Non-Stick that can be cleaned in dishwasher?

Old 17-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Eric McNew
Usenet poster

Default Non-Stick that can be cleaned in dishwasher?

I'm investigating new cookware and would like to find a quality
nonstick surface that is dishwasher safe. I love caph. but would
probably never use it if I had to handwash.

Thanks
Old 17-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Eric McNew" wrote in message
I'm investigating new cookware and would like to find a quality
nonstick surface that is dishwasher safe. I love caph. but would
probably never use it if I had to handwash.

Thanks

Dupont says that their non-stick coatings are dishwasher safe. I put my
Kirkland non-stick in the dishwasher. If by "caph" you mean Calphalon, then
I don't see that as non-stick, just anodized aluminum. Unfortunately,
anodized can not be cleaned in the dishwasher. I find that regular
stainless steel is nearly non-stick. The fond that develops on the surface
can be easily removed by deglazing with water. Just heat the pan and pour
in some water. I use a wad of paper towels on a pair of tongs to wipe the
hot pan. Then, it goes into the dishwasher.

Old 18-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Fred
Usenet poster

"Eric McNew" wrote in message
I'm investigating new cookware and would like to find a quality
nonstick surface that is dishwasher safe. I love caph. but would
probably never use it if I had to handwash.

Thanks

My sincere advice is to never put cookware in the dishwasher - any cookware,
ever. Dishwashers are for dishes (and stainless flatware) and not for
cookware, cutlery, or gadgets or even glassware, in my opinion. I handwash
all my cookware and always have since I bought cookware I expected to last
more than a couple of years.

I think manufacturers who tout their cookware as dishwasher safe are doing a
disservice to the consumer. I feel the same way about the old
never-need-sharpening knives. Take care.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Old 18-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Fred" wrote in message

"Eric McNew" wrote in message
I'm investigating new cookware and would like to find a quality
nonstick surface that is dishwasher safe. I love caph. but would
probably never use it if I had to handwash.

Thanks

My sincere advice is to never put cookware in the dishwasher - any

cookware,
ever. Dishwashers are for dishes (and stainless flatware) and not for
cookware, cutlery, or gadgets or even glassware, in my opinion. I

handwash
all my cookware and always have since I bought cookware I expected to last
more than a couple of years.

I think manufacturers who tout their cookware as dishwasher safe are doing

disservice to the consumer. I feel the same way about the old
never-need-sharpening knives. Take care.

Why would stainless flatware be fine for the dishwasher and not stainless
cookware?

Old 18-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

Somewhat an aside answer to your question, but:

My dishwasher is sooo loaded with dishes; dishes are stacked up on the sink
ready to put into the next dishwasher load, I would never "catch up" if I
added cooking pans - I'd have just a load of cooking pans. It's always
amazing that people actually have room to put a cooking pan in also. Also I
couldn't get a stock-pot in, a spaghetti pot in, and I would't adjust my top
shelf each time I juggled these in just so I wouldn't have to wash a pan
which I could wash in less time than it took to adjust my shelf.

I agree that washing dishes by hand takes time, but I'd rather put in 10
glasses than one pan. Does everyone have a bigger dishwasher than I do?
Does not everyone have a dishwasher that takes over an hour to wash?

Dee

Old 18-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
Somewhat an aside answer to your question, but:

My dishwasher is sooo loaded with dishes; dishes are stacked up on the

sink
ready to put into the next dishwasher load, I would never "catch up" if I
added cooking pans - I'd have just a load of cooking pans. It's always
amazing that people actually have room to put a cooking pan in also. Also

couldn't get a stock-pot in, a spaghetti pot in, and I would't adjust my

top
shelf each time I juggled these in just so I wouldn't have to wash a pan
which I could wash in less time than it took to adjust my shelf.

I agree that washing dishes by hand takes time, but I'd rather put in 10
glasses than one pan. Does everyone have a bigger dishwasher than I do?
Does not everyone have a dishwasher that takes over an hour to wash?

I would guess that 99.9% of all dishwashers sold are 24 inches. I think
that there is only one manufacturer that makes a 24 inch dishwasher and I've
never seen it on display in a store, only in catalogs/online. so, most
everyone has the same size dishwasher. (Ok, there are the newer dish
drawers, but even they are still unusual). Since there are only two of use,
my dishwasher doesn't get overburdened with dishes. I put the worst things
in the dishwasher and if there isn't room for everything I will wash a pasta
pot or non-stick skillet by hand. My rule is that if it won't survive the
dishwasher, I don't use it. The only exceptions are holiday dinners when I
use the fine china, crystal, and flatware.

