Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

Old 16-08-2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.

All suggestions considered.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Eggs Benedict is genius. Its eggs covered in eggs. I mean, come on,

Old 16-08-2009, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
|I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
| operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
| prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.
|
| All suggestions considered.
|
| Thanks!

Prosaic but true, I believe that the best can opener is the one
that many of us grew up with, the ultra-dependable Swingaway.
Either wall mount, which one Amazon reviewer described as a
"silent piece of perfection," or the non-wall mount that goes
into a drawer between uses. Either way, one of the finest
kitchen products ever made, IMO, and it hasn't been
cheapened over the years. And it is under $12.

http://tinyurl.com/mgt6z8

pavane

Old 16-08-2009, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article ,
Susan wrote:

I am seriously considering trading up from my Swingaway to this one for
hygiene, comfort and safety reasons. I like all my OXO products so far,
not any complaints.
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=198946

I had a Krupps electric version of one of these. They are so-so. Not
all cans are workable with these things. When they work, they are
incredible. But I used too many brands that didn't work. Those ended
up being more trouble with a regular can opener after the edgeless
didn't work. If you try one, make sure you are a return period to try
it out, and return it if it doesn't work out for you.

jt
Old 16-08-2009, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 7,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.

All suggestions considered.

Thanks!

I have a swing-away that I got when I worked for the machine shop that
made the blades and gear for swing-away. That was 11 year ago. Since
then, the company owner has passed on, and his widow sold the company.
I understand that it is now made in China, and not so good anymore. I
wash my "vintage" swign-away in the dishwasher, no problem. If you can
find one used and verify it is 6 years old or more, then it is the
older, made in the USA ones, and those will last.

jt
Old 16-08-2009, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" wrote in message
| In article 7,
| Wayne Boatwright wrote:
|
| I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
| operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
| prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.
|
| All suggestions considered.
|
| Thanks!
|
| I have a swing-away that I got when I worked for the machine shop that
| made the blades and gear for swing-away. That was 11 year ago. Since
| then, the company owner has passed on, and his widow sold the company.
| I understand that it is now made in China, and not so good anymore. I
| wash my "vintage" swign-away in the dishwasher, no problem. If you can
| find one used and verify it is 6 years old or more, then it is the
| older, made in the USA ones, and those will last.

Mine is about 10 years old and is USA made. I just rinse it in water after
use, dabbing it with a sponge if the opening proves messy. But I can
see the China origin as being an issue, however, I believe all OXO stuff
is made in China. Who knows, my feeling would be that if you can find
a Made in USA Swingaway you should grab it.

pavane

Old 16-08-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article ,
"pavane" wrote:

Mine is about 10 years old and is USA made. I just rinse it in water after
use, dabbing it with a sponge if the opening proves messy. But I can
see the China origin as being an issue, however, I believe all OXO stuff
is made in China. Who knows, my feeling would be that if you can find
a Made in USA Swingaway you should grab it.

I'm not trying to pass judgement about Made in China in general, but I
know what has changed in Swing-Away can openers now that they are china
made. A cheaper grade of stainless that can corrode, looser tolerances
that can allow shafts to float too much, matter to wedge into places it
shouldn't which leads to abnormal pressures and causes abnormal wear and
play, and the gap between the drive gear wheel and the blade can vary to
where either the two are too close together, and you have to force the
can opener into the engage position, or too far apart, and the grip
isn't right and the can doesn't turn. Due to sloppy tolerances, these
newer units tear themselves apart quickly sometimes, other times they
last and last, but the consistency people expect isn't there any more.
It was about six years ago that the owner passed away, and it was less
than a year after that the widow sold company, and the new owners
quickly moved production. The old owner had operated for years with his
suppliers, including Jack Steuby, the owner of the company I worked for,
with simple hand shakes. With no contracts in place, it was a chaos the
new owners wanted cleaned quickly. And their new policies lead to the
old suppliers asking higher prices, so the newbies took the supply side
overseas. The cheapened production has lead to a poor quality can
opener. Based on comments I have head in the last three years, I will
stick with pre-2003 made Swing-Aways only. And I am satisfied with the
1997 made unit I have.

