Member

Question I developed a tolerance to caffeine? Say it ain’t so!

What’s up everybody?

I’m here with some serious coffee questions:

I’m someone who suffers from incurable daytime drowsiness. All medical avenues have been explored and I’m stuck with sleepiness for as long as it wants to hold onto me. This sucks because my profession involves a lot of thinking, making life a literal pain in the brain.

However!

At the beginning of this month I started trying coffee again after a long time, and, to my surprise, it stimulated my brain amazingly! My one cup a day granted me several great hours of work a day. I was delighted!

Until… about two weeks into it. It seems my brain has developed a dreaded tolerance to caffeine. Even upping my intake to two cups a day doesn’t help. I’ve fallen back into drowsy city.

So my question is: What is the most efficient way to maximize the effectiveness of caffeine as much as possible? Is there a certain dosage level that remains consistently effective? (without dangerous health issues, of course) Or, is there a schedule or plan I should undertake in order to most effectively avoid the undesirable chemical tolerance to caffeine? (the chemical is ‘adenosine’ I believe) For example: a stimulated week of coffee, followed by a drowsy week of no coffee, and repeat.

Any suggestions or advice aimed at helping me would be awesome! It may help me to avoid lengthy, productivity-killing experiments, to hear what some experienced coffee drinkers have to say on this, as I continue to chase my caffeinated ray of hope.

Thank you!
Banned

Well I do know how you feel for I'm also like you. It seems like your body become immune to the effects of coffee. I don't know what works and what doesn't. But now I usually sleep more hours than the usual.

Monkeys that eat omega-3 rich diet show more developed brain networks GysdeJongh[_2_] Diabetic 0 12-02-2014 11:57 AM
Zero tolerance for racism ... Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD[_35_] General Cooking 1 22-07-2012 05:29 AM
Clemency, Tolerance and Gentleness hamada General Cooking 0 18-05-2008 01:26 PM
MFL Alcohol Tolerance spud Winemaking 4 02-10-2007 02:35 AM
Yeast with a low alcohol tolerance Dick Adams Winemaking 36 24-02-2005 12:44 PM