Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default How to use a dishwasher

"Tom Adams" > wrote in message
> Rule # 1: Don't read the user manual. If you read and follow the
> user manual, you will have to think while you load it, and you won't
> be able to put nearly as many dishes in it.
>
> Rule #2: Rinse your dishes in the sink before you put them in the
> dishwasher. This will make them appear to be clean after you have
> incorrectly loaded your dishwasher, causing it to fail to wash your
> dishes.
>
> Rule #3: Don't wash fine glassware in your dishwasher, since you
> don't know that you should fill the detergent cups 1/3 full if you
> have soft water, and you probably have soft water. (Actually, all
> your everyday glassware has been etched by excessive detergent: be
> sure not to examine it.)
>
> Rule #4: Cram as many dishes as you can in there. But if you are not
> inclined to to this, don't worry. Since you never learned how to load
> it, it won't wash your dishes even if you don't cram as many as you
> can in it.

One thing I will defend about the dishwasher is the ability to wash grease
clean, from a baking dish to a frying pan or a drip pan or roasting pan.
Dishwashers can save lots of water after a big meal.

We don't rinse dishes for our dishwasher but we never fully load our dw, and
run it 3/4 full. Our dishwasher is smaller and has fewer jets than most
others so filling up the tub might not be best idea for clean dishes. To
save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry instead of dw dryer.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

The Henchman wrote:

> for clean dishes. To save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry
> instead of dw dryer.

I think that's a total waste of resources, however you want
to put it. I never use heated dry.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Henchman" > wrote:

> One thing I will defend about the dishwasher is the ability to wash grease
> clean, from a baking dish to a frying pan or a drip pan or roasting pan.
> Dishwashers can save lots of water after a big meal.

But hard anodized aluminum, most (realy all, despite what some
manufacturers claim) non-sticks, all cast iron (even coated) and many
coated surface pans, as well as any stainless for which the appearance
is important, should not be put in the dishwasher. Not only can the
ionized water (result of how hater is heated in most dishwashers) effect
and/or negate the finishing processes of manufacturing cookware, but the
caustic detergent that can etch glass and crystal can also do major
chemical damage to many of these pots and pans.

jt
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> The Henchman wrote:
>
>> for clean dishes. To save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry
>> instead of dw dryer.

> I think that's a total waste of resources, however you want to put it. I
> never use heated dry.

I bet you use your clothes dryer instead of hanging your laundry to dry... I
bet you sometimes use your clothes dryer to dry just a couple items,
everyone does. The clothes dryer is probably the single appliance that
folks MISuse that wastes the most energy.... the vacuum cleaner is a close
runner up.

Perhaps you don't mind waking up in the morning to a dishwasher filled with
wet dishes, but I don't want to start wiping dishes first thing in the
morning before being able to put them away and I don't want to wait half the
day with the dishwasher door open for the dishes to air dry and having to
stack up dirty dishes because those in the machine are still wet, really
negates the utility of owning a dishwasher. There's a big difference
between energy consumed with "heated dry" or "sanitize"... "heated dry" uses
a very small portion of the total energy used to run a dishwasher, less than
using a hair dryer for 5 minutes... "sanitize" is what's a total waste of
resources. The "heated dry" cycle is half the reason to own a dishwasher.
There are many ways that people truly waste electric, and that they are
oblivious to, the dishwasher "heated dry" cycle is not one of them... anyone
who cooks with an electric stove is absolutely wasting fully 25% of their
yearly electric bill... cooking with gas costs 4-6 times less. Not using
the "heated dry" function is a false economy. Now if only someone can
invent a dishwasher that washes, dries, and put dishes away... some
commercial establishments have such a system... removable racks that are
stored on carts.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

jt august wrote:
> In article >,
> "The Henchman" > wrote:
>
>> One thing I will defend about the dishwasher is the ability to wash
>> grease clean, from a baking dish to a frying pan or a drip pan or
>> roasting pan. Dishwashers can save lots of water after a big meal.

> But hard anodized aluminum, most (realy all, despite what some
> manufacturers claim) non-sticks, all cast iron (even coated) and many
> coated surface pans, as well as any stainless for which the appearance
> is important, should not be put in the dishwasher. Not only can the
> ionized water (result of how hater is heated in most dishwashers)
> effect and/or negate the finishing processes of manufacturing
> cookware, but the caustic detergent that can etch glass and crystal
> can also do major chemical damage to many of these pots and pans.

Stainless works fine. So does quite a bit of cast iron too.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> The Henchman wrote:
>
> > for clean dishes. To save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry
> > instead of dw dryer.

> I think that's a total waste of resources, however you want
> to put it. I never use heated dry.