jt
Old 16-08-2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "pavane" wrote:
|
| Mine is about 10 years old and is USA made. I just rinse it in water after
| use, dabbing it with a sponge if the opening proves messy. But I can
| see the China origin as being an issue, however, I believe all OXO stuff
| is made in China. Who knows, my feeling would be that if you can find
| a Made in USA Swingaway you should grab it.
|
| I'm not trying to pass judgement about Made in China in general, but I
| know what has changed in Swing-Away can openers now that they are china
| made. A cheaper grade of stainless that can corrode, looser tolerances
| that can allow shafts to float too much, matter to wedge into places it
| shouldn't which leads to abnormal pressures and causes abnormal wear and
| play, and the gap between the drive gear wheel and the blade can vary to
| where either the two are too close together, and you have to force the
| can opener into the engage position, or too far apart, and the grip
| isn't right and the can doesn't turn. Due to sloppy tolerances, these
| newer units tear themselves apart quickly sometimes, other times they
| last and last, but the consistency people expect isn't there any more.
| It was about six years ago that the owner passed away, and it was less
| than a year after that the widow sold company, and the new owners
| quickly moved production. The old owner had operated for years with his
| suppliers, including Jack Steuby, the owner of the company I worked for,
| with simple hand shakes. With no contracts in place, it was a chaos the
| new owners wanted cleaned quickly. And their new policies lead to the
| old suppliers asking higher prices, so the newbies took the supply side
| overseas. The cheapened production has lead to a poor quality can
| opener. Based on comments I have head in the last three years, I will
| stick with pre-2003 made Swing-Aways only. And I am satisfied with the
| 1997 made unit I have.

I appreciate the information, and as you am very sorry to hear this.

Old 17-08-2009, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.

All suggestions considered.

I personally would just go with the Swingaway - even if (as some in this
thread allege) the current models won't last as long as the old ones. I
toss mine in the dishwasher all the time, so I'm not concerned about its
cleanliness. Yes, the cutting wheel eventually rusts - I generally get
2 or 3 years from one before the damage to the cutting wheel makes it
problematic. But a new opener is only $6 at Publix (my local
supermarket), and I prefer the convenience - I would be more concerned
about caring for an opener that cost 4-5 times as much (and won't last
4-5 times as long).
Old 17-08-2009, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:52:02 -0500, jt august wrote:

In article ,
Susan wrote:

I am seriously considering trading up from my Swingaway to this one for
hygiene, comfort and safety reasons. I like all my OXO products so far,
not any complaints.
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=198946

I had a Krupps electric version of one of these. They are so-so. Not
all cans are workable with these things. When they work, they are
incredible. But I used too many brands that didn't work. Those ended
up being more trouble with a regular can opener after the edgeless
didn't work. If you try one, make sure you are a return period to try
it out, and return it if it doesn't work out for you.

That was our experience too, to a "T". Maybe Oxo has perfected the conecpt, but
I'd like to hear it confirmed here before I buy one.

-- Larry
Old 17-08-2009, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or
battery
operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.

All suggestions considered.

Thanks!

Not sure of the brand we have, but it is a hand turned job that you clamp on
and then turn the handle to open the can. About $10 and can go in the
dishwasher. Just be sure to get one with a good sized handle, not the
really cheap model.

Old 17-08-2009, 05:52 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" wrote in message
"pavane" wrote:

[...]

Soon to be announced, the "new and improved" version of the Swing-away. At
only a slightly higher (3x) price.

Old 17-08-2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
|I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
| operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
| prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.
|
| All suggestions considered.

I just looked for reviews of manual can openers. Pretty much
what we have said so far:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/357934
http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...can-opener.php

Wayne, did you ever tell us what you are replacing and why?

pavane

Old 17-08-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 17 Aug 2009 06:50:50a, pavane told us...

what we have said so far:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/357934
http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...can-opener.php

Wayne, did you ever tell us what you are replacing and why?

pavane

I'm replacing a Swing-a-Way which is probably 12-15 years old. It often
mis-tracks on the can now and becomes frustrating.

Given all the comments, both fore and against, I think I will still get
another Swing-a-Way.

Thanks to all for your comments, references, and recommendations!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Life goes faster on protein. Martin H. Fischer

Old 17-08-2009, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

When I bought the above product, it was $29.95, and it might have been
on sale.

Here are some reviews for your item, too:

http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/Ros...pener_44796019

I ditto all you've said above; I hate the food contact and the rust.

Susan

Thanks for linking the epinions to read. I enjoyed them; particularly
this helpful comment (snipped):

"I.... This is an odd device for sure, and a bit less than intuitive. The
right way to use is to place the guide bar flat on the can top. Then (here
comes the less-than intuitive part) turn the crank about 1/4 turn
backwards (to engage the opener with the lid seam), and THEN turn the
handle forward to open the lid. Then back a 1/4 turn to disengage."

Dee Dee

I had an ancient swingaway die on me last year, and picked up a new one. It
only lasted 4 or 5 months. Picked up a succession on manual models from
various places, most of which could not do the most basic function it was
designed for, to open a stinkin' can.

I did some research (just on Amazon) and gave the Kuhn Rikon a try (see link
below).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

This took me a while to get used to (I actually had to RTFM to figure it
out. Hurt my feelings.) It's worked fine in the four months I've had it. I
haven't run into a can it wouldn't open but I probably haven't tried hard
enough.

Jon

Old 21-08-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:36:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.

All suggestions considered.

Good Grips. Unless they cheapened up the construction like they
have with many of their tools over the years.

-sw