Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

For a single person.... what would be the best of these
two options and why?

Trying to save time...eat better...etc. Eat at home
more often.

Thanks
Old 13-02-2008, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

Many people have heard stories of disasters with the old-style pressure
cookers. The new designs have a number of safety features built in. I
have a Fagor, and it's a breeze to use. I wouldn't touch my mother's
old Presto(?) with a bargepole......
The Lorna Sass book 'Pressure Perfect', is very useful for timings and
technique.
Old 13-02-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:

I would not dream of giving up one or the other. The kinds of things I
make in one are different than the kinds of things I make in the other.

So its not an "either or" thing... bets to get both
then huh?

If yes.... will a cheap $10 Rival Crockpot of 2 qt size
do me fine? I'm single and live alone.
Old 13-02-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

OK point taken

Any advice in a small pressure coke for a single
person? brand and model?
Old 13-02-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

OK point taken

Any advice in a small pressure coke for a single
person? brand and model?

I *think* I've seen something smaller than a 4-quart but would have to
do some net searching for it. It may have been either a Fagor or a
Marfesa. If you have never used one, know this: you can only fill
them to about 2/3 of their capacity. I would not buy one less than 6
quarts; I think my brother's is a 4-quart -- he's single. I use mine
often to cook beef chunks for freezing for later use. Three pounds of
chuck pieces would crowd a 4 quart unit, IMO.

Do you have deep pockets? One of the newer brands comes with more than
one size pan to use with the lid and its mechanism. Handy, I suppose,
especially if you happen to need a couple saucepans.

I'd buy a stainless steel unit rather than an aluminum one, I guess.

There's a website devoted to pressure cooking, hosted by Lorna Somebody.
Lorna Sass? I'd have to look. Look for "cooking under pressure" as a
book title.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Old 13-02-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I *think* I've seen something smaller than a 4-quart but would have to
do some net searching for it. It may have been either a Fagor or a
Marfesa. If you have never used one, know this: you can only fill
them to about 2/3 of their capacity. I would not buy one less than 6
quarts; I think my brother's is a 4-quart -- he's single. I use mine
often to cook beef chunks for freezing for later use. Three pounds of
chuck pieces would crowd a 4 quart unit, IMO.

Do you have deep pockets? One of the newer brands comes with more than
one size pan to use with the lid and its mechanism. Handy, I suppose,
especially if you happen to need a couple saucepans.

Expensive, but not bad if you don't already have a full assortment of
pots. The sets I've seen, come with standard pot lids as well as
pressure lids.
If just buying the one, I agree with you about the 6 qt size.

I'd buy a stainless steel unit rather than an aluminum one, I guess.

Agreed.

There's a website devoted to pressure cooking, hosted by Lorna Somebody.
Lorna Sass? I'd have to look. Look for "cooking under pressure" as a
book title.

Yes - Lorna Sass. 'Cooking Under Pressure' and 'Pressure Perfect'.
Old 14-02-2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:

Yes to the cheap crockpot, but IMHO, no to the Rival. My last Rival was
a pricey one with "programs" that I threw n the trash. It ran way too
hot and burnt stuff even when set on "warm" I now have a Hamilton Beach
and I just love it.

You can get a 2 qt non-Rival Crockpot and a decent aluminum pressure
cooker at WalMart (heaven for give me).

But I saw a basic Rival 2 qt model at Walmart for $10

That work ok?