billydee

Default Tender steaks?

How is the best way to make steaks tender by using a simple marinade? Most
marinades are used mainly for flavor but I want one that will actually make
the steak tender. We buy imported beef strip loins at a low price from NZ
and Australia. They look great but some are quite tough while others are
tender. I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to be
tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than American or
Canadian beef for the restaurant.
This question is probably off topic in this group but I find some very good
answers here due to the diverse expertise.

Thanks,

Billy Dee

Charles Demas

In article <DrGFb.782979$6C4.630118@pd7tw1no>,
billydee > wrote:
>How is the best way to make steaks tender by using a simple marinade? Most
>marinades are used mainly for flavor but I want one that will actually make
>the steak tender. We buy imported beef strip loins at a low price from NZ
>and Australia. They look great but some are quite tough while others are
>tender. I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to be
>tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than American or
>Canadian beef for the restaurant.
>This question is probably off topic in this group but I find some very good
>answers here due to the diverse expertise.

You might want to try using a mechanical tenderizer before resorting
to chemical tenderizers.

Try a web search on "Jaccard meat tenderizer"

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Kent H.

Adolph's non flavored tenderizer. That's it.

billydee wrote:

> How is the best way to make steaks tender by using a simple marinade? Most
> marinades are used mainly for flavor but I want one that will actually make
> the steak tender. We buy imported beef strip loins at a low price from NZ
> and Australia. They look great but some are quite tough while others are
> tender. I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to be
> tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than American or
> Canadian beef for the restaurant.
> This question is probably off topic in this group but I find some very good
> answers here due to the diverse expertise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Billy Dee

Edwin Pawlowski

> billydee wrote:
> >
> > I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to be
> > tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than

American or
> > Canadian beef for the restaurant.

I'd feel better knowing there were no chemicals added to my meat. Consider
a mechanical tenderizer like a Jaccard.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Blanche Nonken

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> > billydee wrote:
> > >
> > > I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to be
> > > tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than

> American or
> > > Canadian beef for the restaurant.

> I'd feel better knowing there were no chemicals added to my meat. Consider
> a mechanical tenderizer like a Jaccard.

Isn't Adolph's simply papain or some similar fruit-sourced enzyme?

Christine

"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message

> > American or

> > I'd feel better knowing there were no chemicals added to my meat.

Consider
> > a mechanical tenderizer like a Jaccard.

> Isn't Adolph's simply papain or some similar fruit-sourced enzyme?

Just bought a new jar of Adolph's. Label says no MSG, no additives, no
preservatives, no artificial chemicals.

Ingredients: Salt, sugar, food starch (prevents caking) papain (from papaya
fruit)

Chris in Pearland, TX

Kent H.

Just papain; it works, if used properly.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > billydee wrote:
> > >
> > > I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to be
> > > tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than

> American or
> > > Canadian beef for the restaurant.

> I'd feel better knowing there were no chemicals added to my meat. Consider
> a mechanical tenderizer like a Jaccard.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> Just papain; it works, if used properly.

Just? Some people react to the simplest of things. It also, IMO, leave an
undesirable taste on the meat. Yes, it is pretty much benign, but I don't
want to eat it just because you think I should.

Define used properly. In India it is used to induce abortion.
http://www.geocities.com/nutriflip/S...ts/Papain.html
Papain has been employed to treat ulcers, dissolve membranes in diphtheria,
and reduce swelling, fever and adhesions after surgery. With considerable
risk, it has been applied on meat impacted in the gullet. Chemopapain is
sometimes injected in cases of slipped spinal discs or pinched nerves.
Precautions should be taken because some individuals are allergic to papain
in any form and even to meat tenderized with papain.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Eichelberg" > wrote in message
> Salt is a chemical, butter, pepper, garlic, any host of ingredients
> and seasonings also contain "chemicals."
>
> No one suggested that you use it, but simply question your terminology
> (accurate in fact, but not in the manner you appear to have intended.)

