Wayne Boatwright

Default Convection Ovens / Fan Ovens???

I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would have a
perspective on this, but have had no response.

I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection" ovens, one in
my range and an excellent countertop model.

I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but I've never
seen one for sale in the US.

Are these all the same thing, but different names?

On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a long-
ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that they couldn't
turn the fan off.

Comments?

TIA
Wayne
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would

have a
> perspective on this, but have had no response.
>
> I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection" ovens, one

in
> my range and an excellent countertop model.
>
> I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but I've

never
> seen one for sale in the US.
>
> Are these all the same thing, but different names?
>
> On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a

long-
> ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that they

couldn't
> turn the fan off.

My oven is a convection model, but it just has a fan behind the rear wall
and circulates the air that is heated by the elements at the top and bottom
of the oven. I think that is a fan oven. As you know, true convection
ovens have an element associated with the fan and may or may not use the
other elements in the oven.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 03:28:04p, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would
>> have a perspective on this, but have had no response.
>>
>> I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection" ovens,
>> one in my range and an excellent countertop model.
>>
>> I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but I've
>> never seen one for sale in the US.
>>
>> Are these all the same thing, but different names?
>>
>> On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a
>> long- ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that
>> they couldn't turn the fan off.
>>

> My oven is a convection model, but it just has a fan behind the rear
> wall and circulates the air that is heated by the elements at the top
> and bottom of the oven. I think that is a fan oven. As you know, true
> convection ovens have an element associated with the fan and may or may
> not use the other elements in the oven.

Thanks, Vox. Both my ovens have a separate dedicated heating element
associated with the fan. I've never actually seen one where the fan only
circulates heat generated by the bottom and/or top elements. Whenever I
see "fan oven" or "fan-assist oven" it's usually associated with cooking
units in the UK, Europe, or Asian markets. It sounds as though most of
their ovens are of that type, even moreso than ovens with no fan at all.

Wayne

igor

On 30 Jan 2005 19:55:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would have a
>perspective on this, but have had no response.
>
>I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection" ovens, one in
>my range and an excellent countertop model.
>
>I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but I've never
>seen one for sale in the US.
>
>Are these all the same thing, but different names?
>
>On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a long-
>ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that they couldn't
>turn the fan off.

Who makes the ovens you have?
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 08:06:02p, igor wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> On 30 Jan 2005 19:55:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would
>>have a perspective on this, but have had no response.
>>
>>I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection" ovens,
>>one in my range and an excellent countertop model.
>>
>>I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but I've
>>never seen one for sale in the US.
>>
>>Are these all the same thing, but different names?
>>
>>On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a
>>long- ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that
>>they couldn't turn the fan off.
>>

> Who makes the ovens you have?

The range is GE. It has a rear fan with a circular heating element
surrounding it, covered by a shroud. GE makes a variety of models with the
same convection feature.

The countertop model is a Farberware T490C commercial convection oven. It
has a top mounted fan with enclosed heating element around the fan.

Wayne

igor

On 1 Feb 2005 04:13:23 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Mon 31 Jan 2005 08:06:02p, igor wrote in rec.food.equipment:

>> Who makes the ovens you have?

>The range is GE. It has a rear fan with a circular heating element
>surrounding it, covered by a shroud. GE makes a variety of models with the
>same convection feature.
>
>The countertop model is a Farberware T490C commercial convection oven. It
>has a top mounted fan with enclosed heating element around the fan.
>
>Wayne

Thanks.
David Hare-Scott

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
: On Mon 31 Jan 2005 08:06:02p, igor wrote in rec.food.equipment:
:
: > On 30 Jan 2005 19:55:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
: >
: >>I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers would
: >>have a perspective on this, but have had no response.
: >>
[...]

Both your ovens are fan ovens at least sometimes. Convection refers to the
circulation of fluids (air in this case) caused by the difference in density
brought about by heat. Whether your ovens are part-fan, fan-assist,
maybe-fan or some other form of fan is just ad-speak.

If they have a fan then while the fan is going it will dominate convection
effects. So if they are working in fan or convection mode at a given time
depends on if the fan is going not what the name is on the box.

David

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 03 Feb 2005 03:48:50a, David Hare-Scott wrote in
rec.food.equipment:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>: On Mon 31 Jan 2005 08:06:02p, igor wrote in rec.food.equipment:
>:
>: > On 30 Jan 2005 19:55:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>: >
>: >>I posted the following on alt.bread.recipes thinking that bakers
>: >>would have a perspective on this, but have had no response.
>: >>
>: >>I know what a convection oven is. I have two "true convection"
>: >>ovens, one in my range and an excellent countertop model.
>: >>
>: >>I read periodically about "fan-ovens" and "fan-assist" ovens, but
>: >>I've never seen one for sale in the US.
>: >>
>: >>Are these all the same thing, but different names?
>: >>
>: >>On my range oven I can choose whether to use convection or not. In a
>: >>long- ago thread, I remember someone with a fan-oven commenting that
>: >>they couldn't turn the fan off.
>: >>
>: > Who makes the ovens you have?
>:
>: The range is GE. It has a rear fan with a circular heating element
>: surrounding it, covered by a shroud. GE makes a variety of models with
>: the same convection feature.
>:
>: The countertop model is a Farberware T490C commercial convection oven.
>: It has a top mounted fan with enclosed heating element around the fan.
>:
>: Wayne
>:
>
> Both your ovens are fan ovens at least sometimes. Convection refers to
> the circulation of fluids (air in this case) caused by the difference in
> density brought about by heat. Whether your ovens are part-fan,
> fan-assist, maybe-fan or some other form of fan is just ad-speak.
>
> If they have a fan then while the fan is going it will dominate
> convection effects. So if they are working in fan or convection mode at
> a given time depends on if the fan is going not what the name is on the
> box.
>
> David

Thanks, David. Helpful!

Wayne

Convection ovens Tom Del Rosso[_5_] General Cooking 30 29-07-2016 07:37 PM
CONVECTION VS CONVENTIONAL OVENS gilagirl General Cooking 2 05-09-2007 02:10 PM
Convection Ovens Scott O Baking 5 03-12-2006 05:29 PM
Convection Ovens Frank103 Baking 6 16-10-2006 08:06 PM
Convection Ovens [email protected] Cooking Equipment 16 19-10-2005 08:38 PM