This is the same argument that applies to using a clothes dryer - it takes a
certain amount of heat to evaporate a given volume of water. The water
doesn't care what generated the heat. During the heating season, that heat
is going to come either from the dishwasher heating element or from the
furnace, but either way you're going to pay for the heat. It may be
marginally cheaper to use the furnace, if you have an up to date high
efficiency furnace, but not enough to notice.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> The Henchman wrote:
>>
>>> for clean dishes. To save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry
>>> instead of dw dryer.

>> I think that's a total waste of resources, however you want
>> to put it. I never use heated dry.
>>

> This is the same argument that applies to using a clothes dryer - it
> takes a certain amount of heat to evaporate a given volume of water.
> The water doesn't care what generated the heat. During the heating
> season, that heat is going to come either from the dishwasher heating
> element or from the furnace, but either way you're going to pay for
> the heat. It may be marginally cheaper to use the furnace, if you
> have an up to date high efficiency furnace, but not enough to notice.

? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running
or not. As a matter of fact, the dishwasher is closed so I don't think
the furnace heat has any affect on the dishes one way or another.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running or not.
> As a matter of fact, the dishwasher is closed so I don't think
> the furnace heat has any affect on the dishes one way or another.

Other way around. The heat you call wasted goes into the living space and
helps to heat it. It may be wasted in summer, but during heating season, it
is not wasted at all. It just helps to heat the house, as does the TV,
computer, light bulbs, etc.

The difference it the cost of electricity versus the fuel of your furnace.
If you dry the dishes on the heat cycle, the furnace runs a bit less.

I like the way my dishes come out so I just hit the buttons and let it go.
Perfect every time, never a spot.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"jt august" > wrote in message
> But hard anodized aluminum, most (realy all, despite what some
> manufacturers claim) non-sticks, all cast iron (even coated) and many
> coated surface pans, as well as any stainless for which the appearance
> is important, should not be put in the dishwasher. Not only can the
> ionized water (result of how hater is heated in most dishwashers) effect
> and/or negate the finishing processes of manufacturing cookware, but the
> caustic detergent that can etch glass and crystal can also do major
> chemical damage to many of these pots and pans.
>
> jt

If you want the SS pots and pans to have a nice shine, use Green Works dish
detergent, made by Clorox. As a detergent, I'd rate it a "B", but for
cleaning the pans, I give it "A+" It does a terrific job on both aluminum
and SS.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running or
>> not. As a matter of fact, the dishwasher is closed so I don't think
>> the furnace heat has any affect on the dishes one way or another.

> Other way around. The heat you call wasted goes into the living
> space and helps to heat it. It may be wasted in summer, but during
> heating season, it is not wasted at all. It just helps to heat the
> house, as does the TV, computer, light bulbs, etc.
>
> The difference it the cost of electricity versus the fuel of your
> furnace. If you dry the dishes on the heat cycle, the furnace runs a
> bit less.

Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't gain
anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by themselves.

nancy

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't gain
> anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by themselves.
>
> nancy

You still gain heat. It has to go someplace and the furnace just runs a
tiny bit less in the AM. Instead of the temperature falling overnight to 62
degrees, it will only fall to 62.1 degrees. In the summer, if you run AC,
you have to remove that heat so it is a waste then. As long as you like the
way the dishes come out, no reason to change.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
>> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't
>> gain anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by
>> themselves.

> You still gain heat. It has to go someplace and the furnace just
> runs a tiny bit less in the AM. Instead of the temperature falling
> overnight to 62 degrees, it will only fall to 62.1 degrees.

Try low 50s. And I think any heat will have dissappated to the
cathedral ceilings between 2am and 7, but I understand we're not
talking about my house or my dishwashing timing.

> In the
> summer, if you run AC, you have to remove that heat so it is a waste
> then. As long as you like the way the dishes come out, no reason to
> change.

Of course. And if people find it cost effective to use the electric
heating coil to dry their dishes and thus heat their home, who am I to
argue. I'll make biscuits or something in the kitchen in the morning to
warm it up using the oven.

nance
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>>> The water doesn't care what generated the heat. During the heating
>>> season, that heat is going to come either from the dishwasher
>>> heating element or from the furnace, but either way you're going to
>>> pay for the heat. It may be marginally cheaper to use the furnace,
>>> if you have an up to date high efficiency furnace, but not enough
>>> to notice.

>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running
>> or not.

> The furnace heats the house. The heat in the house is used to
> evaporate the water.

The fact that the water the dishes were washed in is super hot
makes it just evaporate. This is why they also dry themselves in
the summer when the heat isn't on ... or the A/C.

Geez, when I take my dishes out of the cabinets on that same
wall in the winter, they are freezing cold because I didn't think
to have them replace the insulation when I replaced the kitchen.
If the heat isn't forcing itself into my kitchen cabinets, I sincerely
doubt it's pushing past the hot air leaking from the dishwasher
to dry them.

