GB

Default Estimating prices of used Garland range

My wife and I are looking at replacing our current disastrous range.
A friend has a used Garland which seems to fit our needs and price
range. But, we think the asking price may be something more than
market rate. Does anyone know where I might look to get a sampling of
used prices for these?

Here are the specs:

- Its a 30 inch, four burner range. The model number is rcs30ir.
This is one of the consumer models Garland no longer makes.
- Gas burners and oven.
- I lacks self-cleaning and sealed burners.
- The range is about five years old, but it hasn't been used for four.
- The oven interior is about 4.1 cu ft. It burns at the temperatures
of current prosumer ranges.
- When Garland was selling these new, they went for about $3K.

If you have any ideas on a fair price or where I could scout
comparison prices, please let me know.

Thank you,

Gary
GB

kylet@ s h o r e . n e t (Kyle Tucker) wrote in message news:<cpJhb.732864$uu5.124718@sccrnsc04>...
> In article >,
> I'd think with only 1 year of use it would be in pretty decent
> shape. If so, take into consideration what's available today
> and the price. For instance, if a similar Viking or Wolf unit is
> $4K (a guess), I'd be more than willing to pay $2500 for the
> Garland, knowing how good it is. Speaking for myself of course.
> And the comment regarding it being better to NOT have sealed
> burners is correct. I can't address the self cleaning aspect,
> but would just consider this one more thing that could break.

Thanks much for the response. One question:

Why is it better not to have sealed burners? My parents are saying its fabulous.

Gary
djl

Exactly. As another perspective, with sealed burners, I always felt
like I *had* to keep it pretty clean, or it didn't look right. With
open burners, the grates burners, and surrounding surface take on a
"patina" that just says "this cooktop is used for cooking, not for
looking". To my eye, this is actually more attractive than a
pristine sealed unit. Now, cleanup is basically nothing more than
wiping up loose food particles and getting the major grease film.

I've never scrubbed the grates, burners or surrounding surfaces, and
have certainly not gone to the lengths of using oven cleaner or the
self-cleaning cycle in the oven to get these parts clean.

Of course, this is all based on the base colors being dark - which is
certainly the case with a Garland. If I had an open burner in a light
color scheme, then that might be the worst of both worlds.