Fred

Default World's Best Chef Knife?

Well, I can't speak for the world but I can speak for myself and I consider
the best chef knife in the world to be the Masamoto VG-10 240mm gyuto.
What's that? Read on.

I've been a cutler for many years and have tested nearly any kitchen knife
you can name and many you haven't encountered. I've developed some sincere
preferences and I'll share them here.

Let me start by defining what I consider good in a chef knife. In the first
place, a good chef knife must be the right size and weight. If it is too
long it is hard to use the tip of the knife when occasions to use it arise.
If it is too short one has to deal with more hand movement than is necessary
to raise the heel far enough from the cutting board to clear the food being
cut. If the knife is too heavy it produces fatigue over a long time period
of use. If it is too light, it becomes harder to control.

The knife should have a thin, hard blade. Hard steel is capable of
sustaining a more acute bevel angle. That means hard steel lets the knife
be sharper without having the edge become deformed in use. Thin blades
reduce weight and that makes it easier for the manufacturer to balance the
knife.

What do I mean by balance? If you grasp the chef knife as you should with
the thumb and forefinger on the blade just in front of the bolster, it
should balance. Then you can wrap the remaining three fingers around the
handle and start chopping. If the knife is blade heavy there is more
fatigue involved in its use. If the knife is handle heavy it feels more
like a hammer held at the wrong end and is harder to control.

In order for a chef knife to balance properly, it needs to have weight added
to the typical handle. This is usually done with a bolster which is thick
piece of steel located where the handle and blade meet. Full bolsters, like
most forged knives have, do the job of balancing but get in the way of
maintaining the edge by blocking the sharpening equipment from the heel of
the blade. Most European knives have blades that are too soft and heavy to
get by with a half bolster, so they have full bolsters. Personally, I am no
longer willing to use a knife with full bolsters. It isn't worth the
hassle.

Ergonomically, I like roomy handles without any of those "ergonomic" bumps
designed to fit some hand other than mine.

OK, so I want a chef knife with a thin, hard blade that balances perfectly
with only a half bolster and I want it to have a roomy, comfortable handle.
Oh yes, it has to be the right size and weight. The knives that meet those
requirements are, with only a couple of of exceptions, all made in Japan and
are called gyutos which is the Japanese term for Western style chef knives.
I have just completed a fairly extensive series of tests and reviews of
Japanese gyutos and I've decided I like one called the Masamoto VG-10 240mm
gyuto.

This knife has a fairly light 9 1/2" blade. In the old days, before
Japanese knives, I preferred 8" chef knives mostly because the 10" ones felt
heavy and bulky to me. I found them hard to maneuver. This Masamoto gyuto
weighs in at only 8 1/2 ounces. That's less than a typical forged 8" chef
knife. That gives me the extra length that saves work lifting the heel of
the knife and still feels quite light and maneuverable. The handle is made
of resin impregnated laminated hardwood scales. In other words it is a
combination of wood and plastic riveted to the full tang of the blade. The
handle is roomy and smooth so can grasp it in virtually any grip and be
comfortable.

The blade is made of VG-10 which is one of the "wonder steels." It can be
hardened to around RC 60-61 which is way harder than the typical Henckels,
Wusthof etc. That allows the thin blade and the acute bevel angle. The
bevels actually came with a convex bevel on the outside of the blade that
was about 3 times the size of the flat inside bevel. In time that's been
adjusted with my sharpening and the knife now has flat bevels on both sides.
I use a bevel angle of about 15 degrees or so. In other words this knife
cuts like crazy and the edge stays together through all of it.

Yes balance is perfect and blade maintenance is a breeze thanks to the half
bolstered design. In short this knife meets all of my criteria and does so
better than any other Japanese gyuto I've tested and I've tested most of the
gyutos available in the U.S.

Masamoto is a company that has been hand forging traditional Japanese knives
of high quality in Sakai, Japan for hundreds of years. Their traditional
yanagis and usubas are world famous among Asian chefs for their high level
of both performance and fit and finish. They are relatively new to making
Western style knives and this new VG-10 model is nothing short of
spectacular any way you wish to define it. It is no wonder to me that it is
a famed company like Masamoto that has reached this level of excellence in a
chef knife. For me, it is the best of the best.