Regardless, I don't see the worth to using the electric heating
coil in my dishwasher to gain warmth in the house, but to each
their own.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running or
>>> not. As a matter of fact, the dishwasher is closed so I don't think
>>> the furnace heat has any affect on the dishes one way or another.

>> Other way around. The heat you call wasted goes into the living
>> space and helps to heat it. It may be wasted in summer, but during
>> heating season, it is not wasted at all. It just helps to heat the
>> house, as does the TV, computer, light bulbs, etc.
>>
>> The difference it the cost of electricity versus the fuel of your
>> furnace. If you dry the dishes on the heat cycle, the furnace runs a
>> bit less.

> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't gain
> anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by themselves.

Yeah, but... they don't begin to dry until you get up in the morning and
open the dishwasher door... and then it still takes 3-4 hours to air dry...
so any dishes used that morning need to be stacked in the sink, or
somewhere. It's really false economy not to use the heated dry... the
machine is already hot inside from it's normal run, it still uses the blower
motor but without the heater... adding the heater at that point costs like
what it costs to run your bread toaster 3-4 times... the energy used to run
the heated dry cycles cost like 5% of the total cost of running the
dishwasher... not using the heated dry cycle to save energy is like saving
energy by using your TV/PC without audio.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
>> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't
>> gain anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by
>> themselves.
>>

> Yeah, but... they don't begin to dry until you get up in the morning
> and open the dishwasher door...

The dishes are totally dry in the morning, save the occasional
mis-loaded bowl or cup that traps water in the upturned bottom.

nancy

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> > The water doesn't care what generated the heat. During the heating
>> > season, that heat is going to come either from the dishwasher heating
>> > element or from the furnace, but either way you're going to pay for
>> > the heat. It may be marginally cheaper to use the furnace, if you
>> > have an up to date high efficiency furnace, but not enough to notice.

>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running
>> or not.

> The furnace heats the house. The heat in the house is used to evaporate
> the water.
>
> The house heat that is used up by evaporating the water needs to be
> replaced. Where does it come from? The furnace.

This is true, there's no free lunch... you can't use the same energy twice.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running
>>> or not.

>> The furnace heats the house. The heat in the house is used to
>> evaporate the water.

> The fact that the water the dishes were washed in is super hot makes it
> just evaporate. This is why they also dry themselves in the summer when
> the heat isn't on ... or the A/C.
>
> Geez, when I take my dishes out of the cabinets on that same
> wall in the winter, they are freezing cold because I didn't think to have
> them replace the insulation when I replaced the kitchen.

Your dishes are cold becaue they are inside a closed cabinet on an outside
wall... adding extra insulation would not have made your dishes stay any
warmer, becaeu it's thje heated air inside your house that warms those
dishes, but being in a closed cabinet the house air can't get inside the
cabinet at a high enough rate to offset the refrigeration of the outside
air. This is why plumbing is supposed to be inside an interior wall.

> If the heat isn't forcing itself into my kitchen cabinets, I sincerely
> doubt it's pushing past the hot air leaking from the dishwasher
> to dry them.
>
> Regardless, I don't see the worth to using the electric heating
> coil in my dishwasher to gain warmth in the house, but to each
> their own.

It's not to heat your house, it's strictly for the convenience of drying
your dishes and for health reasons... if having to wait for your dishes to
air dry from the time you open the dishwasher door is not inconvenient to
you then by all means don't use the heated dry... only negative then is that
your sysem is less sanitary.. dishes really should dry as quickly as
possible, stagnant water is unsanitary.... sometimes restaurants become
backed up and they serve in wet dishes, that's a big health code
violation... purposefully air drying dishes is a much bigger health code
violation.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
>>> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't
>>> gain anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by
>>> themselves.

>> Yeah, but... they don't begin to dry until you get up in the morning
>> and open the dishwasher door...

> The dishes are totally dry in the morning, save the occasional
> mis-loaded bowl or cup that traps water in the upturned bottom.
> nancy

Then you're pressing "Auto Wash" instead of "Regular Wash"... then your
machine automatically runs the heated dry.... because without the heated dry
there is no way your dishes would be dry when you open the door, just not
possible... if your dishes are dry when you open the door then you are
running the heated dry feature. If your dishes are too hot to touch when
you open the door, even a few hours after the wash is finished, then you are
running heated dry. Maybe you should read your owner's manual carefully...
I had to read my manual a few times until I learned what features were
automatically included with each setting... I discovered that the Pot
Scrubber setting includes sterilize. I've learned to realize there is
something different with each setting by how many minutes is displayed at
start... Regular Wash displays 60 minutes, Auto Wash displays 80 minutes,
Pot Scrubber displays 2 hours... that's with my Maytag, your machine
probably uses different terminology but I'd bet it functions the same. I
don't use Regular Wash, I mostly use Auto Wash, I use Pot Scrubber when I
wash my stove grates and drip pans. Even with heated dry, and even with
sanitize there will be water in upturned items... I have a few mugs with
concave bottoms, I always need to remember to load those on a slant.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Other way around. The heat you call wasted goes into the living
>>> space and helps to heat it. It may be wasted in summer, but during
>>> heating season, it is not wasted at all. It just helps to heat the
>>> house, as does the TV, computer, light bulbs, etc.
>>>
>>> The difference it the cost of electricity versus the fuel of your
>>> furnace. If you dry the dishes on the heat cycle, the furnace runs a
>>> bit less.

>> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
>> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't gain
>> anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by themselves.
>>

> Yeah, but... they don't begin to dry until you get up in the morning and
> open the dishwasher door... and then it still takes 3-4 hours to air dry...
> so any dishes used that morning need to be stacked in the sink, or
> somewhere. It's really false economy not to use the heated dry... the
> machine is already hot inside from it's normal run, it still uses the blower
> motor but without the heater... adding the heater at that point costs like
> what it costs to run your bread toaster 3-4 times... the energy used to run
> the heated dry cycles cost like 5% of the total cost of running the
> dishwasher... not using the heated dry cycle to save energy is like saving
> energy by using your TV/PC without audio.

I disabled the drying cycle on our last and current dishwashers and the
dishes dry just fine without opening the door. I have never seen a
blower motor fitted in a residential dishwasher. Maybe all of this is
just your imagination?
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:30:28 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> wrote:

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

>>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running
>>> or not.

>> The furnace heats the house. The heat in the house is used to evaporate
>> the water.
>>
>> The house heat that is used up by evaporating the water needs to be
>> replaced. Where does it come from? The furnace.

>This is true, there's no free lunch... you can't use the same energy twice.

Around here we don't heat or cool the house at least half the year.
Electrically drying dishes is a complete and total waste of energy
during those times. Of course if you find it convenient, for whatever
reason you choose, you might not consider it a waste.
Besides the seasonal aspect, allowing dishes to naturally drain their
water into the sewer system has absolutely no cost.
I don't have a dishwasher, but the drainboard is sometimes still
dripping water into the sink an hour after the dishes were washed.
Besides that, computing electric rates and dishwasher coil efficiency
versus home gas furnace cost and heating efficiency, with the heat
implications of evaporation and household humidity thrown in is not a
simple matter.
Do what you want, but don't think electrically drying dishes has no
cost. Unless you can scientifically prove it.

--Vic

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
>>> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't
>>> gain anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by
>>> themselves.
>>>

>> Yeah, but... they don't begin to dry until you get up in the morning
>> and open the dishwasher door...

> The dishes are totally dry in the morning, save the occasional
> mis-loaded bowl or cup that traps water in the upturned bottom.
> nancy

Same here, both our prior and current dishwashers had/have a button
which specifically disables the drying cycle. The dishes are always dry
in the morning just as you described.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 22:20:36 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running or
>>> not. As a matter of fact, the dishwasher is closed so I don't think
>>> the furnace heat has any affect on the dishes one way or another.

>> Other way around. The heat you call wasted goes into the living
>> space and helps to heat it. It may be wasted in summer, but during
>> heating season, it is not wasted at all. It just helps to heat the
>> house, as does the TV, computer, light bulbs, etc.
>>
>> The difference it the cost of electricity versus the fuel of your
>> furnace. If you dry the dishes on the heat cycle, the furnace runs a
>> bit less.

> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't gain
> anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by themselves.
>
> nancy

it doesn't make sense to me, either. if you're in a hurry for dry dishes,
there's always a towel.

your pal,
blake
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Nancy Young" wrote:
>> The Henchman wrote:
>>
>>> for clean dishes. To save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry
>>> instead of dw dryer.

>> I think that's a total waste of resources, however you want to put it. I
>> never use heated dry.

Neither does my daughter. I approve. It may not save a lot, but if you can
save money by doing something that causes you no trouble at all, why not?

> I bet you use your clothes dryer instead of hanging your laundry to dry... I
> bet you sometimes use your clothes dryer to dry just a couple items,
> everyone does.

If you don't dry it fairly quickly in one way or another, wet cloth mildews.
Nothing bad happens to stuff that normally goes through a dishwasher if you let
it air-dry. When I was working, sometimes they would stress-test circuit
boards by running them through the dishwasher in the employee break room, which
I thought was clever.

I do laundry at the laundromat every couple of months. I dry only full
multi-loads. You lose.

> The clothes dryer is probably the single appliance that
> folks MISuse that wastes the most energy.... the vacuum cleaner is a close
> runner up.
>
> Perhaps you don't mind waking up in the morning to a dishwasher filled with
> wet dishes, but I don't want to start wiping dishes first thing in the
> morning before being able to put them away and I don't want to wait half the
> day with the dishwasher door open for the dishes to air dry and having to
> stack up dirty dishes because those in the machine are still wet, really
> negates the utility of owning a dishwasher.

