FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Slow cooker vs pressure cooker? (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/148678-slow-cooker-vs-pressure.html)

[email protected] 11-02-2008 10:01 PM

Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

For a single person.... what would be the best of these
two options and why?

Trying to save time...eat better...etc. Eat at home
more often.

Thanks

S Viemeister[_2_] 12-02-2008 01:01 AM

wrote:
> For a single person.... what would be the best of these
> two options and why?

One isn't better than the other - they're _different_.

The slow cooker requires that you plan ahead, the pressure cooker lets
you cook something quickly, once you get home.
I have both. Lately, I've been using the pressure cooker more - but
that's just me.

Cin 12-02-2008 03:52 AM

Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

wrote in
:

> For a single person.... what would be the best of these
> two options and why?
>
> Trying to save time...eat better...etc. Eat at home
> more often.
>
> Thanks

Depends on your lifestyle.

I think if I had a choice, one or the other, I would opt for the
pressure cooker. Though I do like SLOW cooking overnight in the
crock pot.

[email protected] 12-02-2008 05:01 PM

Cin > wrote:

>Depends on your lifestyle.
>
>I think if I had a choice, one or the other, I would opt for the
>pressure cooker.

How come?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 12-02-2008 07:44 PM

Cin wrote:
> wrote in
> :
>
>> For a single person.... what would be the best of these
>> two options and why?
>>
>> Trying to save time...eat better...etc. Eat at home
>> more often.
>>
>> Thanks

> Depends on your lifestyle.
>
> I think if I had a choice, one or the other, I would opt for the
> pressure cooker. Though I do like SLOW cooking overnight in the
> crock pot.

I would not dream of giving up one or the other. The kinds of things I
make in one are different than the kinds of things I make in the other.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Melba's Jammin' 13-02-2008 02:58 AM

Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

In article >,
wrote:

> For a single person.... what would be the best of these
> two options and why?
>
> Trying to save time...eat better...etc. Eat at home
> more often.
>
> Thanks

Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted

S Viemeister[_2_] 13-02-2008 01:35 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
> three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
> cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
> you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
> not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

Many people have heard stories of disasters with the old-style pressure
cookers. The new designs have a number of safety features built in. I
have a Fagor, and it's a breeze to use. I wouldn't touch my mother's
old Presto(?) with a bargepole......
The Lorna Sass book 'Pressure Perfect', is very useful for timings and
technique.

[email protected] 13-02-2008 04:41 PM

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>I would not dream of giving up one or the other. The kinds of things I
>make in one are different than the kinds of things I make in the other.

So its not an "either or" thing... bets to get both
then huh?

If yes.... will a cheap $10 Rival Crockpot of 2 qt size
do me fine? I'm single and live alone.

[email protected] 13-02-2008 04:42 PM

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
>three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
>cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
>you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
>not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

OK point taken

Any advice in a small pressure coke for a single
person? brand and model?

S Viemeister[_2_] 13-02-2008 06:54 PM

wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
>> three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
>> cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
>> you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
>> not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

> OK point taken
>
> Any advice in a small pressure coke for a single
> person? brand and model?

I like my Fagor. I have the 6 quart size, which works well for most
things. There are 4 qt ones, but I don't think they're as useful.
It's simple to use and well-made. I got mine at Costco - I don't know
if they still have them there. I've seen a number of inexpensive,
flimsy models, some made of aluminium. The Fagor is stainless steel,
with a heavy sandwiched base.

Melba's Jammin' 13-02-2008 08:23 PM

wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >Pressure cooker, hands down. Why? Because I've only ever made two or
> >three things worth eating in a slow cooker, and one of them is hot
> >cider. I like what someone said about planning -- with a slow cooker
> >you have to plan ahead. I don't like to plan ahead for much. And I'm
> >not afraid of a pressure cooker as many are. JMOs.

> OK point taken
>
> Any advice in a small pressure coke for a single
> person? brand and model?