This knife sells for a little over $200 at http://www.japanese-knife.com and
that is where I acquired mine. So that's where to go, if you want to try
one for yourself. You can see an image of the knife at
http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/eb...amotogyuto.jpg. If you'd like to
read a comparative review of several gyutos, including this one, you can
find it at the URL after my name in the cutlery forum. Good cooking.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Larry

"Fred" > wrote:

>Yes balance is perfect and blade maintenance is a breeze thanks to the half
>bolstered design. In short this knife meets all of my criteria and does so
>better than any other Japanese gyuto I've tested and I've tested most of the
>gyutos available in the U.S.

Have you tested the Nenox? If so, how did it fall short of the
Masamoto?

Thanks -- Larry

Larry

"Fred" > wrote:

>Yes balance is perfect and blade maintenance is a breeze thanks to the half
>bolstered design. In short this knife meets all of my criteria and does so
>better than any other Japanese gyuto I've tested and I've tested most of the
>gyutos available in the U.S.

Have you tested the Nenox? If so, how did it fall short of the
Masamoto?

Thanks -- Larry

Noeta

"Fresh Monniker" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >If you grasp the chef knife as you should with
> >the thumb and forefinger on the blade just in front of the bolster, it
> >should balance. Then you can wrap the remaining three fingers around the
> >handle and start chopping.

> Some would say that if you need to do this, your knife is too long, or
> too forward-weighted, or you need stronger wrists. Others disagree.
>
> The best knife is the one that fits comfortably.
>
> The only false statement on the subject is that there is a "best
> knife" for everyone.

Easy! The best chef's knife in the world is....(drum roll)... the one I
picked for me to use!

Noeta

"Fresh Monniker" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >If you grasp the chef knife as you should with
> >the thumb and forefinger on the blade just in front of the bolster, it
> >should balance. Then you can wrap the remaining three fingers around the
> >handle and start chopping.

> Some would say that if you need to do this, your knife is too long, or
> too forward-weighted, or you need stronger wrists. Others disagree.
>
> The best knife is the one that fits comfortably.
>
> The only false statement on the subject is that there is a "best
> knife" for everyone.

Easy! The best chef's knife in the world is....(drum roll)... the one I
picked for me to use!

Jeffrey Dunnam

Fred,

Perhaps you can answer this question for me. In checking out the link to
this knife and other knives at http://www.japanese-knife.com, even with the
"western style" knives, they say that left-handed models must be specially
ordered. Being a double sided bevel as opposed to traditional japanese
knives that are single bevel, why is there a big difference between a left
and right handed knife? I have Korin's video in which they point out that
even the western style knives are not sharpened equally like a European
style knife. HOWEVER, could the knife not just be rebeveled so the side that
is sharpened more is on the back of the knife? As a lefty, these Japanese
gyutos, pricey already become prohibitively so if I have to factor in
another 50% for a lefty model.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS Love your cutlery forum!

"Fred" > wrote in message
> [...]

> of both performance and fit and finish. They are relatively new to making
> Western style knives and this new VG-10 model is nothing short of
> spectacular any way you wish to define it. It is no wonder to me that it

is
> a famed company like Masamoto that has reached this level of excellence in

> chef knife. For me, it is the best of the best.
>
> This knife sells for a little over $200 at http://www.japanese-knife.com

and
> that is where I acquired mine. So that's where to go, if you want to try
> one for yourself. You can see an image of the knife at
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/eb...amotogyuto.jpg. If you'd like

> read a comparative review of several gyutos, including this one, you can
> find it at the URL after my name in the cutlery forum. Good cooking.

Jeffrey Dunnam

"Fred" > wrote in message
> [...]

> of both performance and fit and finish. They are relatively new to making
> Western style knives and this new VG-10 model is nothing short of
> spectacular any way you wish to define it. It is no wonder to me that it

is
> a famed company like Masamoto that has reached this level of excellence in

> chef knife. For me, it is the best of the best.
>
> This knife sells for a little over $200 at http://www.japanese-knife.com

and
> that is where I acquired mine. So that's where to go, if you want to try
> one for yourself. You can see an image of the knife at
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/eb...amotogyuto.jpg. If you'd like

> read a comparative review of several gyutos, including this one, you can
> find it at the URL after my name in the cutlery forum. Good cooking.

FMW

"Jeffrey Dunnam" > wrote in message
. net...
> [...]

