Sam

Default electric juicer hazard

hi folks,

my daughter wants to get a small Electric orange juicer (similar to
www.spiralandcircle.com/orange%20juicer%203.jpg)

we already have a manual juicer but she says using it disencourages
her to drink orange juice (!?).

what i dont like abut the idea is that your hands will be wet with
juice while it is being operated off the mains. if something goes
wrong a wet hand is a good conductor.

she tells me she has never heard anyone who got shocked this way
before.i think this reasoning is wrong but i have not managed to
convince her.

anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?

thanks

Sam
Vox Humana

"Sam" > wrote in message
m...
> hi folks,
>
> my daughter wants to get a small Electric orange juicer (similar to
> www.spiralandcircle.com/orange%20juicer%203.jpg)
>
> we already have a manual juicer but she says using it disencourages
> her to drink orange juice (!?).
>
> what i dont like abut the idea is that your hands will be wet with
> juice while it is being operated off the mains. if something goes
> wrong a wet hand is a good conductor.
>
> she tells me she has never heard anyone who got shocked this way
> before.i think this reasoning is wrong but i have not managed to
> convince her.
>
> anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?

Electrical codes in the US require ground fault circuit interrupters in wet
areas like bathrooms, basements, garages, and kitchen. If you don't have
them, then you should get them installed.

Kate Dicey

Sam wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> my daughter wants to get a small Electric orange juicer (similar to
> www.spiralandcircle.com/orange%20juicer%203.jpg)
>
> we already have a manual juicer but she says using it disencourages
> her to drink orange juice (!?).
>
> what i dont like abut the idea is that your hands will be wet with
> juice while it is being operated off the mains. if something goes
> wrong a wet hand is a good conductor.
>
> she tells me she has never heard anyone who got shocked this way
> before.i think this reasoning is wrong but i have not managed to
> convince her.
>
> anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?
>
> thanks
>
> Sam

I have a citrus press for my Magimix - wonderful gadget it is! If your
hands are getting wet while operating it, you're doing it wrong! If you
are at all worried, get one with a lid for holding the fruit down rather
than using your hands.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
John Gaquin

"Sam" > wrote in message

> anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?

Yes, I have a smallish electric juicer of similar arrangement that works in
the same manner, although considerably older. It was my wife's before we
met 25+ years ago. We've used it regularly, but not daily, over the years,
with nary a problem. I can't speak to the longevity of the pictured unit,
as it appears to be all plastic. An earlier poster's comment re GFCI
protection is well worth consideration.

JG

charlie atherton

Have her wear some asbestos coated gloves!

"Sam" > wrote in message
m...
> hi folks,
>
> my daughter wants to get a small Electric orange juicer (similar to
> www.spiralandcircle.com/orange%20juicer%203.jpg)
>
> we already have a manual juicer but she says using it disencourages
> her to drink orange juice (!?).
>
> what i dont like abut the idea is that your hands will be wet with
> juice while it is being operated off the mains. if something goes
> wrong a wet hand is a good conductor.
>
> she tells me she has never heard anyone who got shocked this way
> before.i think this reasoning is wrong but i have not managed to
> convince her.
>
> anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?
>
> thanks
>
> Sam

Jack Denver

Most modern appliances, beside being of grounded design, have plastic,
non-conductive housings. The odds that you'll be electrocuted by an orange
juice squeezer are vanishingly small - it's probably 100,000 times more
likely that you'll be injured in an automobile accident. So worry about
those things that really threaten you and not the remote risks.

Here is a table of relative risks:

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

As you can see, transportation accidents account for about 1/2 of all
accidental deaths - so make sure you mail order that squeezer and don't
drive to the store for it. Saving that one trip will probably cut your risk
more than the entire lifetime risk of the juicer. For non-transport
accidents, falls are the biggest category, so you again have a bigger risk
of slipping on the orange peel that of getting fried by the juicer.
Electrocution from all causes (most of those are probably power co.
employees workin on high voltage lines) is way, way down the list.

When peoples perceptions of risks are studied, one of the things that comes
out it is that people are really bad at assessing true odds and that their
fears skew in favor of the invisible or the uncontrollable. They're not
worried that they'll drive themselves into a telephone pole while talking on
the cell phone, even though there's a fair likelihood that they'll do just
that. But they worry that the telephone pole or the cell phone is emitting
invisible radiation that will give them cancer.

"Sam" > wrote in message
m...
> hi folks,
>
> my daughter wants to get a small Electric orange juicer (similar to
> www.spiralandcircle.com/orange%20juicer%203.jpg)
>
> we already have a manual juicer but she says using it disencourages
> her to drink orange juice (!?).
>
> what i dont like abut the idea is that your hands will be wet with
> juice while it is being operated off the mains. if something goes
> wrong a wet hand is a good conductor.
>
> she tells me she has never heard anyone who got shocked this way
> before.i think this reasoning is wrong but i have not managed to
> convince her.
>
> anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?
>
> thanks
>
> Sam

Waldo Centini

Sam surprised us with

> anyone have any experiences about this type of juicer?

Have been using them for years now, never a problem. You won't be squeezing
oranges with wet hands usually, because then the oranges slip, and you can't
get a good grip on 'm.

--
Waldo

*** Is This A Dead Parrot I See Before Me ***
To respond through email remove removespam
Sam

"Jack Denver" > wrote in message
<snip> They're not
> worried that they'll drive themselves into a telephone pole while talking on
> the cell phone, even though there's a fair likelihood that they'll do just
> that. But they worry that the telephone pole or the cell phone is emitting
> invisible radiation that will give them cancer.

gosh.....that sounds a lot like me.thanks for that statistics link.
spent a few minutes reflecting on it.

Sam