You might ask yourself why it's so important that (a) dishes be put away on
some sort of schedule and (b) they be dry when you put them away and (c) there
be no dishes in the sink.

The good thing about dishwashers is that the dishes feel so clean after
processing. Squeaky clean. I'm not willing to wash them that well by hand,
and it's a real shame that there's no room in my kitchen for an electric
dishwasher. Barely enough room for a human dishwasher :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
Always carry a length of fiber-optic cable in your pocket. Should
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> > The water doesn't care what generated the heat. During the heating
>> > season, that heat is going to come either from the dishwasher heating
>> > element or from the furnace, but either way you're going to pay for
>> > the heat. It may be marginally cheaper to use the furnace, if you
>> > have an up to date high efficiency furnace, but not enough to notice.

>> ? The dishes dry themselves whether I have the furnace running
>> or not.

> The furnace heats the house. The heat in the house is used to evaporate
> the water.
>
> The house heat that is used up by evaporating the water needs to be
> replaced. Where does it come from? The furnace.

What is this "furnace" of which you speak? We live in SoCal. Heat comes from
the sun. It doesn't bill us.

--
Cheers, Bev
Always carry a length of fiber-optic cable in your pocket. Should
you be shipwrecked and find yourself stranded on a desert island,
bury the cable in the sand. A few hours later, a guy driving a
backhoe will be along to dig it up. Ask him to rescue you.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> It's not to heat your house, it's strictly for the convenience of drying
> your dishes and for health reasons... if having to wait for your dishes to
> air dry from the time you open the dishwasher door is not inconvenient to
> you then by all means don't use the heated dry... only negative then is that
> your sysem is less sanitary.. dishes really should dry as quickly as
> possible, stagnant water is unsanitary.... sometimes restaurants become
> backed up and they serve in wet dishes, that's a big health code
> violation... purposefully air drying dishes is a much bigger health code
> violation.

Some people worry WAYYYYY too much. 1. Just because it's an official code
doesn't mean it's necessary or even makes sense. 2. Public eating places have
different rules from homes, possibly because it would be impossible to enforce
home rules -- although that doesn't seem to be an obstacle in some cases.

You would be horrified at my dishwashing practices. Nevertheless, I can't
remember the last time we were sick, although I do remember that we were sick
at some time in the past.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> The furnace heats the house. The heat in the house is used to
>>> evaporate the water.

>> The fact that the water the dishes were washed in is super hot makes
>> it just evaporate. This is why they also dry themselves in the
>> summer when the heat isn't on ... or the A/C.
>>
>> Geez, when I take my dishes out of the cabinets on that same
>> wall in the winter, they are freezing cold because I didn't think to
>> have them replace the insulation when I replaced the kitchen.

> Your dishes are cold becaue they are inside a closed cabinet on an
> outside wall... adding extra insulation would not have made your
> dishes stay any warmer, becaeu it's thje heated air inside your house
> that warms those dishes, but being in a closed cabinet the house air
> can't get inside the cabinet at a high enough rate to offset the
> refrigeration of the outside air. This is why plumbing is supposed
> to be inside an interior wall.
>> If the heat isn't forcing itself into my kitchen cabinets, I
>> sincerely doubt it's pushing past the hot air leaking from the
>> dishwasher to dry them.
>>
>> Regardless, I don't see the worth to using the electric heating
>> coil in my dishwasher to gain warmth in the house, but to each
>> their own.
>>

> It's not to heat your house, it's strictly for the convenience of
> drying your dishes and for health reasons... if having to wait for
> your dishes to air dry from the time you open the dishwasher door is
> not inconvenient to you then by all means don't use the heated dry...
> only negative then is that your sysem is less sanitary.. dishes
> really should dry as quickly as possible, stagnant water is unsanitary....

There is no stagnant water. Mine ends the cycle with the dishes
stinking hot from the last hot water rinse. I open the door when
that cycle ends and everything ends up dry quite quickly because
the dishes are so hot. The dishwasher has a delayed pump cycle
that gets rid of the last of the water that has drained off the dishes.

> sometimes restaurants become backed up and they serve in wet dishes, that's a big health code violation...

I dont have wet dishes even without any heated dry cycle.

> purposefully air drying dishes is a much bigger health code violation.

But isnt for dishes in the home.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Other way around. The heat you call wasted goes into the living
>>> space and helps to heat it. It may be wasted in summer, but during
>>> heating season, it is not wasted at all. It just helps to heat the
>>> house, as does the TV, computer, light bulbs, etc.
>>>
>>> The difference it the cost of electricity versus the fuel of your
>>> furnace. If you dry the dishes on the heat cycle, the furnace runs a
>>> bit less.

