Vince

Default Best 30" free standing gas range . .

Looking for a new 30", willing to spend from 1000 to 5K, but Ive heard some
of the expensive ones are not worth the extra $$

Any suggestions ? Thanks !

Cape Cod Bob

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:25:09 -0500, sd > wrote:

>There are some pretty decent ranges out there for around US$1000,
>such as Frigidaire's (and its Sears cousin, the Kenmore Elite) and
>the Bosch range. Going up to US$3000-5000 will buy you more burners,
>higher BTU output, more ovens, more features, and (a limited amount
>of) ooh-ahh recognition

The home versions of professional ranges do NOT have higher BTUs than
the extra hot burners on the under $1000 models. You will NOT get
high BTUs on ANY non-professional range.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob
Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
Delete the two "spam"s for email

For what it's worth, I bought a Garland 30 inch freestanding gas range
about four years ago. It has four star pattern burners. I like it very
well, but I sure think $3,000 was a ridiculous price for which to sell
these. Its hottest burner is very hot, and the simmer burner is pretty
good. The stove is a small beast to clean well, and the burners seem
temperamental insofar as they frequently won't light from the
electronic starter and need a match.

I love the ceramic broiler element. It gets super hot.

I hear Bluestar, the successor to Garland, has improved on what I
bought.

Philip Weiss

BlueStar offers a 22K burner on their "professional style" range

"sd" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Cape Cod Bob > wrote:
>
>> The home versions of professional ranges do NOT have higher BTUs than
>> the extra hot burners on the under $1000 models. You will NOT get
>> high BTUs on ANY non-professional range.

> I suppose it comes down to what each of us considers "high BTUs." My
> Frigidaire tops out at 16,000 BTUs for one of the "power burners" --
> somewhat unusual for a range that goes for under a grand. However,
> ranges from companies like Dacor, Viking, and Wolf have burners that
> go up to 18,000 BTU (in the 30" size) -- and that's _every_ burner,
> not just one or two. While that's not the BTUs kicked out by a
> professional range, (BTW, _I_ didn't classify Dacor/Viking/Wolf
> etc., as "home versions of professional ranges;" you did), they _do_
> offer more high-BTU burners than lower-priced ranges.
>
> sd

Vince

Yes, I did hear BlueStar is good, anyone else have one ?

oups.com...