FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Induction cooktop Safe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/59998-induction-cooktop-safe.html)

[email protected] 27-04-2005 09:30 AM

Induction cooktop Safe?

Hi All,

Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?

Most people said that it is safe, because it produce no flame, and
with auto shut off, over heat protection etc...

But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
harmful to human body?

TIA

pltrgyst 27-04-2005 02:03 PM

On 27 Apr 2005 01:30:41 -0700, " > wrote:

>But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
>harmful to human body?

Only if you sit on it.

-- Larry

Donald Tsang 27-04-2005 07:13 PM

> wrote:
>Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?
>
>Most people said that it is safe, because it produce no flame, and
>with auto shut off, over heat protection etc...
>
>But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
>harmful to human body?

Most modern Induction ranges (including the Sunpentown we have) auto-
detect the presence of induction-compatible objects (hopefully cookware)
on them, and turn off rings that aren't getting that feedback.

Therefore, if your induction burner is working properly, there
really shouldn't be any significant magnetic waves coming out from
it, since they'll be completely absorbed by the pan.

I wouldn't leave my induction burner on high, with or without a pan
on it, and walk away, but I wouldn't do that with any burner. We
have, though, used the auto-temperature settings to simmer stews
for hours while we were out of the house.

Donald

PS The term "Electromagnetic Waves" usually refers to photons
(light, radio, etc).

[email protected] 28-04-2005 03:36 AM

Donald,

Thanks for the info. How can I measure the strength of the
Electromagnetic Wave?

Wouldn't it leak from the side / edga of the cooktop?

TIA.

FDR 28-04-2005 05:57 AM

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi All,
>

> Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?
>

> Most people said that it is safe, because it produce no flame, and
> with auto shut off, over heat protection etc...
>

> But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
> harmful to human body?

EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you are an
inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody worries
about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to ones
head.

[email protected] 28-04-2005 07:57 AM

FDR wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

are an
> inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

worries
> about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

ones
> head.

But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
Why are they so harmful?

FDR 28-04-2005 02:03 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> FDR wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

> are an
>> inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

> worries
>> about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

> ones
>> head.

> But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
> Why are they so harmful?

You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source are
incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different properties.

[email protected] 28-04-2005 05:45 PM

> wrote:
> FDR wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

> are an
> > inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

> worries
> > about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

> ones
> > head.

> But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
> Why are they so harmful?

Radio waves aren't particularly harmful, unless you are sitting on
the broadcast antenna of a high power station. Other than that the
big difference is frequency and wavelength. Higher frequency means
shorter wavelengths. When they get short enough to interact with
molecules, then it gets dicy, but that's microwave and beyond.
Also, lasers aren't especially harmful except if they hit your
eye (which is designed to receive light and a laser is a more
powerful light source than your eye is meant to handle). Some
lasers will heat things up, so they could burn you, but that is
no different using a magnifying glass to burn things, just
a more concentrated source.

As for an indcution cooktop, first induction is a different propogation
than EM waves. They are related, but not the same. Yes, there will
also be some EM waves created, but the induction part is about
magnetic eddy currents in metal. Non-magnetic objects will not be
affected. That's why you have to use the right kind of pots, the
induction won't heat up aluminum or some types of stainless steel.
I would not think the acutal EM radiation to be any more than
your average toaster, and possibly less.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Cape Cod Bob 28-04-2005 11:54 PM

> wrote in message

>> Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?

No. they are a plot to wipe out mankind. The manufacturers are aliens
and by producing thousands of these ranges will take over Earth.

I am so sick of hearing about S A F E.

Or Pecan Pie is just eggs and Karo syrup!!! EEEEEK.

Give it a rest.

And, it's ok if your kids play BY THEMSELVES and you may eat a pat of
butter!

Stop bubble wrapping your minds and bodies.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob
Visit my web site at
http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
Delete the two "spam"s for email

[email protected] 29-04-2005 02:37 AM

> You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source
are
> incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different

properties.

Then how about power sub-station? They are of the same frequency right,
and still dangerous.

Robert Klute 29-04-2005 03:05 AM

On 28 Apr 2005 18:37:12 -0700, " >
wrote:

>> You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source are
>> incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different properties.

>Then how about power sub-station? They are of the same frequency right,
>and still dangerous.

Water out of the tap isn't dangerous. Water out of a fire hose or a 4
inch main is. It is a matter of 'volume'.

Wayne Boatwright 29-04-2005 03:56 AM

On Thu 28 Apr 2005 03:54:22p, Cape Cod Bob wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> > wrote in message
>
>>> Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?

> No. they are a plot to wipe out mankind. The manufacturers are aliens
> and by producing thousands of these ranges will take over Earth.

Actually, I thought the induction units *were* the aliens!

> I am so sick of hearing about S A F E.
>
> Or Pecan Pie is just eggs and Karo syrup!!! EEEEEK.

And one of my favorites!

> Give it a rest.
>
> And, it's ok if your kids play BY THEMSELVES and you may eat a pat of
> butter!

My doctor actually prefers that I use butter over most other fats.

> Stop bubble wrapping your minds and bodies.

Yup, burst those bubbles and air out your brain!

> ------------
> There are no atheists in foxholes
> or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
> game.
> ____
>
> Cape Cod Bob
> Visit my web site at
http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
> Delete the two "spam"s for email

I get the following message when I try the above URL:

The page you are looking for has not yet been created or has a
different URL. Please check the URL and try again.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

FDR 29-04-2005 04:28 AM

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>> You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source

> are
>> incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different

> properties.
>
> Then how about power sub-station? They are of the same frequency right,
> and still dangerous.

Even near substations the risk is extremely low. You'd be more likely to
die from electrocution before radiation.