Kate Dicey

Default Woe! Woe! And thrice: Woe!

A while back there was some talk of pressure cookers, and I was looking
for a gasket for the ole Prestige Sunbeam clamp top type... Well I
never did find one, but I will keep looking.

A new disaster struck my pressure cooking family over the weekend... I
gave the lid of my Prestige Hi-Dome to the DH to tighten the handle, and
the bolt holding it on snapped off in his hand! Not his fault - the
thing must be nearly as old as I am! They still do this model, but not
with this handle, so it looks like I will have to buy a whole new
pressure cooker. Raise your glasses to the passing of an old and
faithful servant!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Debbie Deutsch

Kate Dicey > wrote in
:

> A while back there was some talk of pressure cookers, and I was looking
> for a gasket for the ole Prestige Sunbeam clamp top type... Well I
> never did find one, but I will keep looking.
>
> A new disaster struck my pressure cooking family over the weekend... I
> gave the lid of my Prestige Hi-Dome to the DH to tighten the handle, and
> the bolt holding it on snapped off in his hand! Not his fault - the
> thing must be nearly as old as I am! They still do this model, but not
> with this handle, so it looks like I will have to buy a whole new
> pressure cooker. Raise your glasses to the passing of an old and
> faithful servant!

Have you considered looking for another old pressure cooker (same model)
that you can use for parts? Also, is the bolt the only thing that is
broken? If so, perhaps you can drill it out and get a new bolt...

The newer pressure cookers are very nice, but it is always sad to replace a
faithful old friend of a tool. Whenever I use my new-fangled pressure
cooker, I am reminded of the jiggling and hissing of the one my mother used
to use and memories of the dishes she used to prepare in it. (Anyone
remember Porcupine Meatballs?)

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> A new disaster struck my pressure cooking family over the weekend... I
> gave the lid of my Prestige Hi-Dome to the DH to tighten the handle, and
> the bolt holding it on snapped off in his hand! Not his fault - the
> thing must be nearly as old as I am! They still do this model, but not
> with this handle, so it looks like I will have to buy a whole new
> pressure cooker.

But they still make bolts. Replace it. A new one can be welded in place if
needed.
Ed

Kate Dicey

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> Have you considered looking for another old pressure cooker (same model)
> that you can use for parts? Also, is the bolt the only thing that is
> broken? If so, perhaps you can drill it out and get a new bolt...

I'm not sure it's worth the effort! This one cost me a whole £1 from
the white elephant stalll at the village fete about 15 years ago, and is
probably almost as old as I am. It looks exactly like my mum's, which
IS as old as me! A brand new one that takes the same gaskets and
weights as this would cost me £40. I don't begrudge the money, and it
would mean I had a shiny new one rather than a tatty old one, but I do
mourn the passing of an old friend!

> The newer pressure cookers are very nice, but it is always sad to replace a
> faithful old friend of a tool. Whenever I use my new-fangled pressure
> cooker, I am reminded of the jiggling and hissing of the one my mother used
> to use and memories of the dishes she used to prepare in it. (Anyone
> remember Porcupine Meatballs?)

I'd buy the same model from the same company. Dead simple, and with
care will last another 40+ years! It's the lower one on this page:

http://www.shoppersworld.co.uk/templ...p?d=1705&s=331

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Debbie Deutsch

Kate Dicey > wrote in
:

> Debbie Deutsch wrote:
>

>> Have you considered looking for another old pressure cooker (same
>> model) that you can use for parts? Also, is the bolt the only thing
>> that is broken? If so, perhaps you can drill it out and get a new
>> bolt...
>>

> I'm not sure it's worth the effort! This one cost me a whole £1 from
> the white elephant stalll at the village fete about 15 years ago, and
> is probably almost as old as I am. It looks exactly like my mum's,
> which IS as old as me! A brand new one that takes the same gaskets
> and weights as this would cost me £40. I don't begrudge the money,
> and it would mean I had a shiny new one rather than a tatty old one,
> but I do mourn the passing of an old friend!
>
>> The newer pressure cookers are very nice, but it is always sad to
>> replace a faithful old friend of a tool. Whenever I use my
>> new-fangled pressure cooker, I am reminded of the jiggling and
>> hissing of the one my mother used to use and memories of the dishes
>> she used to prepare in it. (Anyone remember Porcupine Meatballs?)

