meatgrinder

Default meat grinders

I have a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The cheap kind that you clamp to
a counter top and turn the crank to get your ground meat. I tried using
it for the first time and did not assemble it correctly. Now the meat is
very so ground up it looks like mush. I want to make meatballs out of
this. Do you think it will be OK for meat balls? I used a round steak.

Also, is a top round roast a good meat to make ground beef? It is on
sale now and am considering getting one if OK to grind. Otherwise, I
would not know what to do with a top round roast.
What are other meats good for making ground beef?

Thank you,
Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

Wayne Boatwright

meatgrinder > wrote in

> I have a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The cheap kind that you clamp
> to a counter top and turn the crank to get your ground meat. I tried
> using it for the first time and did not assemble it correctly. Now the
> meat is very so ground up it looks like mush. I want to make meatballs
> out of this. Do you think it will be OK for meat balls? I used a
> round steak.
>
> Also, is a top round roast a good meat to make ground beef? It is on
> sale now and am considering getting one if OK to grind. Otherwise, I
> would not know what to do with a top round roast.
> What are other meats good for making ground beef?
>
> Thank you,
> Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

Your "mushy" ground meat will probably result in rather compact
meatballs, but you might test one first, then adjust your other
ingredients accordingly. I would probably add some breadcrumbs made
from fresh bread to lighten it a bit.

Top round would make excellent "ground round", as would a sirloin roast
make excellent "chopped sirloin". If you're used to seeing various
degrees of fat in the ground meats at your supermarket, you might want
to bear that in mind and include some fat in the grind to achieve the
percentage you prefer; e.g., 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% fat. Ground meat with
absolutely no fat is often rather dry and not as tasty, regardless the
quality of the meat.

Wayne
meatgrinder

meatgrinder wrote:

> I have a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The cheap kind that you clamp to
> a counter top and turn the crank to get your ground meat. I tried using
> it for the first time and did not assemble it correctly. Now the meat is
> very so ground up it looks like mush. I want to make meatballs out of
> this. Do you think it will be OK for meat balls? I used a round steak.
>
> Also, is a top round roast a good meat to make ground beef? It is on
> sale now and am considering getting one if OK to grind. Otherwise, I
> would not know what to do with a top round roast.
> What are other meats good for making ground beef?
>
> Thank you,
> Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

Sorry for the error. It is not a top round roast on sale it is a
sirloin tip roast that is on sale. Is this a good meat to make ground beef.

Thank you.
Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

Jane

Has anyone had experience with the meat grinder attachment for the
Kitchenaid? Since I already have the Kitchenaid mixer, I am wondering
if the attachment is the best way to go for ground meat. Jane

$8y1.457051@attbi_s52>...
> meatgrinder wrote:
>
> > I have a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The cheap kind that you clamp to
> > a counter top and turn the crank to get your ground meat. I tried using
> > it for the first time and did not assemble it correctly. Now the meat is
> > very so ground up it looks like mush. I want to make meatballs out of
> > this. Do you think it will be OK for meat balls? I used a round steak.
> >
> > Also, is a top round roast a good meat to make ground beef? It is on
> > sale now and am considering getting one if OK to grind. Otherwise, I
> > would not know what to do with a top round roast.
> > What are other meats good for making ground beef?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !
> >

> Sorry for the error. It is not a top round roast on sale it is a
> sirloin tip roast that is on sale. Is this a good meat to make ground beef.
>
> Thank you.
> Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

Debbie Deutsch

"Jane" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone had experience with the meat grinder attachment for the
> Kitchenaid? Since I already have the Kitchenaid mixer, I am wondering
> if the attachment is the best way to go for ground meat. Jane

I have the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment. It gives good results, and
is far preferable to using a food processor (more even results and no chance
of ending up with mush). It is easy to assemble and clean. One of my
favorite things to do with it is to buy a piece of chuck, trim it well, and
make hamburger. The results are far more flavorful than hamburger mande
from other cuts, and have less fat than store-bought ground chuck.

Debbie

S Viemeister

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> I have the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment. It gives good results, and
> is far preferable to using a food processor (more even results and no chance
> of ending up with mush). It is easy to assemble and clean. One of my
> favorite things to do with it is to buy a piece of chuck, trim it well, and
> make hamburger. The results are far more flavorful than hamburger mande
> from other cuts, and have less fat than store-bought ground chuck.

