brackets. The whole thing is worth no
> more than $10.00. I wrote Jennair and told them after spending $1600 for

one
> of their stoves, i feel ripped off to spend an addl $97 for a $10 piece of
> painted sheet metal. As I expected, I got the typical email from them ,
> thanking me for my comments. No more Jennair's for me....in my new house,

> will not even consider them anymore...

Not just Jenn-air. Most manufacturers have items like that. Want to
install wood flooring? Check out the prices for matching trim. Need a
replacement part? Just bend over and bring your own lubricant.

Try some industrial equipment. New valve is $500. New gasket kit is $250,
replacement spring $150. Actual value of both: $15. The list goes on and
on.

If you decided to make your own backsplash you'd probably spend more than
the $97 to get the metal cut, painted, brackets, etc. Sure it cost 10 bucks
in volume, but they got you by the cajones so they just gently squeeze them.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Vox Humana

"Bob Gelb" > wrote in message
om...
> Well, after 15 years, I replaced my downdraft jennair electric stove with

> new one. I am selling the house, and replaced it with the only electric
> stove with a downdraft, yes, another jennair. Cost me over $1600. Since I

am
> backing it to a wall, I needed the "optional" backsplash. It cost me

$97.00.
> When I got the backsplash unit, it was no more than a 30" x 4" piece of
> sheet metal painted black with two brackets. The whole thing is worth no
> more than $10.00. I wrote Jennair and told them after spending $1600 for

one
> of their stoves, i feel ripped off to spend an addl $97 for a $10 piece of
> painted sheet metal. As I expected, I got the typical email from them ,
> thanking me for my comments. No more Jennair's for me....in my new house,

> will not even consider them anymore...

There are a lot of reasons not to buy a Jennair range. I don't think the
example you is near the top of the list. Any time you buy parts or
accessories for an appliance you are going to pay a price that is out of
proportion to the purchase price of the appliance. For instance, I just
replaced the grill that covers the downdraft vent and it was $90. The
aluminum filter that goes in the downdraft opening -- $20. Igniter - $33.
Replacement burner module - $150. Grill grates - $40/set. Electronic oven
controller board - $285.

Peter Aitken

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Bob Gelb" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Well, after 15 years, I replaced my downdraft jennair electric stove

with
> > new one. I am selling the house, and replaced it with the only electric
> > stove with a downdraft, yes, another jennair. Cost me over $1600. Since

> am
> > backing it to a wall, I needed the "optional" backsplash. It cost me

> $97.00.
> > When I got the backsplash unit, it was no more than a 30" x 4" piece of
> > sheet metal painted black with two brackets. The whole thing is worth no
> > more than $10.00. I wrote Jennair and told them after spending $1600 for

> one
> > of their stoves, i feel ripped off to spend an addl $97 for a $10 piece

of
> > painted sheet metal. As I expected, I got the typical email from them ,
> > thanking me for my comments. No more Jennair's for me....in my new

house,
> > will not even consider them anymore...

> There are a lot of reasons not to buy a Jennair range. I don't think the
> example you is near the top of the list. Any time you buy parts or
> accessories for an appliance you are going to pay a price that is out of
> proportion to the purchase price of the appliance. For instance, I just
> replaced the grill that covers the downdraft vent and it was $90. The
> aluminum filter that goes in the downdraft opening -- $20. Igniter -

$33.
> Replacement burner module - $150. Grill grates - $40/set. Electronic

oven
> controller board - $285.

I recall reading that if you bought all the parts required to assemble an
$18,000 Ford Taurus it would cost you $80,000 or some such.

--
Peter Aitken

Vox Humana

om...

,
> > > thanking me for my comments. No more Jennair's for me....in my new

> house,
> > > will not even consider them anymore...

> > There are a lot of reasons not to buy a Jennair range. I don't think

the
> > example you is near the top of the list. Any time you buy parts or
> > accessories for an appliance you are going to pay a price that is out of
> > proportion to the purchase price of the appliance. For instance, I just
> > replaced the grill that covers the downdraft vent and it was $90. The
> > aluminum filter that goes in the downdraft opening -- $20. Igniter -

> $33.
> > Replacement burner module - $150. Grill grates - $40/set. Electronic

> oven
> > controller board - $285.
> >

> I recall reading that if you bought all the parts required to assemble an
> $18,000 Ford Taurus it would cost you $80,000 or some such.

Someday when I have nothing to do, I indent to go to Repairclinic.com and
add up the price of all the parts for my Jennair range. I'm sure it would
be thousands!