J. Greene

Default Placement of small fridge - safety question

I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area at
the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
(fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

Thanks,
Jeff

Vox Humana

"J. Greene" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
> basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
> drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
> refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic

foot
> refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area

at
> the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

I don't think that putting in a cabinet is a good idea. If you want
completely invisible refrigeration, you could get a refrigerator drawer.

Vox Humana

"J. Greene" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
> basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
> drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
> refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic

foot
> refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area

at
> the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

I don't think that putting in a cabinet is a good idea. If you want
completely invisible refrigeration, you could get a refrigerator drawer.

Vox Humana

"J. Greene" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
> basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
> drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
> refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic

foot
> refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area

at
> the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

I don't think that putting in a cabinet is a good idea. If you want
completely invisible refrigeration, you could get a refrigerator drawer.

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:
> "J. Greene" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
>>basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
>>drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
>>refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic

> foot
>
>>refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area

> at
>
>>the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
>>installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
>>(fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

> I don't think that putting in a cabinet is a good idea. If you want
> completely invisible refrigeration, you could get a refrigerator drawer.

You don't say the layout but if it's possible to leave the back open
while keeping the front concealed (into another room maybe?) I don't
think that it would be a problem.

In a totally enclosed cabinet? I don't think that I'd do it.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:
> "J. Greene" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
>>basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
>>drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
>>refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic

> foot
>
>>refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area

> at
>
>>the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
>>installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
>>(fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

> I don't think that putting in a cabinet is a good idea. If you want
> completely invisible refrigeration, you could get a refrigerator drawer.

You don't say the layout but if it's possible to leave the back open
while keeping the front concealed (into another room maybe?) I don't
think that it would be a problem.

In a totally enclosed cabinet? I don't think that I'd do it.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Kenneth

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:58:15 GMT, "J. Greene"
> wrote:

>I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
>basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
>drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
>refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
>refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area at
>the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
>installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
>(fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

Hey Jeff,

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you could possibly get
around the ventilation problem by providing a grate above and to the
rear.

We have a setup rather like that in my office... Works just fine.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:58:15 GMT, "J. Greene"
> wrote:

>I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
>basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
>drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
>refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
>refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area at
>the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
>installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
>(fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

Hey Jeff,

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you could possibly get
around the ventilation problem by providing a grate above and to the
rear.

We have a setup rather like that in my office... Works just fine.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:58:15 GMT, "J. Greene"
> wrote:

>I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
>basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage for
>drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
>refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
>refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area at
>the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
>installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
>(fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

Hey Jeff,

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you could possibly get
around the ventilation problem by providing a grate above and to the
rear.

We have a setup rather like that in my office... Works just fine.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Wayne

"J. Greene" > wrote in
. com:

> I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
> basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage
> for drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
> refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3
> cubic foot refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has
> just a small area at the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely
> place that inside the installed cabinets or am I risking compressor
> problems or heat buildup (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone
> out there done this before?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

No matter how you provide, the refrigerator *will* need ventilation.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

"J. Greene" > wrote in
. com:

> I'm installing a short run of cabinets (6 feet or so) in our finished
> basement/home theater area. We want some very small chilled storage
> for drinks/water down there, but we'd rather not see an undercounter
> refrigerator. So, my question is this -- if I buy one of those 3
> cubic foot refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has
> just a small area at the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely
> place that inside the installed cabinets or am I risking compressor
> problems or heat buildup (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone
> out there done this before?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

No matter how you provide, the refrigerator *will* need ventilation.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Edwin Pawlowski

"J. Greene" > wrote in message
> if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
> refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area
> at
> the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

The running motor generates heat. The contents are cooled inside because it
extracts the heat and puts it outside. The heat has to go someplace and it
will build up inside the cabinet.

Potential problems:
The fridge will not cool in the hot environment because the compressor does
not have enough capacity
The compressor will die from the heat
The cabinet will be ruined by the heat over time

I doubt it would get hot enough for a fire.

Are the cabinets between two walls or will there be an open end? If an end
was open, you could cut away most of the wood and replace it with a wire
mesh or screening.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"J. Greene" > wrote in message
> if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
> refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area
> at
> the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

The running motor generates heat. The contents are cooled inside because it
extracts the heat and puts it outside. The heat has to go someplace and it
will build up inside the cabinet.

Potential problems:
The fridge will not cool in the hot environment because the compressor does
not have enough capacity
The compressor will die from the heat
The cabinet will be ruined by the heat over time

I doubt it would get hot enough for a fire.

