Aileen

Default ISO: Pros & Cons Wolf 48" vs Viking 48"

Hi all:
I will try again....
I would love to hear from those with either brand. I am interested in
48" char grill, 6 burner.
I do not know whether I want dual fuel or not.
Presently have a Thermidor 36 all gas with griddle. I would never buy
another griddle....too little use and a pain to clean. Hubbie is
interested in the grill...I know it will also be a major pain to clean.

Any ifo appreciated, Aileen in the Frozen North

Philip Weiss

Default Pros & Cons Wolf 48" vs Viking 48"

Try posting your question at the Gardenweb Appliance Forum. Very active
group, lot's of knowledgeable people. You'll get a bunch of answers within
24 hrs. Guaranteed.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

"Aileen" > wrote in message
> Hi all:
> I will try again....
> I would love to hear from those with either brand. I am interested in
> 48" char grill, 6 burner.
> I do not know whether I want dual fuel or not.
> Presently have a Thermidor 36 all gas with griddle. I would never buy
> another griddle....too little use and a pain to clean. Hubbie is
> interested in the grill...I know it will also be a major pain to clean.
>
> Any ifo appreciated, Aileen in the Frozen North

Joe Doe

In article >, "Philip Weiss"
> wrote:

> Try posting your question at the Gardenweb Appliance Forum. Very active
> group, lot's of knowledgeable people. You'll get a bunch of answers within
> 24 hrs. Guaranteed.
>
> http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

She will get a bunch of answers but I do not know that you can
characterise the Gardensweb folk as "knowledgeable".

They are clearly, well heeled and the bulk of the appliance forums
discussions are focussed at $$$ appliances so this is a question that they
will be eager to pounce on.

A simple illustration that allows me to question their good sense is the
following:

1) Many of their discussions Ooh and Ahh about the difference between
12,000 BTU and 15,000/18,0000 BTU of some high end ranges.

Several of the gardenweb folk boast about how they can wok on their
15,000 BTU burners etc. This is clearly nearly impossible for any normal
amount of food (would work for very small quantities). I have in the
past provided calculations for why this MUST be true. Even in the oft
cited Rosengarten Departures article, he is careful to say that he used 2
cups of bok choy as a test. Two cups of bok choy is a ridiculously small
amount of food. Yet the majority of stoves in his test performed badly
with this tiny amount of food and the BlueStar passed the test by his
criterion. So even the winner actually won a joke of a test. Clearly ALL
the current high end stoves are inadequate for wokking any normal amount
of food yet the folks at Gardensweb are thrilled with their stoves for
this task.

2) They question the worth of Consumer Reports reliability rankings that
are based on about 185,0000!!!! responses yet believe in the anecdotal
reliability of their fellow forum members. The members however complain
about all sorts of reliability issues about different models but this is
amazingly filtered out in terms of what forum members think good brands
are. Consumer reports would say DCS is trouble prone and GE is trouble
free, yet Gardensweb consensus is DCS is great and GE is the brand to
avoid!!! Yet if you search for problems and DCS you will find plenty of
anoyances described on Gardensweb.

I suspect the majority of the members, cook little, view their appliances
as furniture and choose models with the right look (Lacanche ranges......)
and are wowed by specifications (high BTU, low simmer etc).

Roland
Philip Weiss

Well, Roland, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The Appliance
Forum is very active and there are all kinds of responses from knowledgeable
to less than knowledgeable. What's nice about it is that you can alway
disagree with an opinion if you see the need or if you are more
knowledgeable about a certain topic. I have been participating in the forum
for over two years and don't remember seeing your name but I could be wrong.

Perhaps you just have a case of BTU envy.

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Philip Weiss"
> > wrote:
>
> > Try posting your question at the Gardenweb Appliance Forum. Very active
> > group, lot's of knowledgeable people. You'll get a bunch of answers

within
> > 24 hrs. Guaranteed.
> >
> > http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/
> >

> She will get a bunch of answers but I do not know that you can
> characterise the Gardensweb folk as "knowledgeable".
>
> They are clearly, well heeled and the bulk of the appliance forums
> discussions are focussed at $$$ appliances so this is a question that they
> will be eager to pounce on.
>
> A simple illustration that allows me to question their good sense is the
> following:
>
> 1) Many of their discussions Ooh and Ahh about the difference between
> 12,000 BTU and 15,000/18,0000 BTU of some high end ranges.
>
> Several of the gardenweb folk boast about how they can wok on their
> 15,000 BTU burners etc. This is clearly nearly impossible for any normal
> amount of food (would work for very small quantities). I have in the
> past provided calculations for why this MUST be true. Even in the oft
> cited Rosengarten Departures article, he is careful to say that he used 2
> cups of bok choy as a test. Two cups of bok choy is a ridiculously small
> amount of food. Yet the majority of stoves in his test performed badly
> with this tiny amount of food and the BlueStar passed the test by his
> criterion. So even the winner actually won a joke of a test. Clearly ALL
> the current high end stoves are inadequate for wokking any normal amount
> of food yet the folks at Gardensweb are thrilled with their stoves for
> this task.
>
> 2) They question the worth of Consumer Reports reliability rankings that
> are based on about 185,0000!!!! responses yet believe in the anecdotal
> reliability of their fellow forum members. The members however complain
> about all sorts of reliability issues about different models but this is
> amazingly filtered out in terms of what forum members think good brands
> are. Consumer reports would say DCS is trouble prone and GE is trouble
> free, yet Gardensweb consensus is DCS is great and GE is the brand to
> avoid!!! Yet if you search for problems and DCS you will find plenty of
> anoyances described on Gardensweb.
>
> I suspect the majority of the members, cook little, view their appliances
> as furniture and choose models with the right look (Lacanche ranges......)
> and are wowed by specifications (high BTU, low simmer etc).
>
> Roland

Joe Doe

In article >, "Philip Weiss"
> wrote:

> Well, Roland, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The Appliance
> Forum is very active and there are all kinds of responses from knowledgeable
> to less than knowledgeable. What's nice about it is that you can alway
> disagree with an opinion if you see the need or if you are more
> knowledgeable about a certain topic. I have been participating in the forum
> for over two years and don't remember seeing your name but I could be wrong.
>
> Perhaps you just have a case of BTU envy.

I read it occasionally to take the fashion temperature. I never felt
drawn enough to want to register to participate. I mainly stumbled on it
when doing searches for specific concepts (like Induction stoves) and
lurked around.

I agree it is very active and occasionally wide-ranging. I also agree
that it is probably the most likely place on the Internet where the
original poster is likely to have her request answered. It is obviously
worth a visit for anybody considering a kitchen remodel and wants to spend
$$$$. For the most part though it is endlessly repetitive and mainly
focused on the high end (see how many responses a Kenmore thread gets vs.
a WOLF thread). Further, what is repeated does not always correlate with
reality as my specific points alluded to (and this is my only quarrel with
the group).

BTU envy - I own a Cajun cooker for high BTU tasks and so actually
win any ****ing contest hands down.

Roland