Yes - I'm quite pleased with my Kitchenaid grinder attachment. It's easy
to use, easy to clean, and gives good results.

Katra

In article >,
"Debbie Deutsch" > wrote:

> "Jane" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Has anyone had experience with the meat grinder attachment for the
> > Kitchenaid? Since I already have the Kitchenaid mixer, I am wondering
> > if the attachment is the best way to go for ground meat. Jane
> >

> I have the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment. It gives good results, and
> is far preferable to using a food processor (more even results and no chance
> of ending up with mush). It is easy to assemble and clean. One of my
> favorite things to do with it is to buy a piece of chuck, trim it well, and
> make hamburger. The results are far more flavorful than hamburger mande
> from other cuts, and have less fat than store-bought ground chuck.
>
> Debbie

Agreed. :-)
And, DO try the sausage cone that will attach to the meat grinder for
making sausage! You can buy cleaned, salted casings at most stores...
Just rinse and wet them good and slide them onto the cone, tie a knot in
the end and twist the casing according to the size sausage that you
want. QED.

Wunnderful and you can make them lower in salt than most commercial
sausages.

Speaking of which, anyone got any good sausage spice recipes to share???

K.

--
^ ^ Cat's Haven Hobby Farm ^ ^ ^ ^
>,,< >,,< >,,<

Peter Aitken

"Jane" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone had experience with the meat grinder attachment for the
> Kitchenaid? Since I already have the Kitchenaid mixer, I am wondering
> if the attachment is the best way to go for ground meat. Jane

It's OK. It has a narrow feed tube which limits the speed of grinding, and
only two grinding plates so you are limited to coarse and medium grinds. For
occasional use with small batches it is fine.

--
Peter Aitken

Chuck Bollinger

meatgrinder wrote:
> I have a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The cheap kind that you clamp to
> a counter top and turn the crank to get your ground meat. I tried using
> it for the first time and did not assemble it correctly. Now the meat is
> very so ground up it looks like mush. I want to make meatballs out of
> this. Do you think it will be OK for meat balls? I used a round steak.
>
> Also, is a top round roast a good meat to make ground beef? It is on
> sale now and am considering getting one if OK to grind. Otherwise, I
> would not know what to do with a top round roast.
> What are other meats good for making ground beef?
>
> Thank you,
> Meat Grinder today. Italian cook tomorrow !

I posted here a couple of years ago looking for additional plates for our
Kitchenaid. A reply was posted by Hartmut Kunze, a certified master chef, who
said that the plate size of the Kitchenaid was a #5 or #8, and that made it a
toy (he doesn't mince words). I replied that it was what I could afford, and he
countered with a web page to Allied Kenko, where I purchased, for $36, the
manual Porkert grinder (have you ever seen a better name for a grinder?) that
I've been using since. I make sausages and the difference in the resulting
product is obvious, as is the process: When grinding, I can hear the pings of
the knife going past each hole.

Hartmut said that if I didn't have large plates and sharp knifes, I'd produce
mush sooner or later. Looks like you had that problem. I had, too, but hadn't
recognized it. I've been using my Kitchenaid as an example of a small grinder.
But if your plate is more than 2.5 inches in diameter, it might be a #10 or
#12, just dull. I'd keep that grinder and just get a new knife and plate(s).
Here's a plate site: http://www.cmcchef.com/GrinderSpecs.htm to tell you about
plates, and below is where to get them. Hartmut's site is brimming with great
info and instructions, as well.

http://www.cmcchef.com/

http://www.alliedkenco.com/grinder.htm

I hope this has been of some help.

kalanamak

Chuck Bollinger wrote:

> http://www.alliedkenco.com/grinder.htm

Hi Chuck, glad to see you are still about. I used the pan you gave me to
make a pilaf just the other day.
the above site: I loved the "what causes mushy meat" section, with
this photos tucked into the text. Helpful and oddly funny at the same
time.
blacksalt
the poster formerly known as "tj"

MEAT GRINDERS No Name General Cooking 24 21-09-2010 02:00 PM
meat grinders Nan[_3_] General Cooking 16 14-11-2009 08:46 PM
Where to buy meat grinders? Steve Barbecue 9 12-03-2006 06:38 PM
Meat Grinders Banjo Barbecue 38 07-08-2004 04:12 PM
meat grinders meatgrinder General Cooking 14 03-01-2004 04:36 PM