Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default descaling coffee machine

Hi all

Hope you can help me. I've got a DeLonghi Combination Coffee/Espresso
machine, I've had it since August 09, and I'd say its probably been in
constant use since then, we *love* our coffee in this house! We mainly use
the filter coffee bit, and rarely use the cappuccino/espresso

Have noticed recently that its getting increasingly slow in filtering the
coffee and filling the jug, so I'm assuming it needs descaling, but I can't
find the instructions...and don't have broadband so downloading another set
is out of the question.

For my kettle and the water filter jug I just use a liquid product called
Furex, and that works brilliantly...but I don't know if that suitable for a
drip coffee maker, or even how I'd add it to the system....just throw it in
the cold water tank with some cold water or what?

So, folks how do you descale your drip coffee machines, and what products do
you use?

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

caroline wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Hope you can help me. I've got a DeLonghi Combination Coffee/Espresso
> machine, I've had it since August 09, and I'd say its probably been in
> constant use since then, we *love* our coffee in this house! We
> mainly use the filter coffee bit, and rarely use the
> cappuccino/espresso
> Have noticed recently that its getting increasingly slow in filtering
> the coffee and filling the jug, so I'm assuming it needs descaling,
> but I can't find the instructions...and don't have broadband so
> downloading another set is out of the question.
>
> For my kettle and the water filter jug I just use a liquid product
> called Furex, and that works brilliantly...but I don't know if that
> suitable for a drip coffee maker, or even how I'd add it to the
> system....just throw it in the cold water tank with some cold water
> or what?
> So, folks how do you descale your drip coffee machines, and what
> products do you use?

This is a question for your machine's manufacturer, not a newsgroup,
unless someone else happens to have the exact brand and model you have.

If you love your coffee, consider using better water, e.g., having a
filtration system installed in your home. We have an r/o (reverse
osmosis) and it's great. It also eliminates the need for descaling.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Steve Freides" wrote
> caroline wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Hope you can help me. I've got a DeLonghi Combination Coffee/Espresso
>> machine, I've had it since August 09, and I'd say its probably been in
>> constant use since then, we *love* our coffee in this house! We
>> mainly use the filter coffee bit, and rarely use the
>> cappuccino/espresso
>> Have noticed recently that its getting increasingly slow in filtering
>> the coffee and filling the jug, so I'm assuming it needs descaling,
>> but I can't find the instructions...and don't have broadband so
>> downloading another set is out of the question.
>>
>> For my kettle and the water filter jug I just use a liquid product
>> called Furex, and that works brilliantly...but I don't know if that
>> suitable for a drip coffee maker, or even how I'd add it to the
>> system....just throw it in the cold water tank with some cold water
>> or what?
>> So, folks how do you descale your drip coffee machines, and what
>> products do you use?

> This is a question for your machine's manufacturer, not a newsgroup,
> unless someone else happens to have the exact brand and model you have.

Which I would imagine is reasonably likely, its hardly a rare make of
machine...

> If you love your coffee, consider using better water, e.g., having a
> filtration system installed in your home. We have an r/o (reverse
> osmosis) and it's great. It also eliminates the need for descaling.

Yeah I'm sure our landlord would be delighted if we did that!

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

caroline wrote:
> "Steve Freides" wrote
>> caroline wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Hope you can help me. I've got a DeLonghi Combination
>>> Coffee/Espresso machine, I've had it since August 09, and I'd say
>>> its probably been in constant use since then, we *love* our coffee
>>> in this house! We mainly use the filter coffee bit, and rarely use
>>> the cappuccino/espresso
>>> Have noticed recently that its getting increasingly slow in
>>> filtering the coffee and filling the jug, so I'm assuming it needs
>>> descaling, but I can't find the instructions...and don't have
>>> broadband so downloading another set is out of the question.
>>>
>>> For my kettle and the water filter jug I just use a liquid product
>>> called Furex, and that works brilliantly...but I don't know if that
>>> suitable for a drip coffee maker, or even how I'd add it to the
>>> system....just throw it in the cold water tank with some cold water
>>> or what?
>>> So, folks how do you descale your drip coffee machines, and what
>>> products do you use?

>> This is a question for your machine's manufacturer, not a newsgroup,
>> unless someone else happens to have the exact brand and model you
>> have.

> Which I would imagine is reasonably likely, its hardly a rare make of
> machine...

We descale our coffee machines by following the manual of instructions
that came with them.

>> If you love your coffee, consider using better water, e.g., having a
>> filtration system installed in your home. We have an r/o (reverse
>> osmosis) and it's great. It also eliminates the need for descaling.

> Yeah I'm sure our landlord would be delighted if we did that!

OK. There are filtration systems such as Britta that can help you.

-S-

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline[_2_] View Post
[...]

You need to be careful with espresso machines as their boiler materials more often than not contain aluminium in its alloys.
Aluminium corrodes very easily if the wrong type of de-scalers are used.
I use one by Jura ( a Swiss espresso machine manufacturer), designed for their machines.
I get mine from The Tea and Coffee Emporium, The Tea and Coffee Emporium offers you fast, courteous service from the UK
It is listed in their calaogue's accessories/spare parts secion.

Member

An anti-scaling agent, also known as descaling agent, anti-limestone, anti-limescale, anti-lime or anti-scale are preparations to prevent the buildup or to remove limescale and fouling. Anti-scaling agent agents usually contain acids such as acetic acid, lactic acid, citric acid, phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, sulfamic acid to remove limescale buildup, chelators such as EDTA and phosphonates prevent limescale buildup, and biocides such as sorbic acid to prevent microbial and algal growth.
used car