Rob

Default Walk-in cooler as smokehouse?

Can the materials used to make a walk-in cooler with stand the 200 -
300 degrees temps required to smoke cook meats?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rob" > wrote in message
om...
> Can the materials used to make a walk-in cooler with stand the 200 -
> 300 degrees temps required to smoke cook meats?

No. Most coolers have foam insulation that is rated for no more than 180
degrees.
Ed

Vox Humana

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...

> "Rob" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Can the materials used to make a walk-in cooler with stand the 200 -
> > 300 degrees temps required to smoke cook meats?

> No. Most coolers have foam insulation that is rated for no more than 180
> degrees.

I didn't realized that smoking was done at a high temperature. Is there a
cold smoking process?

Dave Bugg

Vox Humana wrote:

> I didn't realized that smoking was done at a high temperature. Is
> there a cold smoking process?

In reality, the term "smoking" SHOULD automatically refer to the
preservative process done at low temperatures. However, some folks
mistakenly interchange the term "smoking" and "barbecue". Sorta like the
way many folks mis-use the term "barbecue" when they are really talking
about "grilling". So an unnecessary distinction has been developed to
satisfy the intransigent: "hot smoking" is frequently blathered as a
replacement for "barbecue", and "cold smoking" is used to identify true
smoking, which is the preservative process.
Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> I didn't realized that smoking was done at a high temperature. Is there a
> cold smoking process?

Yes, as Dave pointed out, smoke cooking is making barbecue. Pork shoulder
for pulled pork, briskets, etc.

Cols smoking is a method of curing meats. This is how hams, bacon, some
sausages are made. It is generally done at about 100 degrees. Smoke is
generated by a fire away from the smokehouse and the smoke is piped to it.
Or a hotplate and pan with wood chips or sawdust.

You can see my smoker on my web page. I can do either process in it.
Actually, cold smoking can be done in a cardboard box.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Rob

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > I didn't realized that smoking was done at a high temperature. Is there a
> > cold smoking process?
> >

> Yes, as Dave pointed out, smoke cooking is making barbecue. Pork shoulder
> for pulled pork, briskets, etc.
>
> Cols smoking is a method of curing meats. This is how hams, bacon, some
> sausages are made. It is generally done at about 100 degrees. Smoke is
> generated by a fire away from the smokehouse and the smoke is piped to it.
> Or a hotplate and pan with wood chips or sawdust.
>
> You can see my smoker on my web page. I can do either process in it.
> Actually, cold smoking can be done in a cardboard box.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Ed & Dave-

Had I known that r.f.e. was visted by fellow AFBers I would have used
the term barbecuing. I just figured this list would confuse 'qing with
grilling! ;-)

Rob (who *really* does know the difference between cold smoking, Q'en,
and grilling)
Q' 4 all so long as it's not parboiled ribs.
Dave Bugg

Rob wrote:

> Ed & Dave-
>
> Had I known that r.f.e. was visted by fellow AFBers I would have used
> the term barbecuing. I just figured this list would confuse 'qing with
> grilling! ;-)

No worries, Rob. We know that you know what most folk DON'T know. :-)
Dave