Dee Randall

Default Vacuum Sealing Bags

Hello,
I read the last posting re the sealing bags. I see them all the time at
Costco. Since I live a distance away from shopping, I am accustomed to
buying in bulk, storing in jars, freezing, keeping items stored at proper
temperatures. In my refrigerator drawer I have loads of cheeses wrapped in
butcher paper and placed in zip-lock bags. (This might have been a tip I
got here - from you,Vox?) and I like very much. I have wondered how these
sealed bags might help me with storage. Would anyone like to state how they
mostly use these bags, for what?
P.S. My husband is a big eater and a lot of left/overs remain for only a
day.
P.P.S. Would this help in any way in freezing dough.
Thanks for any answers.
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I read the last posting re the sealing bags. I see them all the time at
> Costco. Since I live a distance away from shopping, I am accustomed to
> buying in bulk, storing in jars, freezing, keeping items stored at proper
> temperatures. In my refrigerator drawer I have loads of cheeses wrapped

in
> butcher paper and placed in zip-lock bags. (This might have been a tip I
> got here - from you,Vox?) and I like very much. I have wondered how these
> sealed bags might help me with storage. Would anyone like to state how

they
> mostly use these bags, for what?
> P.S. My husband is a big eater and a lot of left/overs remain for only a
> day.
> P.P.S. Would this help in any way in freezing dough.
> Thanks for any answers.
> Dee

I use them to portion out things I buy in bulk on sale and for things that I
make in bulk. For instance, there was a special on chicken breasts
recently, 87 cents a pound. I bought a dozen packages, boned and skinned
them. I froze the meat in the bags. I then used the bones and skin to make
stock. I then portioned out the stock into one cup portions and froze that
to use in cooking. Some of the stock was frozen in quart portions to make
soup with. I got a 40 pound box of bananas for $1 at the supermarket and
peeled and froze them. I use them to make banana bread and other baked
goods. I get pork loin on sale and cut it into slices and leave some in
larger portions to roast. I get popcorn in large quantities and vacuum pack
most of it for later uses and keeps some out for immediate use. I like to
seal some ingredients like tapioca in the bags because I don't use it too
often and don't want to get bugs. I find that if I put things like cheese
in the bags, it keeps me from snacking on it - because I don't want to open
and reseal the bags. You can also use the bags to seal things when you
travel. They can be used for document storage as they seal out the air and
keep the items dry. I'm sure there are some very creative uses for the
system.

Stryjewski

Vox Humana wrote:
> I find that if I put things like cheese
> in the bags, it keeps me from snacking on it - because I don't want to open
> and reseal the bags. You can also use the bags to seal things when you
> travel. They can be used for document storage as they seal out the air and
> keep the items dry. I'm sure there are some very creative uses for the
> system.

For lots of tips and discussion see the YahooGroups "FoodSaver" group.
The folks there are fanatical about using the sealers, though most use
"canning" jars for storage.

Pete

pstryjew ta att tod com

Vox Humana

"Stryjewski" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > I find that if I put things like cheese
> > in the bags, it keeps me from snacking on it - because I don't want to

open
> > and reseal the bags. You can also use the bags to seal things when you
> > travel. They can be used for document storage as they seal out the air

and
> > keep the items dry. I'm sure there are some very creative uses for the
> > system.
> >

> For lots of tips and discussion see the YahooGroups "FoodSaver" group.
> The folks there are fanatical about using the sealers, though most use
> "canning" jars for storage.

I have the jar sealer, but haven't used it. I like the idea of using the
jars in the freezer as they would stack better and seem better suited to
liquids.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> I have the jar sealer, but haven't used it. I like the idea of using the
> jars in the freezer as they would stack better and seem better suited to
> liquids.

It is good for that half jar of sauce that may sit in the fridge for a while
as it will extend its life. We rarely use it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> I have the jar sealer, but haven't used it. I like the idea of using the
> jars in the freezer as they would stack better and seem better suited to
> liquids.

It is good for that half jar of sauce that may sit in the fridge for a while
as it will extend its life. We rarely use it.

Peter Stryjewski

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>
>>I have the jar sealer, but haven't used it. I like the idea of using the
>>jars in the freezer as they would stack better and seem better suited to
>>liquids.

> It is good for that half jar of sauce that may sit in the fridge for a while
> as it will extend its life. We rarely use it.

Sounding like a "shill" for the Yahoo group... The folks there go
crazy. They use small canning jars, large, 1/2 gallon, gallon pickle
jars, etc. There is a neat trick for using a pin hole in a lid with
electrical tape covering it. Vacuum the air out of the jar, to break the
seal lift the tape, seal it again. The "universal" jar sealer works
better than the standard, but there are hints to get the standard one to
work better. There is a FAQ associated with the group too.

There is also a lot of talk about bags too, where they are on sale, what
works, what doesn't, and other tricks. Just about anything that can be
sealed in a bag or jar has been tried.

Pete