best high-end refrigerator?

Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 AM
angelarenae
Usenet poster

Default best high-end refrigerator?

I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
Viking.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the various high-end
non-commercial units? I am most curious about this - needless to say,
I'm hesitant about spending $6k (or more) on a refrigerator that I may
not be totally happy with...!

Thanks,
~a
Old 01-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Kent H.
Usenet poster

After years of planning on a Subzero for our upcoming remodel, we are
strongly leaning toward the pull out Kitchen Aid that is 24" deep.
Subzeros are $6000 and are about to rise in price. The Kitchen Aid is
$2400 and you can pull it out and fix it without tearing your kitchen
apart. A life long friend had to repair a SubZero after two years of
usage. I would also appreciate anyone's experience with either brand
and/or model.
Happy 1st,
Kent

Old 01-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Charles Demas
Usenet poster

In article ,
Floyd Farcus wrote:
(angelarenae) wrote:

I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
Viking.

Check the repair rate of SubZero. They are running about 27% repair
rate, highest in the industry. For the price they are asking, I
would demand perfection.

One of the problems may indeed be that their customers *ARE* demanding
perfection, or very close to it.

As you said, at that price it should be perfect, and with a repair
policy geared toward that, one would expect a higher repair rate.

IIRC, their repair cost to customer is zero.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Old 01-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Gini
Usenet poster

"Charles Demas" wrote in message
Floyd Farcus wrote:
(angelarenae) wrote:

I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
Viking.

Check the repair rate of SubZero. They are running about 27% repair
rate, highest in the industry. For the price they are asking, I
would demand perfection.

One of the problems may indeed be that their customers *ARE* demanding
perfection, or very close to it.

==
It is a problem that customers expect their multi-$k fridge to
run flawlessly? Heck, I expect my $1500. fridge to run flawlessly.
(And it has, by the way, so far.)
==

As you said, at that price it should be perfect, and with a repair
policy geared toward that, one would expect a higher repair rate.

IIRC, their repair cost to customer is zero.

==
Kinda like a Hyundai?
==

Chuck Demas

Old 01-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Kenneth
Usenet poster

On 31 Dec 2003 21:03:40 -0800, (angelarenae)
wrote:

I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
Viking.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the various high-end
non-commercial units? I am most curious about this - needless to say,
I'm hesitant about spending $6k (or more) on a refrigerator that I may
not be totally happy with...!

Thanks,
~a

Howdy,

I know nothing about the Sub-Zero from first hand experience...

When we built our new home (about two years ago) I assumed that we
would go the SZ direction. Eventually, we got a Whirlpool from Sears.
Stainless front, "built-in" look, flawless performance, and a small
fraction of the SZ price. We are very happy with our decision.

I will add that we were not averse to spending significant bucks for
appliances that really offered us something that we valued. For
example, we put in a Bongard deck oven in support of my bread baking
interests (oh, ok, obsession). But in the case of a fridge, we just
could not see the advantage of the super expensive versions that are
out there. This is not to suggest that the differences don't exist. It
is merely to say that we could not find 'em.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 01-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Gini
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

I agree. We were in a similar situation when replacing our appliances. I did
not object to paying top dollar for good equipment. It just turned out,
after
researching, researching and more researching that the best appliances were
*not*
the ones considered high end. They were simply too fickle and trouble prone.
There
was simply no way to justify the cost and my family is too large to go weeks
waiting
on repairs/parts. I bought a $1500. Jenn-Air fridge with fantastic features
not found in pricier
units and it has worked flawlessly (so far). I went with a Kenmore Elite
high powered SS smoothtop with convection
oven, warming drawer and variable heat warmer/simmer 5th burner (cost
1200.), and a Bosch dishwasher (which had features the lower end units did
not have). Cost (900. on sale) justified. I need appliances that work hard
and perform well--day in and day out, without fail. It's been 16-24 months
since all have been replaced. I still have no regrets.
==

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 01-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Charles Demas
Usenet poster

In article ,
Kenneth wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:52:56 +0000 (UTC), (Charles
Demas) wrote:

In article ,
Floyd Farcus wrote:
(angelarenae) wrote:

I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
Viking.

