How much coffee for a 50 cup urn?

Old 25-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Mike
Usenet poster

Default How much coffee for a 50 cup urn?

We're throwing a rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding party and
assorted out of town guests next Thursday evening and I've volunteered
to supply the coffee (actually, it's been long assumed that I will).
Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be using a 50 cup percolator (eek!),
something with which I have absolutely zero experience. I'm going to
be using a home roasted Kenya but have no idea how much to use. Also,
I traditionally roast my Kenya to Full City+. Would this be
appropriate or does a percolator (eek!) suggest a different roast?
Keep in mind that this event is not likely to be attended by any
finely-honed coffee palates. My wife and I, on the other hand, would
like to enjoy it.

Any ideas and/or experiences you could relate would be a big help.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 25-02-2005, 10:47 PM
harrym
Usenet poster

I don't think I'd waste my home-roast in a 50-cup percolator. I would
be inclined to use a flavored supermarket blend, maybe a Hazelnut or an
Irish creme. And I'd cut down the amount of coffee a bit [quite a bit],
since in my experience the percolator will intensify any bitter taste.
Is there a local coffee service provider? Ours [LaRue] does a good job.
On the other hand, the big percolator at our church is pretty rank.
But most of the cooks use about a teaspoon of coffee per cup.

Old 25-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Ferret
Usenet poster

Mike wrote:

Keep in mind that this event is not likely to be attended by any
finely-honed coffee palates. My wife and I, on the other hand, would
like to enjoy it.

Any ideas and/or experiences you could relate would be a big help.

First off, I wouldn't waste top end home roasted coffee. Get some
commercial whole bean and grind it yourself. That's about the best that
will make much difference. I wouldn't use a darker roast either. The
chances are the coffee will get more bitter throughout the evening so
something relatively mild would be good. Try to time it so the brewing
finishes as close to the start of serving as possible. If it's going to
sit for hours and be served the whole time, add a few pinches of salt to
the grounds before brewing. I don't know the science behind this, but it
seems to keep the coffee less bitter for a longer time when being kept warm.
Old 26-02-2005, 12:09 AM
bdigman
Usenet poster

Mike wrote:
We're throwing a rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding party and
assorted out of town guests next Thursday evening and I've volunteered
to supply the coffee (actually, it's been long assumed that I will).
Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be using a 50 cup percolator (eek!),
something with which I have absolutely zero experience. I'm going to
be using a home roasted Kenya but have no idea how much to use. Also,
I traditionally roast my Kenya to Full City+. Would this be
appropriate or does a percolator (eek!) suggest a different roast?
Keep in mind that this event is not likely to be attended by any
finely-honed coffee palates. My wife and I, on the other hand, would
like to enjoy it.

Any ideas and/or experiences you could relate would be a big help.

Thanks,
Mike

I'd call a coffeehouse. We don't do hardly any catering stuff, but we
will provide a 2.5gallon insulated urn of freshly roasted specialty
coffee for $22. We brew it with our treated water, using our equipment
and standards. All the customers have to do is pick it up.
Bernie

Old 26-02-2005, 12:56 AM
butch
Usenet poster

I would get a pound of supermarket canned coffee because most people
will be very happy with that. If you use your home roast, grind it
coarse - hopefully if you do use home roasted coffee - someone will
appreciate your gesture.

On the flip side - borrow a couple of Bunn pour over drip makers - you
should be able to come up with some vac pots and brew and pour into
those - I have a couple that I use for customers and they keep the
coffee hot and tasting very well for several hours. Target has the
made in China air pots for around $13 - they work OK. Not fancy smancy
but they get the job done. In the interest of quality - I would go for
this route.

Old 26-02-2005, 01:40 AM
Format C:
Usenet poster

On 25 Feb 2005 13:26:31 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

We're throwing a rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding party and
assorted out of town guests next Thursday evening and I've volunteered
to supply the coffee (actually, it's been long assumed that I will).
Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be using a 50 cup percolator (eek!),
something with which I have absolutely zero experience. I'm going to
be using a home roasted Kenya but have no idea how much to use. Also,
I traditionally roast my Kenya to Full City+. Would this be
appropriate or does a percolator (eek!) suggest a different roast?
Keep in mind that this event is not likely to be attended by any
finely-honed coffee palates. My wife and I, on the other hand, would
like to enjoy it.

Any ideas and/or experiences you could relate would be a big help.

Thanks,
Mike

Are you ready for this? 100 heaping tablespoons.

F O R M A T C:

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Old 26-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Char Buck
Usenet poster

Sounds like a great opportunity to introduce your guests to *REAL* coffee,
proper brewing equipment and techniques.

ups.com...

Old 26-02-2005, 09:30 PM
David Gallardo
Usenet poster

I calculate 50 c. to be about 3.125 gallons. How about bringing that
much water (plus a little extra) to boil in a pot, dumping the coffee
into that, then filtering with a large drip cone (probably using several
filters sequentially) into the urn? Sorta a cross between french press &
drip methods.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Richard Feldman
Usenet poster

6.25 Measured cups of ground coffee.

ups.com...

Old 17-03-2005, 04:46 AM
sPh
Usenet poster

harrym wrote:
I don't think I'd waste my home-roast in a 50-cup percolator. I would
be inclined to use a flavored supermarket blend, maybe a Hazelnut

If you are making a full 50-cup urn full, I can guarantee someone in
your audience will be allergic to nuts, so PLEASE don't use hazelnut,
almond, or other nut flavours.

sPh

Old 17-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Jim the Noob
Usenet poster

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:46:21 GMT, sPh
wrote:

If you are making a full 50-cup urn full, I can guarantee someone in
your audience will be allergic to nuts, so PLEASE don't use hazelnut,
almond, or other nut flavours.

Hey, thanks for the reminder. (We're planning a big party over here
too.)

Jim