FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   What is the best nut cracker??? (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/47276-what-best-nut-cracker.html)

TOM KAN PA 09-12-2004 10:12 PM

What is the best nut cracker???

I'm looking for a GOOD nutcracker. I saw an ad for one that consisted of two
circles. The one was about 6" from the other and there were four rods going
through one and then through the other. It looked like a cage that would hold
an hour glass.
You would put the nut inside this contraption and then turn each circle in
opposite directions. This would cause the rods to contract and crack the nut.
It was almost guaranteed to remove the meat in one piece.
Does anyone know what this device is, or can you reccomend a good nutcracker???

Repeating Rifle 09-12-2004 11:34 PM

Along these lines, how are nuts cracked commercially? In particular, how are
macadamia nuts cracked?

When I had some macadamia nuts to cracked, I used vise-grip pliers. They
were fine for a small had operation. Because the nuts are not of uniform
size, I had to to a lot of adjusting. That is just not feasible even for $20
a pound nuts.

Bill

Cynthia Mason 12-12-2004 05:26 AM

We have used a Reeds Rocket nutcracker for 30 years or more. It is
great for pecans, walnuts, Brazil or hazelnuts. We live where they were
invented and haven't found anything better. When we have many pounds of
pecans we take them to a commercial "nutcracker" and pay a small amount
a pound to have them cracked mechanically. For small amounts we drag
out the Reed's Rocket. I think they still make them,, Google it and
see>>>

Don Wiss 12-12-2004 01:22 PM

On 09 Dec 2004 21:12:55 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

>I'm looking for a GOOD nutcracker.

How about this one?
http://members.aol.com/mhenkassoc/nnga/adsqpage.htm#ad1
Or the electric version: http://members.aol.com/mhenkassoc/nnga/huntpic.htm

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Don Wiss 12-12-2004 01:22 PM

Don Wiss 12-12-2004 01:22 PM

John LaBella 18-12-2004 03:53 PM

In article >,
says...
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

> >I'm looking for a GOOD nutcracker.

> How about this one?
http://members.aol.com/mhenkassoc/nnga/adsqpage.htm#ad1
> Or the electric version: http://members.aol.com/mhenkassoc/nnga/huntpic.htm
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

I remember seeing a Nut cracker especially for Mac Nuts ... had some form
of rachet to crack them.... do a google on Macadamia nut cracker

John LaBella 18-12-2004 03:53 PM

In article >,
says...