Doug Ventura

Default Looking for recommendation on high end dishwasher

I'm not all that knowledgable in this area.....I do know my GE (less than 8
years old) can't seem to clean, nor dry.....is always leaking....and sounds
like a locomotive. I assume our builder was "cheaping out" ....

I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.

Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Doug

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Ventura" > wrote in message

> I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
> has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>
> Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance, Doug

Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid machines.
Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got another KA. Does
a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for the top of the line.

It has a better, heavier spray bar and racks compared to the lower priced
brands. We also considered Maytag and took a quick peek at a Bosch. The KA
was our choice, but the others, especially the Maytag, are darned good also.

I found that the GE, Hotpoint, Frigidaire, etc., tend to be of lesser
quality.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Ventura" > wrote in message

> I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
> has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>
> Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance, Doug

Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid machines.
Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got another KA. Does
a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for the top of the line.

It has a better, heavier spray bar and racks compared to the lower priced
brands. We also considered Maytag and took a quick peek at a Bosch. The KA
was our choice, but the others, especially the Maytag, are darned good also.

I found that the GE, Hotpoint, Frigidaire, etc., tend to be of lesser
quality.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Ventura" > wrote in message

> I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
> has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>
> Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance, Doug

Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid machines.
Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got another KA. Does
a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for the top of the line.

It has a better, heavier spray bar and racks compared to the lower priced
brands. We also considered Maytag and took a quick peek at a Bosch. The KA
was our choice, but the others, especially the Maytag, are darned good also.

I found that the GE, Hotpoint, Frigidaire, etc., tend to be of lesser
quality.

Don Wiss

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Doug Ventura > wrote:

>I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
>has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>
>Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
running. But more than a grand.

Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
record.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Don Wiss

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Doug Ventura > wrote:

>I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
>has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>
>Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
running. But more than a grand.

Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
record.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Rina

Hmmm not what I wanted to read... We have a Whirlpool that's over 20 years
old, the only repair has been replacing the door springs, it's not broken
but is next on our replace list. I'd buy another just like it, but my
husband is pushing for a Bosch. My husband wants a "quieter" one, and he
wants nylon racks.

I like the silverware on the door feature of my current dishwasher, I do 1
load a day and never wash pots & pans in the dish washer.

Any more suggestions.....

Rina

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Doug Ventura > wrote:
>
> >I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant

style...it
> >has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
> >
> >Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

> Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
> running. But more than a grand.
>
> Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
> record.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Rina

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Doug Ventura > wrote:
>
> >I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant

style...it
> >has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
> >
> >Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

> Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
> running. But more than a grand.
>
> Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
> record.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

S Viemeister

Doug Ventura wrote:

> I'm not all that knowledgable in this area.....I do know my GE (less than 8
> years old) can't seem to clean, nor dry.....is always leaking....and sounds
> like a locomotive. I assume our builder was "cheaping out" ....
>
> I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
> has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.

Our current machine is a Maytag.
Much quieter than other machines I've used, cleans well, has a stainless
interior and very flexible interior design, with
removeable/adjustable/flippable racking. It's a standard size, and fairly
easy to install (I did it myself.)
It accommodates stemware and large baking sheets, and even has a special
basket for safe washing of sharp kitchen knives.
I don't offhand remember the price (it was a couple of years ago), but it
was definitely well under 1000.

Sheila

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rina" > wrote in message
> Hmmm not what I wanted to read... We have a Whirlpool that's over 20
> years
> old, the only repair has been replacing the door springs, it's not broken
> but is next on our replace list. I'd buy another just like it, but my
> husband is pushing for a Bosch. My husband wants a "quieter" one, and he
> wants nylon racks.

My local dealer no longer displays the Bosch for just that reason. He says
they wash very good, are quiet, but have too many problems. He can still
get them though.

OTOH, any brand you buy is going to be quieter than what you have now. I
can barely tell our Kitchen Aid is running most of the time, and cannot tell
at other times in the cycle. KA is made by Whirlpool, but in a side by
side, we preferred the KA. Maytag has had an excellent reputation for many
years. A feature of the Maytag is the third rack on a couple of models. At
first glance it seemed to be a good idea, but in function, we did now see
where it would be a plus, and it was very low so lots of bending required.

Kenmore (most are made by Whirlpool) have a pretty good reputation. I'm not
a fan of Sears so I did not consider them.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rina" > wrote in message
> Hmmm not what I wanted to read... We have a Whirlpool that's over 20
> years
> old, the only repair has been replacing the door springs, it's not broken
> but is next on our replace list. I'd buy another just like it, but my
> husband is pushing for a Bosch. My husband wants a "quieter" one, and he
> wants nylon racks.