>> Actually, I run my dishwasher in the middle of the night. My heat
>> doesn't run during the night unless it's crazy cold out. I don't
>> gain anything by using heated dry for my dishes, they just dry by
>> themselves.

> Yeah, but... they don't begin to dry until you get up in the morning and open the dishwasher door...

Wrong.

> and then it still takes 3-4 hours to air dry...

Wrong.

> so any dishes used that morning need to be stacked in the sink, or somewhere.

Wrong again if you use other dishes from the cupboards.

> It's really false economy not to use the heated dry...

Wrong.

> the machine is already hot inside from it's normal run, it still uses the blower motor but without the heater...

There is no blower in domestic dishwashers.

> adding the heater at that point costs like what it costs to run your bread toaster 3-4 times...

Wrong.

> the energy used to run the heated dry cycles cost like 5% of the total cost of running the dishwasher...

Wrong.

> not using the heated dry cycle to save energy is like saving energy by using your TV/PC without audio.

Wrong in spades. Nothing like.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:28:22 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>So you live in SoCal; what advice do you have for people who live in
>Minnesota?

Actually I live near Chicago. No advice.
Didn't use the dry cycle when I had a dishwasher.
But everybody can do what they want.
Only advice I usually give is stuff like a penny saved is a penny
earned, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, an ounce of prevention
is worth a pound of cure, etc.
But nobody pays attention to me anyway.
Guess they already heard it.

--Vic
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> Vic Smith > wrote:
>
>> Besides the seasonal aspect, allowing dishes to naturally drain their
>> water into the sewer system has absolutely no cost.

> Actually, depending on where you live, drying them with a heater costs
> more than what the heater costs: around here you pay for sewer based on
> how much water you use. If you use the water and then don't send it
> down the sewer, then you're paying for a service you're not getting.
>
> OK, so now we're getting esoteric.
>
> So you live in SoCal; what advice do you have for people who live in
> Minnesota?

Move!

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:30:28 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> > wrote:
>
> Do what you want, but don't think electrically drying dishes has no
> cost. Unless you can scientifically prove it.

I don't see anyone saying it has no cost. The point is that air drying the
dishes isn't necessarily cost free either. Neither is using a towel to dry
them - the water is absorbed by the towel, which becomes damp. You hang the
towel up when you're done, and that water evaporates. And again, it takes a
certain amount of heat to evaporate a given quantity of water, and if it's
during the heating season, that heat is coming from the furnace. If you
live in a climate where you don't need to run the furnace, then that's not a
consideration. I don't know how much water has to be evaporated to dry a
load of dishes, but it doesn't look like it would be much, and the amount of
electricity used is correspondingly small - I doubt if anyone would notice a
change in their electricity bill one way or the other.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Lou" > wrote in message

> "Vic Smith" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:30:28 GMT, "brooklyn1"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Do what you want, but don't think electrically drying dishes has no
>> cost. Unless you can scientifically prove it.
>>

> I don't see anyone saying it has no cost. The point is that air drying
> the
> dishes isn't necessarily cost free either. Neither is using a towel to
> dry
> them - the water is absorbed by the towel, which becomes damp. You hang
> the
> towel up when you're done, and that water evaporates. And again, it takes
> certain amount of heat to evaporate a given quantity of water, and if it's
> during the heating season, that heat is coming from the furnace. If you
> live in a climate where you don't need to run the furnace, then that's not
> consideration. I don't know how much water has to be evaporated to dry a
> load of dishes, but it doesn't look like it would be much, and the amount
> of
> electricity used is correspondingly small - I doubt if anyone would notice
> change in their electricity bill one way or the other.

Absolutely true... finally someone with a functioning brain... a very rare
commodity these days, obviously.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Lou" > wrote:
>> "Vic Smith" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Do what you want, but don't think electrically drying dishes has no
>>> cost. Unless you can scientifically prove it.
>>>

>> I don't know how much water has to be evaporated to dry a load of dishes,
>> but it doesn't look like it would be much, and the amount of electricity
>> used is correspondingly small - I doubt if anyone would notice a change in
>> their electricity bill one way or the other.
>>

> Absolutely true... finally someone with a functioning brain... a very rare
> commodity these days, obviously.

OTOH, a friend's electric bill was cut in half when she stopped running her
coffeemaker all day.

--
Cheers, Bev
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" wrote:
>> The Henchman wrote:
>>
>>> for clean dishes. To save a buck on hydro we let the dishes air dry
>>> instead of dw dryer.

>> I think that's a total waste of resources, however you want to put it. I
>> never use heated dry.
>>
>> The "heated dry" cycle is half the reason to own a dishwasher.

