Kate

Default burned sugar on aluminum

I have a Saftborn steam extractor. Today it boiled dry in the bottom
pan, then the extracted grape juice burned dry. I can't use oven
cleaner since it's aluminum. I'm trying to boil water with detergent
in it but have little hope for it. any ideas?

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (8.5), Sage (6), Benno (2.7) Science is not belief,
but
the will to find out.
Kate Dicey

Kate wrote:

> I have a Saftborn steam extractor. Today it boiled dry in the bottom
> pan, then the extracted grape juice burned dry. I can't use oven
> cleaner since it's aluminum. I'm trying to boil water with detergent
> in it but have little hope for it. any ideas?

Leave it to soak for a day or two - no boiling necessary. Sugar
dissolves in water, after all. I got burned jam out of me ally jam pan
like this. Plum jam sticks harder than other sorts...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Vox Humana

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> Kate wrote:
> >
> > I have a Saftborn steam extractor. Today it boiled dry in the bottom
> > pan, then the extracted grape juice burned dry. I can't use oven
> > cleaner since it's aluminum. I'm trying to boil water with detergent
> > in it but have little hope for it. any ideas?
> >

> Leave it to soak for a day or two - no boiling necessary. Sugar
> dissolves in water, after all. I got burned jam out of me ally jam pan
> like this. Plum jam sticks harder than other sorts...

The problem is that it isn't sugar any longer.

Kate Dicey

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> > Kate wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a Saftborn steam extractor. Today it boiled dry in the bottom
> > > pan, then the extracted grape juice burned dry. I can't use oven
> > > cleaner since it's aluminum. I'm trying to boil water with detergent
> > > in it but have little hope for it. any ideas?
> > >

> > Leave it to soak for a day or two - no boiling necessary. Sugar
> > dissolves in water, after all. I got burned jam out of me ally jam pan
> > like this. Plum jam sticks harder than other sorts...
> >

> The problem is that it isn't sugar any longer.

No, basically, it's caramelized sugar: soaks off nicely.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Vox Humana

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:

bottom

detergent

> > > Leave it to soak for a day or two - no boiling necessary. Sugar
> > > dissolves in water, after all. I got burned jam out of me ally jam

pan
> > > like this. Plum jam sticks harder than other sorts...
> > >

> > The problem is that it isn't sugar any longer.

> No, basically, it's caramelized sugar: soaks off nicely.
> --

I guess when the OP said it was "burned" I didn't think that they meant
"caramelized." Even during caramelization there is a transformation of the
sugar into less soluble substances. According to Shirley Corrhier, there are
over 138 compounds formed during the formation of caramel. Eventually the
sugars would be turned into carbon. Been there. Done that. It's not pretty
or water soluble.

"Caramels are formed by a progressive dehydration of the sucrose molecule.
At intervals during the heating of the sucrose solution there is some rapid
boiling as more of the water leaves and some sudden foaming. There are
approximately three sudden boiling stages and the residue after each stage
contain more larger and less water soluble compounds. The initial products
tend to have a bitter flavor but the later ones have a buttery or toffee
note due to some molecular fragmentations. Some flavorful pyrolytic
compounds formed include maltol, iso-maltol and hydroxymethylfurfuranone."

Kate

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >...
> "Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> > Kate wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a Saftborn steam extractor. Today it boiled dry in the bottom
> > > pan, then the extracted grape juice burned dry. I can't use oven
> > > cleaner since it's aluminum. I'm trying to boil water with detergent
> > > in it but have little hope for it. any ideas?
> > >

> > Leave it to soak for a day or two - no boiling necessary. Sugar
> > dissolves in water, after all. I got burned jam out of me ally jam pan
> > like this. Plum jam sticks harder than other sorts...
> >

> The problem is that it isn't sugar any longer.

indeed it is not. what *is* it now? other than charcoal?

scraping has helped but it sounds and feels terrible.

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (8.5), Sage (6), Benno (2.7) Science is not belief, but
the will to find out.
Vox Humana

"Kate" > wrote in message
m...
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message

bottom

detergent

> > > Leave it to soak for a day or two - no boiling necessary. Sugar
> > > dissolves in water, after all. I got burned jam out of me ally jam

pan
> > > like this. Plum jam sticks harder than other sorts...
> > >

> > The problem is that it isn't sugar any longer.

> indeed it is not. what *is* it now? other than charcoal?
>
> scraping has helped but it sounds and feels terrible.

Yes, it probably is more charcoal than sugar. I wish I had a good
suggestion beyond scraping. If the pan is heavy you might see if a
sandblasting shop can clean it as a last resort. I have a SS pan that
burned in an oil fire. I have tried everything from oven cleaner to paint
stripper and nothing will remove the blacken residue.

Kate

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in message ws.com>...
> Kate wrote:
>

> >indeed it is not. what *is* it now? other than charcoal?
> >
> >scraping has helped but it sounds and feels terrible.
> >

> Charcoal it is not, but carbon.

I guess if it had actually been in flames it might be charcoal?

> One thing that works, any alkaline liquid and let it sit over night.
>
> There are liquids like Sokoff or Carb-Off, but they are very expensive
> for what it is.
>
> For the home, baking soda works and so does sudsy ammonia, just prevent
> it from drying out (plastic bag) and give it time to soak, 24 hours is
> not too long. Just don't etch the aluminium.
>
> In the navy, we used Draino, that works, but etches the metal in a
> hurry. :-)

Draino is lye (sodium hydroxide) which is Oven Cleaner. (also Krud
Kutter and a couple other brands) I generally don't bother with oven
cleaner but buy Draino and mix it in a spray bottle. It's harsh but
it works for serious situations.

I found that if I sprayed it with lye solution, set the timer for 5
minutes, rinsed and scraped, it came off with some success. but it
was not fun.

kate

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (8.5), Sage (6), Benno (2.7) My parents were
wonderful
people, but unfortunately they were unable to give me the private
income I so richly deserved. ~ Poet & Head of the NEA Dana Goiai,
explaining
why he has an MBA

Vox Humana

"Kate" > wrote in message
om...
> "H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in message

ws.com>...
> > Kate wrote:
> >

> > >indeed it is not. what *is* it now? other than charcoal?
> > >
> > >scraping has helped but it sounds and feels terrible.
> > >

> > Charcoal it is not, but carbon.
> >

> I guess if it had actually been in flames it might be charcoal?
>
> > One thing that works, any alkaline liquid and let it sit over night.
> >
> > There are liquids like Sokoff or Carb-Off, but they are very expensive
> > for what it is.
> >
> > For the home, baking soda works and so does sudsy ammonia, just prevent
> > it from drying out (plastic bag) and give it time to soak, 24 hours is
> > not too long. Just don't etch the aluminium.
> >
> > In the navy, we used Draino, that works, but etches the metal in a
> > hurry. :-)

> Draino is lye (sodium hydroxide) which is Oven Cleaner. (also Krud
> Kutter and a couple other brands) I generally don't bother with oven
> cleaner but buy Draino and mix it in a spray bottle. It's harsh but
> it works for serious situations.
>
> I found that if I sprayed it with lye solution, set the timer for 5
> minutes, rinsed and scraped, it came off with some success. but it
> was not fun.
>
> kate

I believe that the issue is that the pot is made of aluminum. You shouldn't
use oven clean on aluminum.