Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Maximum Temp. of your oven?

Have any of you measured the highest temperature your oven will go,
measured with an
oven thermometer? I don't rely on the gauge. What's the highest temp. your
gas oven will heat to?
We're about to get a wall oven and will probably end up with a Dacor
electric, if it
passes the 550F temp. test. I am a pizza fanatic. Our old GE will go to 550F
measured
with an oven thermometer inside on the grate. I'm going to ask the
salesperson to heat the oven to maximum
with my thermometer to make certain it will hit 550F. Does anyone have an
oven that will
go higher than 550F?

Any advice regarding Dacor, vs Viking, vs. Wolf ovens would be appreciated,
as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:57:14 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>Have any of you measured the highest temperature your oven will go,
>measured with an oven thermometer?.... Does anyone have an
>oven that will go higher than 550F?

My GE Profile will hit 560, probably +/- 20 degrees for digital thermometer
accuracy. If I need anything higher, my outdoor grill, with all three burners
max'ed out and the lid down, hits 725.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 29, 12:57 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> Have any of you measured the highest temperature your oven will go,
> measured with an
> oven thermometer? I don't rely on the gauge. What's the highest temp. your
> gas oven will heat to?
> We're about to get a wall oven and will probably end up with a Dacor
> electric, if it
> passes the 550F temp. test. I am a pizza fanatic. Our old GE will go to 550F
> measured
> with an oven thermometer inside on the grate. I'm going to ask the
> salesperson to heat the oven to maximum
> with my thermometer to make certain it will hit 550F. Does anyone have an
> oven that will
> go higher than 550F?
>
> Any advice regarding Dacor, vs Viking, vs. Wolf ovens would be appreciated,
> as well.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Kent

I speak from the heart as a pizza fanatic, myself -- none will satisfy
me except my own and "Sally's" in New Haven, CT.

Funny you should mention this. I had a KitchenAid gauge that the
numbers are wiped out on because obviously my oven was too hot. Now,
my dilemna is this: if one wants to see if their oven will go higher
than the 550 maxium gauge that you are using, how can you tell,
unless it jumps over the 550 mark? Then will you know how much over
it is -- unless you eyeball it?

Here is what I've done on my old wreck of a Jennair to bring it up
higher for a pizza. I put a pizza stone on the bottom rack and one on
the top rack. Kenneth (in another group) makes this point: When you
put your stone in, as the heat keeps cycling/ratcheting up to the 550F
point, it will at the highest point F reading, heat the stones higher
than the air temperature and it will heat your stone higher -- I can't
recall his exact points, as to whether it will make the air
temperature go up or not. HOWEVER, I do use an infrared thermometer
in my oven and I zap the walls and the stone. I don't think you can
zap the air with infrared, perhaps you can ;-)) I've got my stones
around 575F in the old Jennair. I haven't tried this one so far as it
seems to me it's still smokin'. I've put it thru the paces with
cleaning twice, and even though I've turned on all the fans, it smells
too much for me at those temperatures to feel I'd like a "Sally's"
pizza on my table.

At any rate, DH is shopping this day for another oven therm - one that
will not ruin the numbers.
I now have a Kenmore Elite and it heats pretty darned hot, so I'm
thinking I'd better get a therm pretty soon to test it, to see if it
will jump that 550 mark.

As to heating the oven with 'your' thermometer, I've been wondering --
how does one know whether one's therm reading is any better than the
oven's reading. And supposing the readings match? Does this mean they
are both right, or both wrong.

I like Larry's solution, however, my country home is open to critters
building nests in any hole than come in contact with.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 29 Mar 2007 12:06:13 -0700, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>As to heating the oven with 'your' thermometer, I've been wondering --
>how does one know whether one's therm reading is any better than the
>oven's reading. And supposing the readings match? Does this mean they
>are both right, or both wrong.

Well, you can trust the manufacturer's specification -- for a digital, this is
probably some percentage of the reading (frequently 0.5%) plus another factor of
plus or minus a number applied to the low-order digit (for A/d conversion
error). Too complex to play with for most of us. Generally, you get what you pay
for in terms of accuracy and repeatability.

