Spraying butter?

Old 28-03-2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky

Default Spraying butter?

Chemiker wrote:

NTLA (Not Too Long Ago), I decided to make an(other) apple crisp.
Fruit was to be Fuji or Gala or a mix of those apples, with the
typical streusel topping, augmented with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.

My earlier tries resulted in rather soggy toppings, anything but
"crisp". This time I followed the standard procedure, but about 5-8
minutes before the dish was done, I brushed the topping with melted
butter, using a silicone brush. VOILA! Crisp as concrete! Flavor was
good, crunch was definitely there, and no nuts were needed (can't eat
them).

It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
crisp, it would be a boon to humanity. Not only that, but if it could
also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.

Since I am about as proficient in baking as I am in speaking fluent
Afghan, or Urdu, or whatever it is, I throw this question out to those
more knowledgable than I.

Is there such a device? If not, how have you addressed this problem?

To keep the butter melted, the sprayer contraption would have to be
heated somehow, wouldn't it? Otherwise, the butter would just solidify,
wouldn't it. Wouldn't using a pastry brush to lightly brush-on the
melted butter do about the same thing ??

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 29-03-2010, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:17:21 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

....Not only that, but if it could
also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.

Pump-up evoo sprays are widely available and very useful. I have one in my
caibnet nearest the stove.

-- Larry
Old 29-03-2010, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:52:25 -0400, pltrgyst
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:17:21 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

....Not only that, but if it could
also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.

Pump-up evoo sprays are widely available and very useful. I have one in my
caibnet nearest the stove.

-- Larry

DIdn't know that. Have to get one for those veggies. Thanks for the
tip.

Alex
Old 29-03-2010, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" wrote in message
[...]

TIA, Alex

don't know if this is for sale, but:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4477023.html

Old 30-03-2010, 06:24 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:05:55 -0400, Susan wrote:

I threw mine away, it was more trouble than it was worth.

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread...ve-oil-sprayer

I suspect where you keep it -- especially the temperature -- has a lot to do
with how well it functions.

Mine's been in continuous use for about ten years, with nothing more than
occasional topping up. No clogging, no cleaning, no problems.

{Shrug} YMMV, obviously.

-- Larry
Old 30-03-2010, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" wrote in message
[...]

I took a class where we sprayed warm (about 80 degrees) chocolate/cocoa
butter using a compressed air sprayer. Should work for butter, but the set
up and clean up might be a bit much for your use.

Old 30-03-2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:40:10 -0400, Susan wrote:

Mine's been in continuous use for about ten years, with nothing more than
occasional topping up. No clogging, no cleaning, no problems.

{Shrug} YMMV, obviously.

Your mileage *really* varies, since most folks have the clog problem. :-)

Then don't jinx me! 8

-- Larry
Old 30-03-2010, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:53:08 -0400, Susan wrote:

Then don't jinx me! 8

Let's both spit 3X and throw salt over our shoulders, then!

Drat ... now I've got a wet monitor and a ticked-off boss, who was standing
behind me ....

-- Larry
Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
crisp, it would be a boon to humanity.

Many years ago, when I worked for Famous-Barr prior to the Macy's
acquisition, they got a new manager in the corporate warehouse, and he
started liquidating through the stores all kinds of outdate things that
had been languishing. Among them were these yellow and clear plastic
bottles with a sprayer on top. The idea was to put the butter in the
clear bottle, melt it, stick the sprayer assembly on top and spray
butter. Remove sprayer, place storage cap on bottle and keep in fridge
until needed again. The idea was that butter in the sprayer assembly
would absorb heat from melted butter to free it up.

Didn't work worth a ####. Had to keep bottle full of butter to radiate
enough heat, and you could not put sprayer in microwave because it had
metal parts that would absorb to much microwave power and melt the
plastic parts. Worked on first try only, then after, nothing. Wasted
about 68-70 cents on it; 49 cents for sprayer on clearance, 15 cents for
one stick of butter from a 59 cent package, and 2-4 cents worth of
electricity running the microwave to melt the butter.

That was in 2002, and the packages of sprayers were old when they came
from the warehouse.

jt
Old 20-06-2010, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" wrote in message
[...]

Just worked a week at a resort. They used a food grade spray bottle, filled
it up with warm clarified butter, and sprayed away. Later, when it was
solid, we put the bottle in a bain marie, and it sprayed just fine.