Peter

Default Proper use a of diamond steel for honing/sharpening?

I used to have knives sharpened by outside services, they would grind
the blades with the abrasive running away from the edge.

However in the kitchen I would hone the blade by running it in a
diagonal action but nevertheless with the blade moving into the hone.
i,e, the opposite direction to the sharpening.grinding process.

Now I have been playing with one of those diamond steels. How should
they be used? I am using the same technique as with a standard steel
and the results are fine but I am sure I can learn something here!
Steve B.

When you grind metal you create two burrs, an entrance burr and an exit
burr. If the angles are the same, the exit burr is always larger than
the entrance burr. Since this will be your final sharpening operation
and you want your burr to be as small as possible (theoretically zero)
you want to move the blade onto the steel.

For better control of the angle, place a folded towel or other cloth on
the counter, hold the "steel" in your weak hand, (that is PC for left
hand) and slice the knife down each side of the steel with your strong
(PC for right) hand. See
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/knives2.htm#steel2 for a picture.

Steve
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

Peter wrote:
> I used to have knives sharpened by outside services, they would grind
> the blades with the abrasive running away from the edge.
>
> However in the kitchen I would hone the blade by running it in a
> diagonal action but nevertheless with the blade moving into the hone.
> i,e, the opposite direction to the sharpening.grinding process.
>
> Now I have been playing with one of those diamond steels. How should
> they be used? I am using the same technique as with a standard steel
> and the results are fine but I am sure I can learn something here!

Peter

Thanks Steve,

So to confirm, the use of a diamond steel, which presumably grinds, is
the same method as a conventional steel, which just straightens the
knife edge?
Donald Tsang

Peter > wrote:
>So to confirm, the use of a diamond steel, which presumably grinds, is
>the same method as a conventional steel, which just straightens the
>knife edge?

Umm, I think you're confused -- "conventional steels" grind, too (they're
made of harder steels than knives are, while diamond steels have diamond
dust embedded in the steel, so as to provide guaranteed "bite" against
knives of any hardness).

If a knife edge is "bent", there's really no way to "straighten
it", since steel gets harder (and more brittle) when worked. For
the most part all you can do is take that bent part off in little
pieces until it's basically smooth again. Next time you use your steel,
wipe the edge of the re-sharpened blade with a wet paper towel (a
good idea in any case), and see the metal filings.

Donald
Peter

>Umm, I think you're confused -- "conventional steels" grind, too (they're
>made of harder steels than knives are, while diamond steels have diamond
>dust embedded in the steel, so as to provide guaranteed "bite" against
>knives of any hardness).

Yes, I was confused and thanks for your correction. I really did think
that the steel merely bent the edge of my knife back to a straight
edge but had no grinding action.

Peter

>Umm, I think you're confused -- "conventional steels" grind, too (they're
>made of harder steels than knives are, while diamond steels have diamond
>dust embedded in the steel, so as to provide guaranteed "bite" against
>knives of any hardness).

Yes, I was confused and thanks for your correction. I really did think
that the steel merely bent the edge of my knife back to a straight
edge but had no grinding action.

Peter Aitken

"Donald Tsang" > wrote in message
> Peter > wrote:
>>So to confirm, the use of a diamond steel, which presumably grinds, is
>>the same method as a conventional steel, which just straightens the
>>knife edge?

> Umm, I think you're confused -- "conventional steels" grind, too (they're
> made of harder steels than knives are, while diamond steels have diamond
> dust embedded in the steel, so as to provide guaranteed "bite" against
> knives of any hardness).
>
> If a knife edge is "bent", there's really no way to "straighten
> it", since steel gets harder (and more brittle) when worked. For
> the most part all you can do is take that bent part off in little
> pieces until it's basically smooth again. Next time you use your steel,
> wipe the edge of the re-sharpened blade with a wet paper towel (a
> good idea in any case), and see the metal filings.

This is not true. Conventional steels do not grind, they only straighten.

--
Peter Aitken

Mike Acord

Remember that the diamond "steel" will actually remove metal, while a
"steel" steel (and stropping) simply polish the blade by "realigning"
the microscopic teeth of the edge.
If you are used to producing an edge by creating smaller and smaller
burrs (a good technique I recommend drawing the edge across the diamond
steel, AWAY FROM THE EDGE), and periodically feeling the entire length
of the blade for the burr. use the steel in the same direction (drawing
away from the edge), with progressively fewer passes and less pressure
on each side, feeling for the burr after each series (5,4,3,2,1).
Others swear that you have to "cut into" the steel, and claim excellent
results. I think that ultimately it is best left up to you. Try both
ways, and decide which blade best meets your needs. Remember to steel
often for the best results.
Mike Acord

Peter wrote:
> I used to have knives sharpened by outside services, they would grind
> the blades with the abrasive running away from the edge.
>
> However in the kitchen I would hone the blade by running it in a
> diagonal action but nevertheless with the blade moving into the hone.
> i,e, the opposite direction to the sharpening.grinding process.
>
> Now I have been playing with one of those diamond steels. How should
> they be used? I am using the same technique as with a standard steel
> and the results are fine but I am sure I can learn something here!

Steve B.

It depends on the steel and the knife. A cut steel, fine or rough, will
remove metal from a relatively soft knife like an old carbon steel or a
cheap stainless knife. It may or may not remove metal from a better
stainless steel knife. A packers smooth steel, or slick, will not
remove metal from any knife. A diamond or ceramic steel will remove
some metal from any knife.