MIKE

Default best juicer

Mom wants a juice extractor for Christmas after seeing the power
juicer by Jack Lalanne on TV. I am leery of infomercial products
and wondered if anyone was using this product.
Can anyone recommend a better juicer for under $200?
Thanks
John Gaquin

Mike.....
I speak second hand because I've never owned one. Just about everyone I
know that has tried a juicer over the years has stopped using it fairly
shortly. Their explanation is that the juice is great but the machine is a
royal pita to clean -- something the the ads, of course, never mention.
YMMV.

JG

"MIKE" > wrote in message

> Mom wants a juice extractor for Christmas after seeing the power
> juicer by Jack Lalanne on TV. I am leery of infomercial products
> and wondered if anyone was using this product.
> Can anyone recommend a better juicer for under $200?
> Thanks

Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>> Mom wants a juice extractor for Christmas after seeing the power
>> juicer by Jack Lalanne on TV. I am leery of infomercial products
>> and wondered if anyone was using this product.
>> Can anyone recommend a better juicer for under $200?

Take a look at
http://www.omegajuicers.com/index2.html

(I bought mine at a local health food store.)

I have had the Omega 1000 for ten years or so and it still runs like a
tank. It might be the most solid appliance I own. It will make a glass
of carrot juice in seconds and is FAR better than any of the "TV"
juicers. The juicing blade weighs 1.5 POUNDS!

If she is serious obout juicing, this may be the one to get her for
Christmas. The price shows at $209.00.

But I see that they now make a model 500 which is $159.00 and has a
plastic bowl instead of stainless. My opinion would be that it is a
pretty good deal.

I use the paper filters
http://www.omegajuicers.com/item.cfm?item=18
which make it easy to clean.

As JG suggested, cleaning up can be a pain, but it's certainly a lot
easier to clean up than a frying pan. It comes apart easily and pretty
much rinses clean. A soft brush for the blade and a sponge for the
plastic and you're done. No tools needed.

I tried juicing raw fresh beets with it (it actually worked great) but
the purple juice did some staining on the plastic. Soaking it in water
with a bit of Clorox cleaned it right up though.

This isn't the model for citrus, which I haven't even tried to do, but I
can slam a half dozen carrots, a few stalks of celery and an apple
(seeds removed) in it and as fast as you push them in, you have juice.
With the paper filter in place, none of the heavier pulp gets through.

If you DO get her one, make sure there are plenty of veggies around on
Christmas morning, 'cause everyone will want a glass.

Dave

p.s. the leftover carrot stuff is great for morning glory muffins and
carrot cake

Best Juicer Under $150 Matt General Cooking 2 03-05-2005 02:33 PM
Best Juicer???????????? zilla235 Vegan 2 26-01-2005 05:51 PM
Best Juicer???????????? usual suspect Vegan 7 26-01-2005 01:19 AM
Best juicer ? DXer Vegan 2 12-12-2004 01:26 PM
Best Juicer MIKE General Cooking 3 11-11-2003 08:19 AM