Parchment Paper

Old 02-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Karen Wheless
Usenet poster

Default Parchment Paper

Maybe this is a silly question, but is there a good way to get parchment
paper (off a roll) to lie flat? I have to bake a lot of cookies, and I
like to line my pans with parchment paper. But the parchment paper
continually rolls up at the edges, and means I have to push down the
paper constantly when I'm trying to drop my cookies. It's minor, but
it's annoying.

And is there a brand of parchment paper that comes off the roll more
easily? The only kind readily available here is by Reynolds, and the
roll is a pain to deal with - every time you pull on the edge, the whole
roll pulls out of the package. I'd be willing to search for or order a
different brand if it was easier to work with.

I considered buying pre-cut sheets, but they're the wrong size for my
pans (they're for half sheet pans, which won't fit in my oven). It
seems foolish to buy pre-cut sheets and then have to cut them down to
fit my pans.

Karen
Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
sterge
Usenet poster

It helps a lot if you place the paper on the pan so that it is high in the
middle and the edges curl down. Put the first cookie in the middle...

om...

Old 02-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Bob Myers
Usenet poster

"Karen Wheless" wrote in message
om...
Maybe this is a silly question, but is there a good way to get parchment
paper (off a roll) to lie flat? I have to bake a lot of cookies, and I
like to line my pans with parchment paper. But the parchment paper
continually rolls up at the edges, and means I have to push down the
paper constantly when I'm trying to drop my cookies. It's minor, but
it's annoying.

You can try a few tricks - for instance, get the paper off the roll a
bit BEFORE you start baking, and slide it under the pans and let
it lay there for a while. If you're using it often, you can even store
pre-cut-to-length sheets (that you cut from the roll, to match your
pans) in a convenient place, possibly in a large envelope and maybe
even wherever you keep the pans themselves (i.e., put the paper
between a couple of pans). For a more immediate fix, put the paper
in the pan so that it curls DOWN (i.e., it wants to curl UNDER itself
from the ends, and plop your first couple of cookies down at either
end.

And is there a brand of parchment paper that comes off the roll more
easily? The only kind readily available here is by Reynolds, and the
roll is a pain to deal with - every time you pull on the edge, the whole
roll pulls out of the package. I'd be willing to search for or order a
different brand if it was easier to work with.

I got my last couple of rolls as part of an order to Chef's Catalog -
I don't recall the brand (if in fact it had one other than Chef's), but
it seems to be pretty well-behaved.

Bob M.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Kate Dicey
Usenet poster

Karen Wheless wrote:

[...]

Mist the pans gently with water from a plant spray and put the paper in
curly side down (so it wants to curl up against the pan).
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

[...]

I get packages of full sheet pan size parchment from Gordon Food Service.
http://www.gordonfoodservice.com/ A pack of 50 cost $2.85. I cut them in
half for my half sheet pans. For smaller pans, I just fold the excess
under. They price out to about 3 cents each when you cut them in half.
That's way less expensive than any parchment I find on rolls. It may pay to
get the larger size and cut or fold them to fit your pans.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
zerkanX
Usenet poster

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 02:19:43 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:

I get packages of full sheet pan size parchment from Gordon Food Service.

Thanks, there's one of these in my general neighborhood.

Can you use them more that once before they fall apart?
Old 03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Charles Demas
Usenet poster

In article ,
zerkanX wrote:
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 02:19:43 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:

I get packages of full sheet pan size parchment from Gordon Food Service.

Thanks, there's one of these in my general neighborhood.

Can you use them more that once before they fall apart?

Yes, but it depends on the temperature and what you're
baking.

But the sheets are pretty cheap, baking 10 sheets of cookies
would cost less than a dollar, which is pretty small compared
with the cost of ingredients for that many cookies.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Old 03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Jack Denver
Usenet poster

Please save some trees and get yourself silpat liners.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"zerkanX" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 02:19:43 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:

I get packages of full sheet pan size parchment from Gordon Food

Service.

Thanks, there's one of these in my general neighborhood.

Can you use them more that once before they fall apart?

Yes. You can use them several times. When you go to GFS, the parchment is
in the first isle with the herbs and spices. They aren't in a very obvious
place. They come folded over a half-sheet pan sized cake board like a book.
I leave them unwrapped and cut down the folded spine. This keeps them
tightly contained in the package so they are easy to store. You can simply
pull out a cut sheet.

Old 04-04-2004, 01:41 AM
Karen Wheless
Usenet poster

Please save some trees and get yourself silpat liners.

I've tried them, but I find that sticky cookies don't do well on silpat
liners. I've been stuck many times, scraping at the silpat with a
spatula, while a big glob of overcooked, slightly burned and melted
chocolate, coconut and sugar remained stubbornly stuck to the liners.

I still have mine, but they were one of my most disappointing purchases.
After the sticky burned-on residue got stuck on the liners, they were
never the same again - after that, even the regular cookies and other
food items stuck to the silpat liners (or more accurately, stuck to the
sticky residue bits that wouldn't come off the silpat liners).

I posted about this a while back, and I tried again to clean off the
liners, but the sticky residue just won't come off.

Karen
Old 08-04-2004, 02:14 PM
pltrgyst
Usenet poster

Karen Wheless wrote:

Maybe this is a silly question, but is there a good way to get parchment
paper (off a roll) to lie flat? I have to bake a lot of cookies, and I
like to line my pans with parchment paper. But the parchment paper
continually rolls up at the edges, and means I have to push down the
paper constantly when I'm trying to drop my cookies. It's minor, but
it's annoying.

We place ours concave side down, and put a tiny dab of solid
shortening at the center, between the paper and the pan.
Works like a charm...

-- Larry