I *think* I've seen something smaller than a 4-quart but would have to
do some net searching for it. It may have been either a Fagor or a
Marfesa. If you have never used one, know this: you can only fill
them to about 2/3 of their capacity. I would not buy one less than 6
quarts; I think my brother's is a 4-quart -- he's single. I use mine
often to cook beef chunks for freezing for later use. Three pounds of
chuck pieces would crowd a 4 quart unit, IMO.

Do you have deep pockets? One of the newer brands comes with more than
one size pan to use with the lid and its mechanism. Handy, I suppose,
especially if you happen to need a couple saucepans.

I'd buy a stainless steel unit rather than an aluminum one, I guess.

There's a website devoted to pressure cooking, hosted by Lorna Somebody.
Lorna Sass? I'd have to look. Look for "cooking under pressure" as a
book title.

S Viemeister[_2_] 13-02-2008 09:08 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I *think* I've seen something smaller than a 4-quart but would have to
> do some net searching for it. It may have been either a Fagor or a
> Marfesa. If you have never used one, know this: you can only fill
> them to about 2/3 of their capacity. I would not buy one less than 6
> quarts; I think my brother's is a 4-quart -- he's single. I use mine
> often to cook beef chunks for freezing for later use. Three pounds of
> chuck pieces would crowd a 4 quart unit, IMO.
>
> Do you have deep pockets? One of the newer brands comes with more than
> one size pan to use with the lid and its mechanism. Handy, I suppose,
> especially if you happen to need a couple saucepans.

Expensive, but not bad if you don't already have a full assortment of
pots. The sets I've seen, come with standard pot lids as well as
pressure lids.
If just buying the one, I agree with you about the 6 qt size.

> I'd buy a stainless steel unit rather than an aluminum one, I guess.

Agreed.

> There's a website devoted to pressure cooking, hosted by Lorna Somebody.
> Lorna Sass? I'd have to look. Look for "cooking under pressure" as a
> book title.

Yes - Lorna Sass. 'Cooking Under Pressure' and 'Pressure Perfect'.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-02-2008 01:33 AM

wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I would not dream of giving up one or the other. The kinds of things I
>> make in one are different than the kinds of things I make in the other.

> So its not an "either or" thing... bets to get both
> then huh?
>
> If yes.... will a cheap $10 Rival Crockpot of 2 qt size
> do me fine? I'm single and live alone.

Yes to the cheap crockpot, but IMHO, no to the Rival. My last Rival was
a pricey one with "programs" that I threw n the trash. It ran way too
hot and burnt stuff even when set on "warm" I now have a Hamilton Beach
and I just love it.

You can get a 2 qt non-Rival Crockpot and a decent aluminum pressure
cooker at WalMart (heaven for give me).

[email protected] 14-02-2008 08:35 PM

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>Yes to the cheap crockpot, but IMHO, no to the Rival. My last Rival was
>a pricey one with "programs" that I threw n the trash. It ran way too
>hot and burnt stuff even when set on "warm" I now have a Hamilton Beach
>and I just love it.
>
>You can get a 2 qt non-Rival Crockpot and a decent aluminum pressure
>cooker at WalMart (heaven for give me).

But I saw a basic Rival 2 qt model at Walmart for $10

That work ok?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-02-2008 10:42 PM

wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Yes to the cheap crockpot, but IMHO, no to the Rival. My last Rival was
>> a pricey one with "programs" that I threw n the trash. It ran way too
>> hot and burnt stuff even when set on "warm" I now have a Hamilton Beach
>> and I just love it.
>>
>> You can get a 2 qt non-Rival Crockpot and a decent aluminum pressure
>> cooker at WalMart (heaven for give me).

> But I saw a basic Rival 2 qt model at Walmart for $10
>
> That work ok?

I was very unhappy with my Rival. YMMV, but there are other brands out
there. Personally, I would not leave a Rival alone. I have no problems
leaving my Hamilton Beach and going out, but the Rival was unreliable.