But IMO, so long as the temp. you want to measure is expected to be within the
range of your thermometer, you can just calibrate it with a bowl of ice water
and a pot of boiling water, and extrapolate the error from what you see at
boiling.

But for things like pizza, all you want is as much heat as you can get, right?
What difference does even 50 degrees make at the high end? You're not likely to
get over 900 deg F in the home, so why worry about it?

>I like Larry's solution, however, my country home is open to critters
>building nests in any hole than come in contact with.

Dunno what solution you mean, Dee -- the outdoor grill?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 29, 7:01 pm, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2007 12:06:13 -0700, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
>
> >I like Larry's solution, however, my country home is open to critters
> >building nests in any hole than come in contact with.

> Dunno what solution you mean, Dee -- the outdoor grill?
>
> -- Larry

Right. An outdoor grill. It's ust not in the cards for us where we
live.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 29 Mar 2007 17:41:52 -0700, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>> Dunno what solution you mean, Dee -- the outdoor grill?

>Right. An outdoor grill. It's ust not in the cards for us where we
>live.

Oh, too bad. I thought you lived out in the country, somewhere along 81 south of
Winchester?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> >Right. An outdoor grill. It's ust not in the cards for us where we
> >live.

> Oh, too bad. I thought you lived out in the country, somewhere along 81 south of
> Winchester?
>
> -- Larry

Yes, we do live about 25-30 miles south of Winchester -- the area is
growing like wildfire. We are still country, but the countryside is
getting dotted with new houses taking up the beautiful mountain
views. We went two days ago to look at an example of some landscaping
rocks on a house being built by the River. They were constructing
some sort of building in the BOGS by the river (for parties I would
imagine) right in the straight view from their pool to the river. We
laughed because we just filled in our pool late last summer that was
here when we bought the house in 1993. There are so many 'black
biting knats" or "black biting flies" near the river that you need a
net on your head/face, there were critters in the pool each morning;
and any sort of grill is housing for chipmunks, squirrels, birds,
snakes, rabbits, etc. We would hike and walk 5 miles and not see a
car. People are coming from the north and the east and even spilling
over into WV.

I've found from living many places that no place is perfect and you
just can't plan for everything. :-((

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 29 Mar 2007 20:42:31 -0700, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>Yes, we do live about 25-30 miles south of Winchester -- the area is
>growing like wildfire.... There are so many 'black
>biting knats" or "black biting flies" near the river that you need a
>net on your head/face, there were critters in the pool each morning;
>and any sort of grill is housing for chipmunks, squirrels, birds,
>snakes, rabbits, etc. We would hike and walk 5 miles and not see a
>car. People are coming from the north and the east and even spilling
>over into WV.
>
>I've found from living many places that no place is perfect and you
>just can't plan for everything. :-((

It is gorgeous out there, though. Good friends of ours felt the pull of that
area, bought an old historic home and renovated it into a large B&B in
Sperryville a couple of years ago, so we get out that way occasionally. There is
a stream along their back boundary, and I've noticed the bugs are pretty fierce
in the warmer months. But it is nice to relax in a place that doesn't even allow
cell phone towers.

I guess you could rig a grill of some sort, but it would have to be pretty open
in design, and you couldn't leave a top or cover on it. Or else you'd have to
roll it indoors for storage. Or invert it, and hang it from a tree... 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I guess you could rig a grill of some sort, but it would have to be pretty open
> in design, and you couldn't leave a top or cover on it. Or else you'd have to
> roll it indoors for storage. Or invert it, and hang it from a tree... 8
>
> -- Larry

LOL -- one word about inversion -- HORNETS! I think they'll build in
a day. :-))
No, I think our grilling days are over.

Oven temp help theChas. General Cooking 5 30-03-2008 06:47 PM
Oven temp Walden Manor, including Chip, Skipper, Sky, Sue Sourdough 2 06-12-2006 06:50 PM
OVEN TEMP PUZZLE General Cooking 3 23-03-2005 12:28 AM
Tiles cause oven temp difference? Peter Cook General Cooking 18 02-01-2004 06:38 AM
temp control in a gas oven Sam Cooking Equipment 2 04-11-2003 11:17 PM