But when I order a steak in a restaurant, I can tell from the menu if it is
seasoned. I can ask what seasonings are used. When someone slips in a
pre-treatment that I may react to, that is un-called for. I can ask that no
seasonings be added if I want it that way.
Ed

Truth is, I don't eat steak in restaurant because I can make them sooooo
good at home. I order things not easily prepared at home or that I'm
interesting in trying because they are different than the norm. ]

charlie atherton

To turn this back into a food equipment topic...Try putting your steak in a
shallow baking dish and then put whatever marinade you want on your steak.
Then slip a Tilia FoodSaver bag over the dish and suck all the air out and
seal. It will open the pores of the meat up, take in the marinade and
tenderize the steak. The steak will flatten out, but puffs back up after you
release the suction. You have to make sure the dish is tall enough so the
liquid dosen't get sucked into the machine.....Charlie

"billydee" > wrote in message
newsrGFb.782979$6C4.630118@pd7tw1no...
> How is the best way to make steaks tender by using a simple marinade? Most
> marinades are used mainly for flavor but I want one that will actually

make
> the steak tender. We buy imported beef strip loins at a low price from NZ
> and Australia. They look great but some are quite tough while others are
> tender. I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to

be
> tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than American

or
> Canadian beef for the restaurant.
> This question is probably off topic in this group but I find some very

good
> answers here due to the diverse expertise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Billy Dee

Michael Harp

Why use a baking dish? Just put it in the bag...

--
Michael Harp
Pinehurst, NC

On 1/17/04 7:26 PM, in article ,
"charlie atherton" > wrote:

> To turn this back into a food equipment topic...Try putting your steak in a
> shallow baking dish and then put whatever marinade you want on your steak.
> Then slip a Tilia FoodSaver bag over the dish and suck all the air out and
> seal. It will open the pores of the meat up, take in the marinade and
> tenderize the steak. The steak will flatten out, but puffs back up after you
> release the suction. You have to make sure the dish is tall enough so the
> liquid dosen't get sucked into the machine.....Charlie
>
> "billydee" > wrote in message
> newsrGFb.782979$6C4.630118@pd7tw1no...
>> How is the best way to make steaks tender by using a simple marinade? Most
>> marinades are used mainly for flavor but I want one that will actually

> make
>> the steak tender. We buy imported beef strip loins at a low price from NZ
>> and Australia. They look great but some are quite tough while others are
>> tender. I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going to

> be
>> tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than American

> or
>> Canadian beef for the restaurant.
>> This question is probably off topic in this group but I find some very

> good
>> answers here due to the diverse expertise.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Billy Dee

Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Harp" > wrote in message
> Why use a baking dish? Just put it in the bag...

Because you can't draw a vacuum on the bag without sucking out the liquid.
Vacuum is the key to deep penetration of the liquid.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

charlie atherton

Because if you don't put it in the dish the macine will suck all the juice
in to the vacum pump and clog up the machine.

,
> "charlie atherton" > wrote:
>
> > To turn this back into a food equipment topic...Try putting your steak

in a
> > shallow baking dish and then put whatever marinade you want on your

steak.
> > Then slip a Tilia FoodSaver bag over the dish and suck all the air out

and
> > seal. It will open the pores of the meat up, take in the marinade and
> > tenderize the steak. The steak will flatten out, but puffs back up after

you
> > release the suction. You have to make sure the dish is tall enough so

the
> > liquid dosen't get sucked into the machine.....Charlie
> >
> > "billydee" > wrote in message
> > newsrGFb.782979$6C4.630118@pd7tw1no...
> >> How is the best way to make steaks tender by using a simple marinade?

Most
> >> marinades are used mainly for flavor but I want one that will actually

> > make
> >> the steak tender. We buy imported beef strip loins at a low price from

NZ
> >> and Australia. They look great but some are quite tough while others

are
> >> tender. I would feel better knowing that EVERY steak we sell is going

> > be
> >> tender. Our low price forces us to buy imported beef rather than

American
> > or
> >> Canadian beef for the restaurant.
> >> This question is probably off topic in this group but I find some very

> > good
> >> answers here due to the diverse expertise.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Billy Dee

Does tender meat make tender jerky? Travis McGee General Cooking 11 03-06-2016 07:17 AM
Skirt steaks and flank steaks [email protected] General Cooking 103 29-05-2009 06:35 PM
How do ya keep that Q tender? Shane Paul Barbecue 7 28-11-2006 01:19 AM
Tender Brisket? Raover Barbecue 80 16-11-2005 11:08 PM
Tender pot roast CookinGal General Cooking 26 27-05-2005 02:07 PM