Are the cabinets between two walls or will there be an open end? If an end
was open, you could cut away most of the wood and replace it with a wire
mesh or screening.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"J. Greene" > wrote in message
> if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
> refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small area
> at
> the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

The running motor generates heat. The contents are cooled inside because it
extracts the heat and puts it outside. The heat has to go someplace and it
will build up inside the cabinet.

Potential problems:
The fridge will not cool in the hot environment because the compressor does
not have enough capacity
The compressor will die from the heat
The cabinet will be ruined by the heat over time

I doubt it would get hot enough for a fire.

Are the cabinets between two walls or will there be an open end? If an end
was open, you could cut away most of the wood and replace it with a wire
mesh or screening.
Ed

J. Greene

Ed -

All the comments have been helpful.

The location is walls on three sides, about 6 feet in length with a 3 foot
wall on each end of that 6 foot run. My intention was to place 6 feet of
cabinet there, but based on all the comments, sounds like I better convince
my wife that she better start getting used to seeing the front of an
undercounter sized refrigerator. While I could cut out the back of the
cabinet on the 6 foot wall to accomodate hiding a small unit in the cabinet,
the countertop would effectively seal it up and leave nowhere for the
compressor heat to escape to.

Jeff

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "J. Greene" > wrote in message
> > if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
> > refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small

area
> > at
> > the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> > installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> > (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

> The running motor generates heat. The contents are cooled inside because

it
> extracts the heat and puts it outside. The heat has to go someplace and

it
> will build up inside the cabinet.
>
> Potential problems:
> The fridge will not cool in the hot environment because the compressor

does
> not have enough capacity
> The compressor will die from the heat
> The cabinet will be ruined by the heat over time
>
> I doubt it would get hot enough for a fire.
>
> Are the cabinets between two walls or will there be an open end? If an

end
> was open, you could cut away most of the wood and replace it with a wire
> mesh or screening.
> Ed

J. Greene

Ed -

All the comments have been helpful.

The location is walls on three sides, about 6 feet in length with a 3 foot
wall on each end of that 6 foot run. My intention was to place 6 feet of
cabinet there, but based on all the comments, sounds like I better convince
my wife that she better start getting used to seeing the front of an
undercounter sized refrigerator. While I could cut out the back of the
cabinet on the 6 foot wall to accomodate hiding a small unit in the cabinet,
the countertop would effectively seal it up and leave nowhere for the
compressor heat to escape to.

Jeff

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "J. Greene" > wrote in message
> > if I buy one of those 3 cubic foot
> > refrigerators (like the ones you see in dorms) that has just a small

area
> > at
> > the top for a small ice cube tray, can I safely place that inside the
> > installed cabinets or am I risking compressor problems or heat buildup
> > (fire?) due to lack of ventilation? Anyone out there done this before?

> The running motor generates heat. The contents are cooled inside because

it
> extracts the heat and puts it outside. The heat has to go someplace and

it
> will build up inside the cabinet.
>
> Potential problems:
> The fridge will not cool in the hot environment because the compressor

does
> not have enough capacity
> The compressor will die from the heat
> The cabinet will be ruined by the heat over time
>
> I doubt it would get hot enough for a fire.
>
> Are the cabinets between two walls or will there be an open end? If an

end
> was open, you could cut away most of the wood and replace it with a wire
> mesh or screening.
> Ed

Kenneth

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:30:26 GMT, "J. Greene"
> wrote:

>sounds like I better convince
>my wife that she better start getting used to seeing the front of an
>undercounter sized refrigerator.

Or possibly a ventilating screen of some sort...

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:30:26 GMT, "J. Greene"
> wrote:

>sounds like I better convince
>my wife that she better start getting used to seeing the front of an
>undercounter sized refrigerator.

Or possibly a ventilating screen of some sort...

--
Kenneth

Edwin Pawlowski

"J. Greene" > wrote in message

> The location is walls on three sides, about 6 feet in length with a 3 foot
> wall on each end of that 6 foot run. My intention was to place 6 feet of
> cabinet there, but based on all the comments, sounds like I better
> convince
> my wife that she better start getting used to seeing the front of an
> undercounter sized refrigerator.

Just a thought. If the cabinet doors have panels, you could perhaps remove
a panel and replace it with some sort of screening material that would
obscure the view but allow air to circulate.

Or cut the panel to fit the fridge door the way the expensive full size
appliances use them.

Edwin Pawlowski