Posted to alt.coffee,rec.food.drink.coffee

Default Starbucks tells baristas to slow down

> wrote in message
> (Wall Street Journal) - Starbucks Corp. is telling its harried
> baristas to slow down — which may result in longer lines.
> (snip)

Maybe I've just been spoiled by my experience with more traditional coffee
houses in the SF Bay area, but every time I've been to Starbucks I've been
amazed at how long it takes it takes the baristas to come up with a simple
cappuccino --- it's like it's the first day on the job for everyone behind
the counter. I think they just lack experience and are never able to get
into an efficient rhythm. To have them slow down any more is going to make
for very edgy customers . . .

Posted to alt.coffee,rec.food.drink.coffee

"alan" > writes:
>> (Wall Street Journal) - Starbucks Corp. is telling its harried
>> baristas to slow down €” which may result in longer lines.
>> (snip)

> Maybe I've just been spoiled by my experience with more traditional
> coffee houses in the SF Bay area, but every time I've been to
> Starbucks I've been amazed at how long it takes it takes the baristas
> to come up with a simple cappuccino --- it's like it's the first day
> on the job for everyone behind the counter. I think they just lack
> experience and are never able to get into an efficient rhythm. To
> have them slow down any more is going to make for very edgy customers
> . . .

No doubt sbux in general have much more inexperienced and lower-grade
"baristas" (ugh what a cloying term) than smaller shops, but that may
well be exactly what's prompting this change -- they want to stop their
slide downscale.

It'll cause some shakeup amongst the "wait in a long line for my morning
XXX" crowd, that's for sure, but maybe that's considered an acceptable
price...

-miles

--
`To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to,
all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson
Posted to alt.coffee,rec.food.drink.coffee

On 10/13/10 7:56 PM, Miles Bader wrote:

> It'll cause some shakeup amongst the "wait in a long line for my morning
> XXX" crowd, that's for sure, but maybe that's considered an acceptable
> price...

I never understood the logic of standing in line at Starbucks and such for
one's morning cup of joe (or espresso, etc.), especially if one is in a
hurry. I've found it to be a lot faster to brew a cup at home. Even making
an espresso drink at home isn't that complicated or slow, be it with a
dedicated espresso machine or a moka pot.

OTOH, as an afternoon pick-me-up, or while traveling, going to a Starbucks
or any quality cafe is definitely a convenient option.

- Peter

Member

I wish they just made their coffee less hot. It's scalding hot most of the time.
Member

Location: at home :-)

Starbucks started something great, but their challenge is not cookie cutting their coffee making. I think part of a great coffee is the unique touch the barista gives it.

Member

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
(Wall Street Journal) - Starbucks Corp. is telling its harried
baristas to slow down — which may result in longer lines.
(snip)

Maybe I've just been spoiled by my experience with more traditional coffee
houses in the SF Bay area, but every time I've been to Starbucks I've been
amazed at how long it takes it takes the baristas to come up with a simple
cappuccino --- it's like it's the first day on the job for everyone behind
the counter. I think they just lack experience and are never able to get
into an efficient rhythm. To have them slow down any more is going to make
for very edgy customers . . .
With so many other coffee shop alternatives Starbucks is probably looking to fucus on ensuring the quality of their drinks is at the highest standard rather than churning out substandard joe that could result in people looking elsewhere for their caffeine fix - then again with the volume of product they're shipping they don't have to have the best cuppa. look at McDonalds, there are better burgers out there but people go to the golden arches because it's quick and conveniant and they know what they're going to get.
Find your nearest Prezzo restaurant and book a table for free! Check for the latest Prezzo offers & specials available.