Heated dry is great when you are cleaning up after company and need to do
multple loads but I find for 2 people, air drying the dishes takes about 60
minutes.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote:
> "Vic Smith" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:30:28 GMT, "brooklyn1"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Do what you want, but don't think electrically drying dishes has no
>> cost. Unless you can scientifically prove it.
>>

> I don't see anyone saying it has no cost. The point is that air drying the
> dishes isn't necessarily cost free either. Neither is using a towel to dry
> them - the water is absorbed by the towel, which becomes damp. You hang the
> towel up when you're done, and that water evaporates. And again, it takes a
> certain amount of heat to evaporate a given quantity of water, and if it's
> during the heating season, that heat is coming from the furnace. If you
> live in a climate where you don't need to run the furnace, then that's not a
> consideration. I don't know how much water has to be evaporated to dry a
> load of dishes, but it doesn't look like it would be much, and the amount of
> electricity used is correspondingly small - I doubt if anyone would notice a
> change in their electricity bill one way or the other.

I use the water heater feature of my dishwasher and clothes washer so
that I can set my domestic water at 120 instead of 150. That saves much
more money than not using electricity to dry the dishes.

YMMV

Matthew

--
"You give me a waterboard, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him
confess to the Sharon Tate murders." -- Jesse Ventura
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote:

> The point is that air drying the
> dishes isn't necessarily cost free either. Neither is using a towel to dry
> them - the water is absorbed by the towel, which becomes damp. You hang the
> towel up when you're done, and that water evaporates.

True.

And again, it takes a
> certain amount of heat to evaporate a given quantity of water, and if it's
> during the heating season, that heat is coming from the furnace. If you
> live in a climate where you don't need to run the furnace, then that's not a
> consideration. I don't know how much water has to be evaporated to dry a
> load of dishes, but it doesn't look like it would be much, and the amount of
> electricity used is correspondingly small - I doubt if anyone would notice a
> change in their electricity bill one way or the other.

But that's assuming that all the energy used goes into evaporating
water. In the case of air drying that's true. In the case of heated
drying, it's hard to believe. The heat leaks into the environment
(not a total loss, of course, as the furnace runs less, but not a wash
either, since resistance heating is usually much more costly than the
furnace's heat). I don't have any figures for the percentage of total
heat used that evaporates water, but would guess it's a small
percentage. The rest goes into making the dishwasher warm, leaving
the plates warm.

(It's all theoretical to me, I've never had a dishwasher.)

Dave

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote:

> I don't see anyone saying it has no cost. The point is that air
> drying the dishes isn't necessarily cost free either. Neither is
> using a towel to dry them - the water is absorbed by the towel, which
> becomes damp.

I haven't dried a dish with a towel since I was a kid and my mother
insisted that I dry the dishes after I washed them. What a sloppy
mess. Whatever dishes I wash by hand sit in the drainer until I
put them away, having dried on their own. And pretty fast, too,
since I use pretty hot tap water.

I can't really get behind this dishwasher as home heating device
unless you live in a one room studio.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I can't really get behind this dishwasher as home heating device
>> unless you live in a one room studio.

> The size of the house has nothing to do with it. The fact remains:
> if you need to add heat to the home to make it comfortable for
> living, then the heat from the dishwasher's dry cycle will ultimately
> be sent into the inside of the home itself. That is heat that the
> furnace does NOT have to supply.

Eh, I don't think my dishwasher heat really reaches the thermostat
to any measurable degree.

nancy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Dave Garland" > wrote in message
> Lou wrote:
>
>> The point is that air drying the
>> dishes isn't necessarily cost free either. Neither is using a towel to
>> dry
>> them - the water is absorbed by the towel, which becomes damp. You hang
>> the
>> towel up when you're done, and that water evaporates.

> True.
>
> And again, it takes a
>> certain amount of heat to evaporate a given quantity of water, and if
>> it's
>> during the heating season, that heat is coming from the furnace. If you
>> live in a climate where you don't need to run the furnace, then that's
>> not a
>> consideration. I don't know how much water has to be evaporated to dry a
>> load of dishes, but it doesn't look like it would be much, and the amount
>> of
>> electricity used is correspondingly small - I doubt if anyone would
>> notice a
>> change in their electricity bill one way or the other.

> But that's assuming that all the energy used goes into evaporating
> water. In the case of air drying that's true. In the case of heated
> drying, it's hard to believe. The heat leaks into the environment
> (not a total loss, of course, as the furnace runs less, but not a wash
> either, since resistance heating is usually much more costly than the
> furnace's heat). I don't have any figures for the percentage of total
> heat used that evaporates water, but would guess it's a small
> percentage. The rest goes into making the dishwasher warm, leaving
> the plates warm.
>
> (It's all theoretical to me, I've never had a dishwasher.)
>
> Dave

Ahahahahaha. . . .