Old 18-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Kate Dicey
Usenet poster

Vox Humana wrote:

[...]

I'm quite happy to do a whole load of china and mugs (not glasses - all
ours are lead crystal and not dishwasher proof), followed by a whole
load of pans. I'd rather spend the hour with the company than with my
hands in the sink! Also, it allows me to wash them super clean in my
sleep. So what if it takes an hour: there's more than an hour between
eating one meal and cooking the next, especially at night! It also
gives me an hour to do something else... sewing, reading, going for a
walk, or (oh, horror!) hoovering and bed changing!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old 18-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Graham
Usenet poster

"Fred" wrote in message

"Eric McNew" wrote in message
I'm investigating new cookware and would like to find a quality
nonstick surface that is dishwasher safe. I love caph. but would
probably never use it if I had to handwash.

Thanks

I've noticed that after 2-3 years, my pyrex-type measuring jugs become
completely frosted from washing in the dishwasher and the measuring lines
etc. disappear. This must be the fault of the detergent.

Graham

Old 18-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:

[...]

I'm with you on this. I can do serial loads of dishes in the machine.
Unfortunately, my mother always wants to jump up from the table and "help"
do the dishes. By the time a large dinner is over, I just want to have a
cup of coffee and rest. I have given in the last few times and cleaned up
the kitchen because if I let her do it I have to help because she doesn't
know where anything goes and keeps after me. I guess there is no rest for
the wicked.

Old 18-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Graham" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message

"Eric McNew" wrote in message
I'm investigating new cookware and would like to find a quality
nonstick surface that is dishwasher safe. I love caph. but would
probably never use it if I had to handwash.

Thanks

I've noticed that after 2-3 years, my pyrex-type measuring jugs become
completely frosted from washing in the dishwasher and the measuring lines
etc. disappear. This must be the fault of the detergent.

It sounds like you are using too much detergent.

Old 18-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

By the time a large dinner is over, I just want to have a
cup of coffee and rest. I have given in the last few times and cleaned up
the kitchen because if I let her do it I have to help because she doesn't
know where anything goes and keeps after me. I guess there is no rest for
the wicked.

I'm not sure which person is referred to here as "... the wicked." grin
Take my choice? Both? Either/or?

dee

Old 18-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

I had a lot of scratch glasses before I went to using a liquid dishwasher
detergent. They were "REALLY" scratched.
Dee

Old 18-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
By the time a large dinner is over, I just want to have a
cup of coffee and rest. I have given in the last few times and cleaned

up
the kitchen because if I let her do it I have to help because she doesn't
know where anything goes and keeps after me. I guess there is no rest for
the wicked.

I'm not sure which person is referred to here as "... the wicked."

grin
Take my choice? Both? Either/or?

dee

I was referring to myself as the "wicked" one. However, this has become a
point of contention with both myself and my sister. We would prefer not to
be rushed into a big clean-up job immediately after dinner and our elderly
mother insists on diving into the job. We have both explained to her that
when we are entertaining, we don't want to spend our post-dinner hour in the
kitchen when everyone else is having coffee in the living room. Our
attempts have fallen on deaf ears. I do try to do as much as possible
before hand to limit the number of dirty dishes to deal with in the
aftermath of dinner. I always run the dishwasher during dinner so it will
be ready for a new load right away.

Old 18-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Sheellah
Usenet poster

This must be enough of a problem, that one dishwashing detergent maker has just
come out with a product that it says will not etch glassware. Companies don't
develop products unless there is a wide market base to buy them. They can of
course, also bank on people's wish to avoid a problem they don't yet have!

Old 18-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

Alas, we let our dishes set too, after a meal. But somehow they get done
between meals or while preparing the next one. Much to my dismay, when I'm
preparing a meal, I have to make the choice between unloading the dishwasher
and/or finding a clean space -- I just don't know where to begin!

Perhaps I'll start by washing more "not completely full" dish-washing loads.
{I can hear it now grin}

Dee

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

Dishwasher question Franfogel General Cooking 30 04-07-2004 09:03 PM
Dishwasher Safe? [email protected] General Cooking 15 06-02-2004 09:13 PM
Stick of Buttah! Sandy General Cooking 8 17-11-2003 10:55 PM
Blender... Counter-Top or a Good Stick...? Dimitri General Cooking 17 01-11-2003 02:24 PM
Making spices stick Joel Crum General Cooking 11 27-10-2003 09:48 PM