Check the repair rate of SubZero. They are running about 27% repair
rate, highest in the industry. For the price they are asking, I
would demand perfection.

One of the problems may indeed be that their customers *ARE* demanding
perfection, or very close to it.

As you said, at that price it should be perfect, and with a repair
policy geared toward that, one would expect a higher repair rate.

IIRC, their repair cost to customer is zero.

Chuck Demas

Hi Chuck,

Am I to understand (with the reasoning above) that you are suggesting
that the very high repair rate is a GOOD thing?

I'd say that on an equally priced and equally waranteed item, that the
higher repair rate indicates lower quality.

But that is NOT the case here with a Sub Zero.

The Sub Zero is NOT equally priced NOR is it equally waranteed.

If so, I will have to re-evaluate my purchases in the future...g

I'm suggesting that if it costs nothing to have the product serviced,
and that when one pays an extremely high cost for something, that the
repair rate being higher than for less costly items is to be expected.

If you purchased a Rolls Royce you have higher expectations than
when you buy a Ford or Chevy. You'd overlook a small scratch on
the Ford or Chevy, but not on the Rolls.

Chuck Demas

Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 AM
Charles Demas
Usenet poster

In article ,
Kenneth wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:53:04 +0000 (UTC), (Charles
Demas) wrote:

I'm suggesting that if it costs nothing to have the product serviced,
and that when one pays an extremely high cost for something, that the
repair rate being higher than for less costly items is to be expected.

Well, I do not agree with you, but there is another issue in any case:

A repair rarely "costs nothing."

Even if a highly competent repair person shows up right on schedule,
and charges me not a penny, the time costs to me are very significant.
I cannot be certain, but I would tend to believe that is true for many
people.

It is indeed true that the cost of getting something repaired is
more than what one pays for the repair.

For those owning a Sub Zero, there is a distinct likelyhood that
someone will be available to meet the repair person. Now that
someone might be live in help, security personel, or a non-working
spouse. Anyone paying $6000 for a refrigerator is likely to live
a more priviledged lifestyle. I paid that for my last car. :-)

My point of the repair costs nothing was twofold:

1. Service covered by warantee encourages service, but any fee
involved will lessen the repair rate.

2. Part of the Sub Zero price is their warantee.

Chuck Demas

Old 02-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Charles Demas
Usenet poster

In article ,
Floyd Farcus wrote:
(Charles Demas) wrote:

1. Service covered by warantee encourages service, but any fee
involved will lessen the repair rate.

2. Part of the Sub Zero price is their warantee.

Charles....

Part of the price of ANY manufactured refrigeration system is the warrantee.
That includes Maytag, Whirlpool and Kenmore! SubZero is just highly priced.
High price does not necessarily mean reliability. Kind of like owning a
Jaguar....if you can one one you better be able to buy two. since one probably
will be in the garage.

In the old days of Jaguar (before Ford), there were a few statements
made by Jag owners:

1. I'm hoping that someday I'll be able to do just preventative
maintenance.

2. Every part that falls of your Jaguar will be one of the finest
machined parts that money can buy.

Chuck Demas

Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Colin
Usenet poster

My only comment is that I would avoid Viking. They had to get two
temporary waivers from the EPA to continue making fridges, because they
could not get their unit to pass the new energy requirements.

Most companies did not need a waiver, and no one else got more than one.

Colin

angelarenae wrote:
I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
Viking.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the various high-end
non-commercial units? I am most curious about this - needless to say,
I'm hesitant about spending $6k (or more) on a refrigerator that I may
not be totally happy with...!

Thanks,
~a

Cleaning Refrigerator kalanamak General Cooking 54 17-04-2004 02:26 AM
High production pretzel equipment Katra Baking 3 13-01-2004 09:55 PM
High production pretzel equipment Greg Zywicki General Cooking 0 13-01-2004 03:58 PM
newbie, altitude cooking alia Baking 6 28-12-2003 04:52 PM
Bottom Freezer Refrigerator Noise Paul Cooking Equipment 3 10-11-2003 03:28 AM