> > Western style knives and this new VG-10 model is nothing short of
> > spectacular any way you wish to define it. It is no wonder to me that

it
> is
> > a famed company like Masamoto that has reached this level of excellence

in
> > chef knife. For me, it is the best of the best.
> >
> > This knife sells for a little over $200 at http://www.japanese-knife.com

> and
> > that is where I acquired mine. So that's where to go, if you want to

try
> > one for yourself. You can see an image of the knife at
> > http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/eb...amotogyuto.jpg. If you'd like

> > read a comparative review of several gyutos, including this one, you can
> > find it at the URL after my name in the cutlery forum. Good cooking.

Yes, it is typical for Japanese gyutos to have 79-80% of the grinding done
on the outside of the blade with the balance on the inside. As you know,
traditional Japanese knives are single bevel - 100% of the bevel on the
outside and none on the inside. I assume the practice of unequal bevels
relates back to that.

Of course, you can reprofile the bevels any way you like. All you have to
give up is a little steel. I've ground a few of them to 50/50 to see how
they perform and they perform just fine, thank you.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

FMW

> [...]

> > http://www.knifeoutlet.com/images/eb...amotogyuto.jpg. If you'd like

> > read a comparative review of several gyutos, including this one, you can
> > find it at the URL after my name in the cutlery forum. Good cooking.
> >
> > Fred
> > Foodie Forums
> > http://www.foodieforums.com

Yes, it is typical for Japanese gyutos to have 79-80% of the grinding done
on the outside of the blade with the balance on the inside. As you know,
traditional Japanese knives are single bevel - 100% of the bevel on the
outside and none on the inside. I assume the practice of unequal bevels
relates back to that.

Of course, you can reprofile the bevels any way you like. All you have to
give up is a little steel. I've ground a few of them to 50/50 to see how
they perform and they perform just fine, thank you.

FMW

"Fresh Monniker" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >If you grasp the chef knife as you should with
> >the thumb and forefinger on the blade just in front of the bolster, it
> >should balance. Then you can wrap the remaining three fingers around the
> >handle and start chopping.

> Some would say that if you need to do this, your knife is too long, or
> too forward-weighted, or you need stronger wrists. Others disagree.

About every chef on the planet grips chef knives this way and 100% of the
culinary schools teach it. I teach it in my knife skills classes. The
reason is that it is less fatiguing - something that isn't a huge issue with
home cooks. Those that disagree with it are in a minority to be sure.

> The best knife is the one that fits comfortably.

No question about that.

> The only false statement on the subject is that there is a "best
> knife" for everyone.

That's true but I have yet to encounter a professional chef or cook that
doesn't perform better with and prefer a Japanese gyuto over a European chef
knife after getting accustomed to it. The best one for me may not be the
best one for you, but I might be willing to bet that you'd prefer some
Japanese gyuto to a chef knife made anywhere else. The time required to get
accustomed to a light, hard, thin blade is amazingly short. Take care.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

FMW

"Fresh Monniker" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >If you grasp the chef knife as you should with
> >the thumb and forefinger on the blade just in front of the bolster, it
> >should balance. Then you can wrap the remaining three fingers around the
> >handle and start chopping.

> Some would say that if you need to do this, your knife is too long, or
> too forward-weighted, or you need stronger wrists. Others disagree.

About every chef on the planet grips chef knives this way and 100% of the
culinary schools teach it. I teach it in my knife skills classes. The
reason is that it is less fatiguing - something that isn't a huge issue with
home cooks. Those that disagree with it are in a minority to be sure.

> The best knife is the one that fits comfortably.

No question about that.

> The only false statement on the subject is that there is a "best
> knife" for everyone.

That's true but I have yet to encounter a professional chef or cook that
doesn't perform better with and prefer a Japanese gyuto over a European chef
knife after getting accustomed to it. The best one for me may not be the
best one for you, but I might be willing to bet that you'd prefer some
Japanese gyuto to a chef knife made anywhere else. The time required to get
accustomed to a light, hard, thin blade is amazingly short. Take care.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

FMW

"Larry" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >Yes balance is perfect and blade maintenance is a breeze thanks to the

half
> >bolstered design. In short this knife meets all of my criteria and does

so
> >better than any other Japanese gyuto I've tested and I've tested most of

the
> >gyutos available in the U.S.