My local dealer no longer displays the Bosch for just that reason. He says
they wash very good, are quiet, but have too many problems. He can still
get them though.

OTOH, any brand you buy is going to be quieter than what you have now. I
can barely tell our Kitchen Aid is running most of the time, and cannot tell
at other times in the cycle. KA is made by Whirlpool, but in a side by
side, we preferred the KA. Maytag has had an excellent reputation for many
years. A feature of the Maytag is the third rack on a couple of models. At
first glance it seemed to be a good idea, but in function, we did now see
where it would be a plus, and it was very low so lots of bending required.

Kenmore (most are made by Whirlpool) have a pretty good reputation. I'm not
a fan of Sears so I did not consider them.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Brian Seeger

S Viemeister > wrote:

>Our current machine is a Maytag.
>Much quieter than other machines I've used, cleans well, has a stainless
>interior and very flexible interior design, with
>removeable/adjustable/flippable racking. It's a standard size, and fairly
>easy to install (I did it myself.)

My Maytag is the best machine we have ever had also....about $450.00 and never
needed a repair. My previous machine....Frigidare had more repairs than the
cost of the machine. The repairman said he has a Maytag....little repair and
parts are immediately accessible.

Brian Seeger

S Viemeister > wrote:

>Our current machine is a Maytag.
>Much quieter than other machines I've used, cleans well, has a stainless
>interior and very flexible interior design, with
>removeable/adjustable/flippable racking. It's a standard size, and fairly
>easy to install (I did it myself.)

My Maytag is the best machine we have ever had also....about $450.00 and never
needed a repair. My previous machine....Frigidare had more repairs than the
cost of the machine. The repairman said he has a Maytag....little repair and
parts are immediately accessible.

sd

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
> running. But more than a grand.

It is possible to get into Miele for well less than a grand. The issue
with Miele and some other brands is if authorized service is available
in the area. Excellent reputation, though, and one of the very few
"20-year" dishwashers still being made.

> Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
> record.

Bosch _is_ quiet, and cleans well. They are not as bulletproof as the
Miele, if what I hear is any indication. Asko falls into the same
category. Curiously, both seem to have the genes to last 20 years, but
people still sometimes have problems with them. Actually, most of the
people I know with _recent_ Askos (myself included) have had very few
problems with them. The same cannot be said by those who bought 4-5
years ago. Asko does offer a three-year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty,
though. Bosch/Asko will start at around $600 and go up from there.

Be a little careful of Maytag. I participate in a few Internet forums
in which appliances are discussed, and apparently "Ol' Lonely" has
been meeting lots of new people -- if you know what I mean. :-p If
that brand makes your short list, I'd shoot the phrase Maytag
dishwasher repair through Google Groups and see where it takes you.

sd
sd

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
> running. But more than a grand.

It is possible to get into Miele for well less than a grand. The issue
with Miele and some other brands is if authorized service is available
in the area. Excellent reputation, though, and one of the very few
"20-year" dishwashers still being made.

> Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
> record.

Bosch _is_ quiet, and cleans well. They are not as bulletproof as the
Miele, if what I hear is any indication. Asko falls into the same
category. Curiously, both seem to have the genes to last 20 years, but
people still sometimes have problems with them. Actually, most of the
people I know with _recent_ Askos (myself included) have had very few
problems with them. The same cannot be said by those who bought 4-5
years ago. Asko does offer a three-year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty,
though. Bosch/Asko will start at around $600 and go up from there.

Be a little careful of Maytag. I participate in a few Internet forums
in which appliances are discussed, and apparently "Ol' Lonely" has
been meeting lots of new people -- if you know what I mean. :-p If
that brand makes your short list, I'd shoot the phrase Maytag
dishwasher repair through Google Groups and see where it takes you.

sd

Adam Finkelstein

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Doug Ventura > wrote:
>
>>I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
>>has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>>
>>Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

>Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
>running. But more than a grand.
>
>Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
>record.

Bosch reliability has improved. Buy one with a service agreement.
Less then Miele/Asko, and easier to obtain parts for if indeed a repair is
necessary.

Have had the mid-level one for eight months and it is quiet, and cleans
extremely well. Also looks good.
Good luck,
Adam

--
Adam Finkelstein
adamfATradixDOTnet
Adam Finkelstein

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Doug Ventura > wrote:
>
>>I could spend near a grand. Not looking for large, restaurant style...it
>>has to fit in the existing, standard footprint.
>>
>>Any references, comments or recommendations are appreciated.

>Hi. Some time back I had a Miele. It was so quiet you couldn't tell it was
>running. But more than a grand.
>
>Bosch are also probably very quiet. But they have a terrible reliability
>record.

Bosch reliability has improved. Buy one with a service agreement.
Less then Miele/Asko, and easier to obtain parts for if indeed a repair is
necessary.

