Ken Greenebaum

Default Thermador RDDS30VRS oven died

My Thermador Dual Fuel RDDS30VRS Range/Oven died. Actually only the
oven controller isn't functioning, the rangetop, and oven light work
as expected.

Any ideas? Anyone have the service manual? Wonder what the
controller costs for this device? It certainly was expensive enough
new. I don' even know how to disassemble this unit...

Symptoms:
- No display at all including time
- Pressing bake, convection, etc. makes a click as if a relay was
thrown then even if the temp was set by hitting + the a 2nd click is
heard and nothing happens
- The device is definitely getting power...

Please send any ideas to

Thanks!

-Ken
Vox Humana

"Ken Greenebaum" > wrote in message
om...
> My Thermador Dual Fuel RDDS30VRS Range/Oven died. Actually only the
> oven controller isn't functioning, the rangetop, and oven light work
> as expected.
>
> Any ideas? Anyone have the service manual? Wonder what the
> controller costs for this device? It certainly was expensive enough
> new. I don' even know how to disassemble this unit...
>
> Symptoms:
> - No display at all including time
> - Pressing bake, convection, etc. makes a click as if a relay was
> thrown then even if the temp was set by hitting + the a 2nd click is
> heard and nothing happens
> - The device is definitely getting power...
>
> Please send any ideas to

It sounds like the controller board got zapped. The controller board in my
JennAir Dual Fuel range died last year. I bought a new board from
www.repairclinic.com and switched it out myself. They have a 30 day return
policy and will take back electronic parts, so if you decide to change the
board and the problem isn't solved, they will take back the part. My oven
had two likely problems: the main controller board or the clock/display
board, so I asked about the return policy before buying the part. The
biggest issue in changing out the board was keeping track of the couple of
dozen wires that were connected to it. Many were part of wring harnesses
and had indexed plugs, but there where other wires (many the same color)
that were attached to screw terminals. I made a diagram and took several
pictures with my digital camera before removing any wires. It all went very
smoothly except that I forgot to reattach the wire for the oven door motor
and when I tried to run the cleaning cycle it wouldn't latch the door and
the cycle would cancel without giving any error code. After checking the
board, I found the wire and attached it to its terminal.

Peter Aitken

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Ken Greenebaum" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My Thermador Dual Fuel RDDS30VRS Range/Oven died. Actually only the
> > oven controller isn't functioning, the rangetop, and oven light work
> > as expected.
> >
> > Any ideas? Anyone have the service manual? Wonder what the
> > controller costs for this device? It certainly was expensive enough
> > new. I don' even know how to disassemble this unit...
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > - No display at all including time
> > - Pressing bake, convection, etc. makes a click as if a relay was
> > thrown then even if the temp was set by hitting + the a 2nd click is
> > heard and nothing happens
> > - The device is definitely getting power...
> >
> > Please send any ideas to

> It sounds like the controller board got zapped. The controller board in

my
> JennAir Dual Fuel range died last year. I bought a new board from

www.repairclinic.com and switched it out myself. They have a 30 day
return
> policy and will take back electronic parts, so if you decide to change the
> board and the problem isn't solved, they will take back the part. My oven
> had two likely problems: the main controller board or the clock/display
> board, so I asked about the return policy before buying the part. The
> biggest issue in changing out the board was keeping track of the couple of
> dozen wires that were connected to it. Many were part of wring harnesses
> and had indexed plugs, but there where other wires (many the same color)
> that were attached to screw terminals. I made a diagram and took several
> pictures with my digital camera before removing any wires. It all went

very
> smoothly except that I forgot to reattach the wire for the oven door motor
> and when I tried to run the cleaning cycle it wouldn't latch the door and
> the cycle would cancel without giving any error code. After checking the
> board, I found the wire and attached it to its terminal.

Story on the local news about someone who bought a $6000 thermador range and
the oven broke down 6 or 8 times in the first 6 months. She finally got it
replaced and the new unit was broken on installation! She had to get the
local news' "troubleshooter" person to help her get a refund.

Sounds like a brand to stay away from.

--
Peter Aitken