> Have you tested the Nenox? If so, how did it fall short of the
> Masamoto?
>
> Thanks -- Larry

The Nenox had two problems for me. The first was that it was handle heavy -
not terribly handle heavy but a knife at that price should be right on the
money like most Japanese gyutos. The second problem is the "ergonomic bump"
designed into the handle. That bump was designed for a hand other than
mine. When I grasp the knife normally, my little finger falls right on the
bump. To get than handle to feel comfortable I'd have to grasp the knife
right on the bolster. I just don't do that. I could accept these
characteristics in a $100 knife but not one that sells for over $300. So,
for me, the Masamoto is superior - and cheaper. Good cooking.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

FMW

"Larry" > wrote in message
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
> >Yes balance is perfect and blade maintenance is a breeze thanks to the

half
> >bolstered design. In short this knife meets all of my criteria and does

so
> >better than any other Japanese gyuto I've tested and I've tested most of

the
> >gyutos available in the U.S.

> Have you tested the Nenox? If so, how did it fall short of the
> Masamoto?
>
> Thanks -- Larry

The Nenox had two problems for me. The first was that it was handle heavy -
not terribly handle heavy but a knife at that price should be right on the
money like most Japanese gyutos. The second problem is the "ergonomic bump"
designed into the handle. That bump was designed for a hand other than
mine. When I grasp the knife normally, my little finger falls right on the
bump. To get than handle to feel comfortable I'd have to grasp the knife
right on the bolster. I just don't do that. I could accept these
characteristics in a $100 knife but not one that sells for over $300. So,
for me, the Masamoto is superior - and cheaper. Good cooking.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Jeffrey Dunnam" > wrote in message

> I have Korin's video in which they point out that
>> even the western style knives are not sharpened equally like a European
>> style knife. HOWEVER, could the knife not just be rebeveled so the side

> that
>> is sharpened more is on the back of the knife?

Sure, if you know what you are doing. In the wrong hands the temper of the
blade could be ruined on a grinding wheel. Looks like you'd lose a lot of
the blade width also. That would make the knife handle differently.

A agree about paying 50% being to much, more but I'd rather pay the money or
pass on the knife rather than screw up what should be a great knife and
reduce it to mediocre.

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Jeffrey Dunnam" > wrote in message

> I have Korin's video in which they point out that
>> even the western style knives are not sharpened equally like a European
>> style knife. HOWEVER, could the knife not just be rebeveled so the side

> that
>> is sharpened more is on the back of the knife?

Sure, if you know what you are doing. In the wrong hands the temper of the
blade could be ruined on a grinding wheel. Looks like you'd lose a lot of
the blade width also. That would make the knife handle differently.

A agree about paying 50% being to much, more but I'd rather pay the money or
pass on the knife rather than screw up what should be a great knife and
reduce it to mediocre.

FMW

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...
> > "Jeffrey Dunnam" > wrote in message

> > I have Korin's video in which they point out that
> >> even the western style knives are not sharpened equally like a European
> >> style knife. HOWEVER, could the knife not just be rebeveled so the side

> > that
> >> is sharpened more is on the back of the knife?

> Sure, if you know what you are doing. In the wrong hands the temper of

the
> blade could be ruined on a grinding wheel. Looks like you'd lose a lot of
> the blade width also. That would make the knife handle differently.
>
> A agree about paying 50% being to much, more but I'd rather pay the money

or
> pass on the knife rather than screw up what should be a great knife and
> reduce it to mediocre.

This kind of grinding should be done on whetstones.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

FMW

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...
> > "Jeffrey Dunnam" > wrote in message

> > I have Korin's video in which they point out that
> >> even the western style knives are not sharpened equally like a European
> >> style knife. HOWEVER, could the knife not just be rebeveled so the side

> > that
> >> is sharpened more is on the back of the knife?

> Sure, if you know what you are doing. In the wrong hands the temper of

the
> blade could be ruined on a grinding wheel. Looks like you'd lose a lot of
> the blade width also. That would make the knife handle differently.
>
> A agree about paying 50% being to much, more but I'd rather pay the money

or
> pass on the knife rather than screw up what should be a great knife and
> reduce it to mediocre.

This kind of grinding should be done on whetstones.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Looking for chef's knife recommendations spamtrap1888 General Cooking 90 06-12-2011 12:05 PM
chef's knife elaine General Cooking 6 20-11-2004 06:43 AM
Chef's knife question scyld General Cooking 40 26-03-2004 04:16 PM
Chef's knife question scyld Cooking Equipment 5 15-03-2004 04:00 PM
Chef's knife question scyld Barbecue 26 15-03-2004 04:00 PM