Have had the mid-level one for eight months and it is quiet, and cleans
extremely well. Also looks good.
Good luck,
Adam

--
Adam Finkelstein
adamfATradixDOTnet
Edwin Pawlowski

"Adam Finkelstein" >

> Bosch reliability has improved. Buy one with a service agreement.

Not very good advice. How much is that service agreement going to cost over
the expected life of the machine?

My last DW lasted 20 years and had a repair of about $60. If I had bought
service agreements for the past 20 years at $50 (probably a low estimate) I
could have bought a new machine instead.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Adam Finkelstein" >

> Bosch reliability has improved. Buy one with a service agreement.

Not very good advice. How much is that service agreement going to cost over
the expected life of the machine?

My last DW lasted 20 years and had a repair of about $60. If I had bought
service agreements for the past 20 years at $50 (probably a low estimate) I
could have bought a new machine instead.

Don Wiss

On 5 Sep 2004 08:55:19 -0400, (Adam Finkelstein) wrote:

>Bosch reliability has improved. Buy one with a service agreement.
>Less then Miele/Asko, and easier to obtain parts for if indeed a repair is
>necessary.

Okay. So I logged into the Consumer Reports site and found their dishwasher
repair history. Miele not included as too few respondents to their annual
survey. Here in order of worst first, with my guess as to the percent.

Asko 20%
Bosch 15%
KitchenAid 11.5%
Frigidaire 11.4%
Jenn-Air 11%
Hotpoint 10.5%
GE Monogram 9.5%
GE 9.3%
Amana 9.2%
Maytag 9%
Kenmore(Sears) 7.5%
Whirlpool 6%

Their commentary:

You can minimize potential problems by choosing a reliable brand of
dishwasher. The chart illustrates the repair histories of 12 brands of
dishwashers bought new between 1998 and 2003. The rates represent the
percentage of models ever repaired or with a serious problem that wasn't
repaired. Asko has been the most repair-prone of these 12 brands. Bosch has
also been among the more repair-prone brands. Our brand repair histories
have been quite consistent over the years, but they aren't infallible
indicators. Repair rates for specific models may vary, and products can
change. Differences of less than 4 points are not meaningful.

Based on nearly 104,000 responses to our 2003 Annual Questionnaire. Data
have been standardized to eliminate differences linked to age and usage.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Cape Cod Bob

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:53:37 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

> So I logged into the Consumer Reports site and found their dishwasher
>repair history

Consumer Reports' surveys, like any voluntary survey, is barely worth
the paper they are printed on. Statistically valid analyses
continually show about a 6 to 1 ration of peoples' broadcasting
complaints versus compliments. Simplistically, those who are mad
bitch, those who are content, don't do very much.

Then we add in CR's readership, which is far from resembling any
reasonable picture of a valid census distribution, unless you are
trying to survey that postulation, what I would guess reflects a
rather narrow segment of the dishwasher-owner population.

I would further doubt that ownership by brand is even close to the
country-wide distribution.

Take their surveys with a grain of salt. And their best brand/model
choices with about 3 grains of salt. Closely examine their detailed
analyses of automobile comparisons for example. I all to often see US
car brands show better individual statistics than the CR-beloved
Honda/Toyota/Nissan and higher ended clones, yet the overall best
choices are almost never US brand cars. Does CR cheat? Is CR being
bribed by the Japanese? I would think neither. I'd guess it's
preconceived favoritism overweighing their own analyses.
_____
"How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for
those who are wise and of good will."
Albert Einstein
_____

Cape Cod Bob
Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
Delete the two "spam"s for email
Cape Cod Bob

wrote:

> So I logged into the Consumer Reports site and found their dishwasher
>repair history

Consumer Reports' surveys, like any voluntary survey, is barely worth
the paper they are printed on. Statistically valid analyses
continually show about a 6 to 1 ration of peoples' broadcasting
complaints versus compliments. Simplistically, those who are mad
bitch, those who are content, don't do very much.

Then we add in CR's readership, which is far from resembling any
reasonable picture of a valid census distribution, unless you are
trying to survey that postulation, what I would guess reflects a
rather narrow segment of the dishwasher-owner population.

I would further doubt that ownership by brand is even close to the
country-wide distribution.