> I'd buy the same model from the same company. Dead simple, and with
> care will last another 40+ years! It's the lower one on this page:
>
> http://www.shoppersworld.co.uk/templ.../dept.asp?d=17
> 05&s=331

Ah, it reminds me of my mother's old Mirro pressure cooker. However, if
you really do intend to get a new one, you might wish to investigate the
newer designs that don't use a weight to regulate pressure. They are safer
to use. I have a Kuhn-Rikon that I like very much.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.

Jack Sloan

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news

> "Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> > A new disaster struck my pressure cooking family over the weekend... I
> > gave the lid of my Prestige Hi-Dome to the DH to tighten the handle, and
> > the bolt holding it on snapped off in his hand! Not his fault - the
> > thing must be nearly as old as I am! They still do this model, but not
> > with this handle, so it looks like I will have to buy a whole new
> > pressure cooker.

> But they still make bolts. Replace it. A new one can be welded in place
if
> needed.
> Ed

I'm not sure I'd be messin' around customizin' an old pressure cooker. Does
the word KABLOOEY come to mind?
Jack

Kate Dicey

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> Ah, it reminds me of my mother's old Mirro pressure cooker. However, if
> you really do intend to get a new one, you might wish to investigate the
> newer designs that don't use a weight to regulate pressure. They are safer
> to use. I have a Kuhn-Rikon that I like very much.

What's safer than a 40 year life span with no accidents? Just my
experience, knowing my mother's, which is also just like this (same make
and everything) as well as my own. Experience elsewhere in the family
suggests the others available to us here in the UK are nothing like so
reliable and long lasting.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:23:57 -0500, Debbie Deutsch
> wrote:

>Whenever I use my new-fangled pressure
>cooker, I am reminded of the jiggling and hissing of the one my mother used
>to use and memories of the dishes she used to prepare in it. (Anyone
>remember Porcupine Meatballs?)

Oh, boy, do I!

I also remember being warned away from the kitchen when I was young
and the pressure cooker was on.

But most vividly of all, I remember the barley soup on the kitchen
ceiling!

Boron
Debbie Deutsch

Boron Elgar > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:23:57 -0500, Debbie Deutsch
> > wrote:
>
>>Whenever I use my new-fangled pressure
>>cooker, I am reminded of the jiggling and hissing of the one my mother
>>used to use and memories of the dishes she used to prepare in it.
>>(Anyone remember Porcupine Meatballs?)

> Oh, boy, do I!
>
> I also remember being warned away from the kitchen when I was young
> and the pressure cooker was on.
>
> But most vividly of all, I remember the barley soup on the kitchen
> ceiling!
>

> Boron

My mother never warned me out of the kitchen, but all the stories I have
heard about food-on-the-ceiling are what got me to get a newfangled
pressure cooker when it was time to buy my own. Kate may be careful and
lucky, but it's something that could happen to her, too. You can't rule
out something being cooked getting into the pressure valve, and then ka-
boom!

My mother's mother was not a good cook, so my mother had little training
or inspiration when she started cooking herself. She did clip recipes
from the newspaper (and I have her file box). In addition to the
aforementioned Porcupine Meatballs (beef balls with rice in them cooked
in a sauce based on canned tomato soup) she also occasionally made
another meatball dish in the pressure cooker using a can of Del Monte
fruit cocktail as an ingredient for the sauce. My memory was that it was
good. However that was before I started cooking and then moved out and
discovered the big wide world of food. The nifty thing was that when I
visited my parents and cooked for them, my mother would take my recipes
and adopt them for herself. We never stop learning, I guess.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
and when it is found by spammers.
Viviane

I remember being in a share house at university and one of my house mates
had the idea of cooking some dried beans..... We never did get the residue
off the ceiling. It was a bit like watching a rocket being launched!

Viviane

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:23:57 -0500, Debbie Deutsch
> > wrote:
>
> >Whenever I use my new-fangled pressure
> >cooker, I am reminded of the jiggling and hissing of the one my mother

used
> >to use and memories of the dishes she used to prepare in it. (Anyone
> >remember Porcupine Meatballs?)

> Oh, boy, do I!
>
> I also remember being warned away from the kitchen when I was young
> and the pressure cooker was on.
>
> But most vividly of all, I remember the barley soup on the kitchen
> ceiling!
>

> Boron

---

Viviane

Alas, alack, that is akin to losing the family pet. Enjoy your new one when
you get it - it looks very sophisticated. My old one had the valve that
goes up to show the weight - one notch for 5lbs, 2 notches for 10 lbs and 3
notches for 15 lbs. There was a bit of guess work involved.

Viviane