Folks, it's a dishwasher... a marvel of modern *convenience*, something no
one actually *needs*, but a major part of the convenience is the dry
feature... if you open the unit right after it shuts off the dishes will be
so hot that they will fully air dry in minutes... but if opened hours after
it's fully cooled down (like in the morning) condensation will have formed
inside the machine. I typically start my dishwasher last thing before
retiring for the night, then I set the heated dry feature because I hate
opening the dishwasher and finding many of the dishes covered with
droplets.... the heated dry doesn't need to be used all the time, that's why
there is a button that gives you a choice to exercise your brain. Never
using the dry feature is like folks who install central AC but never use it
unless it's like 100 degrees (and then they set it at 90), like buying a
Porsche but being ascared to drive over 45 mph, like installing a fancy
schmancy hydro jet tub but never using it other than something to dust and
show off because it uses too much hot water, like buying nice living room
furniture covered with silk brocade but covering it with clear plastic slip
covers in hopes it won't ever wear, like roping off the living room so no
one walks on your horrid dago robin's egg blue plush carpeting. The heated
dry feature on a dishwasher uses so little energy compared to the total
energy it consumes that it's negligible... I bet yoose types are so cheap
yoose haven't bought a new toothbrush in like twenty years... yoose are all
just a buncha mental masturbators over silly minutia.

In fact I just got off the phone with the Maytag help desk, they varified
that choosing the heated dry feature only slightly extends the heated dry
that comes on anyway as part of the standard clean cycle... that the energy
cost savings by not choosing the heated dry feature is miniscule and
insignificant compared with the total energy consumed in using a dishwasher
(naturally they couldn't give me an actual dollar amount as electric rates
differ). Think about it, how many times a week does someone use their
dishwasher... tops I use mine twice, that's 100 times a year... by not using
the heated dry feature I'd save like 10¢, that's a whole $10/yr... and I'd
lose the convenience of not having to wait with the door open for the dishes
to fully dry or having to wipe... I don't know about the slobs but I don't
like to stack my dishes in the cabinet with water droplets... then moisture
gets trapped between stacked dishes, very unsanitary... wiping by hand is
also unsanitary, negates the main purpose of an Auto dishwasher, minimally
handled dishes. And dishwashers do indeed contain a blower, that's what
circulates the heated air at the end in order to dry the dishes, choosing
the heated dry feature merely lets the blower circulate the heated air a few
minutes longer. If I listen carefully I can hear the blower running
(because nothing else is running at the end) and I can see the vapor blowing
out the front vent, it's a very small blower and a very small heater, but it
works in that very small space. There is also a water heater, that uses
much more energy than the dry heater. There is a definite savings in energy
and the dishwasher will operate better if the water at the kitchen sink is
run till it runs hot before turning on the dishwasher... my Maytag manual
explains that and even says to test the water at the sink by runing it into
cup and checking with a thermometer, optimally it should read 140ºF, or the
dishwasher's water heater will have to make up the difference and that
heater will cost a lot more to run than the drying heater, it's also cheaper
to let your domestic hot water heater do the work... initially running with
water not hot enough will negatively affect the performance of the
dishwashing compounds... everyone's plumbing is different but typically a
gallon of cold water comes out the hot water tap before it turns hot...
filling the dishwasher with cold water wastes more energy than the heated
dry feature uses. I just read my owner's manual again, a lot of good stuff
in there I missed/forgotten since I read it 5 years ago, the machine has
features I didn't know about.

Not using your modern dishwasher's heated dry feature saves less energy than
not using your modern frost free refrigerator freezer to make ice, and makes
as much sense... just don't fill the ice cube trays, you'll save enough to
take an around the world cruise... maybe in about forty life times. I
wonder how many of yoose imbeciles believe you have to change the air in
your car tires every 6,000 miles.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 9:47*am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> *I
> wonder how many of yoose imbeciles believe you have to change the air in
> your car tires every 6,000 miles.

With the newer tires you can safely go as long as 10,000 between air
changes.

--Bryan
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> > The size of the house has nothing to do with it. The fact remains:
>> > if you need to add heat to the home to make it comfortable for
>> > living, then the heat from the dishwasher's dry cycle will ultimately
>> > be sent into the inside of the home itself. That is heat that the
>> > furnace does NOT have to supply.

>> Eh, I don't think my dishwasher heat really reaches the thermostat
>> to any measurable degree.

> Ummmm.....absolutely it does.
>
> Are you an artist?

MEASURABLE degree. how many BTU does a warming cycle put out? sure, all of
it ends up in the house, but how many minutes of furnace time does it equate
to?

dishwasher? Storrmmee Cooking Equipment 7 13-03-2011 02:48 PM
dishwasher? Storrmmee General Cooking 117 03-03-2011 04:02 AM
Dishwasher SOP tom General Cooking 0 26-01-2011 12:08 AM
How to use a dishwasher Tom Adams General Cooking 149 19-05-2009 10:44 PM
How to use a dishwasher Kswck Cooking Equipment 0 15-05-2009 12:49 AM