Take their surveys with a grain of salt. And their best brand/model
choices with about 3 grains of salt. Closely examine their detailed
analyses of automobile comparisons for example. I all to often see US
car brands show better individual statistics than the CR-beloved
Honda/Toyota/Nissan and higher ended clones, yet the overall best
choices are almost never US brand cars. Does CR cheat? Is CR being
bribed by the Japanese? I would think neither. I'd guess it's
preconceived favoritism overweighing their own analyses.
_____
"How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for
those who are wise and of good will."
Albert Einstein
_____

Cape Cod Bob
Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
Delete the two "spam"s for email
Damaeus

In news:rec.food.equipment, "Edwin Pawlowski" > posted on Thu,
02 Sep 2004 23:45:28 GMT:

> Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid machines.
> Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got another KA. Does
> a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for the top of the line.

I'd like to get a commercial dishwasher -- one that'll wash and sanitize a
load of dishes in two minutes. Are there any such items for the home?

And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable. That
costs less than one of their stand mixers.

Damaeus

In news:rec.food.equipment, "Edwin Pawlowski" > posted on Thu,
02 Sep 2004 23:45:28 GMT:

> Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid machines.
> Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got another KA. Does
> a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for the top of the line.

I'd like to get a commercial dishwasher -- one that'll wash and sanitize a
load of dishes in two minutes. Are there any such items for the home?

And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable. That
costs less than one of their stand mixers.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable. That
> costs less than one of their stand mixers.

Yes, but I can only wash two dishes and a fork at the same time at that
price. For the model with two rack and capability for all the dishes, they
wanted $1,000.

Damned zeros. Can never find them when you need them.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable. That
> costs less than one of their stand mixers.

Yes, but I can only wash two dishes and a fork at the same time at that
price. For the model with two rack and capability for all the dishes, they
wanted $1,000.

Damned zeros. Can never find them when you need them.

Wayne

Damaeus > wrote in
:

> In news:rec.food.equipment, "Edwin Pawlowski" > posted on
> Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:45:28 GMT:
>
>> Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid
>> machines. Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got
>> another KA. Does a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for
>> the top of the line.

> I'd like to get a commercial dishwasher -- one that'll wash and
> sanitize a load of dishes in two minutes. Are there any such items
> for the home?

Not exactly, but Hobart does make a commercial under-counter style that
will do that, albeit, you will probably need a variety of removable racks
to handle different items. They just aren't built like domestic models.
You also need to plan space for a reservoir and pump that holds the
cleaning/sanitizing solution. I don't believe it fits under the unit.

> And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable.
> That costs less than one of their stand mixers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Damaeus > wrote in
:

> In news:rec.food.equipment, "Edwin Pawlowski" > posted on
> Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:45:28 GMT:
>
>> Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid
>> machines. Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got
>> another KA. Does a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for
>> the top of the line.

> I'd like to get a commercial dishwasher -- one that'll wash and
> sanitize a load of dishes in two minutes. Are there any such items
> for the home?

Not exactly, but Hobart does make a commercial under-counter style that
will do that, albeit, you will probably need a variety of removable racks
to handle different items. They just aren't built like domestic models.
You also need to plan space for a reservoir and pump that holds the
cleaning/sanitizing solution. I don't believe it fits under the unit.

> And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable.
> That costs less than one of their stand mixers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

Damaeus > wrote in
:

> In news:rec.food.equipment, "Edwin Pawlowski" > posted on
> Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:45:28 GMT:
>
>> Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid
>> machines. Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got
>> another KA. Does a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for
>> the top of the line.

> I'd like to get a commercial dishwasher -- one that'll wash and
> sanitize a load of dishes in two minutes. Are there any such items
> for the home?

Here's an example of a Hobart. A bit pricey at $3600.

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetail...0&sku=HOBLXIC5
&s=hobart+dishwashers+Undercounter&rn=1

> And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable.
> That costs less than one of their stand mixers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Damaeus > wrote in
:

> In news:rec.food.equipment, "Edwin Pawlowski" > posted on
> Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:45:28 GMT:
>
>> Over a period of many years, I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid
>> machines. Last one was 20 years old and was starting to go, so we got
>> another KA. Does a very good job of cleaning. Paid just over $100 for
>> the top of the line.

> I'd like to get a commercial dishwasher -- one that'll wash and
> sanitize a load of dishes in two minutes. Are there any such items
> for the home?

Here's an example of a Hobart. A bit pricey at $3600.

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetail...0&sku=HOBLXIC5
&s=hobart+dishwashers+Undercounter&rn=1

> And $100 for a Kitchen Aid dishwasher? That's fairly remarkable.
> That costs less than one of their stand mixers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Damaeus

In news:rec.food.equipment, Wayne > posted on Thu, 09
Sep 2004 03:54:23 GMT:

> Here's an example of a Hobart. A bit pricey at $3600.
>
> http://www.bigtray.com/productdetail...0&sku=HOBLXIC5
> &s=hobart+dishwashers+Undercounter&rn=1

Well, I guess when my ship comes in. I've seen it come in before, but it
usually sinks before it makes it to shore.

Damaeus