Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Dishwasher: GE Profile vs Bosch

We're getting ready to upgrade some appliances, including the
dishwasher. The dishes come out of our Kitchenaid dirtier than they
went in.

I'm considering the Bosch SHE/SHX 43C0, and the GE Profile PDW9980NSS.

I understand that because the way the Bosch heats the water, plastic
can be washed on the lower rack.

I'm pretty sure the Profile has the standard heating element like
other dishwashers, but the pictures in the catalog show plastics on
the lower rack.

Does anyone own this model?

One important feature for us is the fan-assisted drying for plastic.
We do alot of "freezer" cooking, so we use tons of plastic containers.

I also love the single-rack wash mode, and of course the detergent
dispenser, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Everyone I know who owns a Bosch raves about how well it cleans, but
says it does a poor job drying.

In terms of noise, the GE Profile claims 46db, and only the
top-of-the-line Bosch models are that quiet. In fact, the 43C0 is
54db.

I'd appreciate any experience with either or both of these.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
> We're getting ready to upgrade some appliances, including the
> dishwasher. The dishes come out of our Kitchenaid dirtier than they
> went in.
>
> I'm considering the Bosch SHE/SHX 43C0, and the GE Profile PDW9980NSS.

The best dishwasher I ever had was a top of the line Maytag.

My daughter recently bought a low-end (but I think they're still $1000) GE
Profile dishwasher, model PDW8200 J10 BB. Do not get this one. I hate it.
There's no display to tell what's happening. It's more or less on/off.
It's exceedingly sensitive to the house water pressure and the dishes come
out dirty if someone's taking a shower or the washing machine is going.
It's also necessary to use "Added Heat" with "Normal Wash" which adds a half
hour time, but since the coil gets heated, it helps the dishes to dry
without having to use "Heated Dry." I like that. The good thing about this
Profile is that it's totally quiet. The Maytag was pretty quiet, but this
one is more or less silent. Maybe it's missing the gizmos that would
increase its water pressure internally. I don't know. There's no noisy
water sound, anyway.

Be sure to get something with a full digital display, showing cycle,
minute-countdown, etc. I really miss it. Here's this quiet monster,
washing for an hour and a half, and I have no idea what's happening!

I've never used a Bosch.

Phyllis Chamberlain

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:08:43 GMT, "Phyllis Chamberlain"
> wrote:

>There's no display to tell what's happening. It's more or less on/off.

Just out of curiosity...what more do you need to know. Even the
quietest dishwasher makes some noise. When it stops, the dishes are
done. Since I run mine delayed at 2AM...I could care less what the
display says.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jan 25, 2:45 pm, Ward Abbott > wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:08:43 GMT, "Phyllis Chamberlain"
>
> > wrote:
> >There's no display to tell what's happening. It's more or less on/off.

> Just out of curiosity...what more do you need to know. Even the
> quietest dishwasher makes some noise. When it stops, the dishes are
> done. Since I run mine delayed at 2AM...I could care less what the
> display says.

I have a Bosch SHU something or other. Its quiet, I use its quick wash
cycle more often than not and things are sparkling clean. I never, or
almost never pre-rinse. On the other hand, I find it complicated to
fill, not sure quite how to set up the top rack, and the idea of
running the top rack only is a chimera. It doesn't hold even a 10inch
dinner plate so the only way you can use it is if you are having
friends in for coffee, something we don't do. I like it, but ...

Bliss