Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

Default Air Pot for coffee

I recently found a container advertised for dispensing coffee called an "Air
Pot", typically manufactured by Bunn, Bloomfield or Wilbur Curtis. I'm
curious about the use of "Air" in the "Air Pot". The problem is, Bunn never
reveals how their Air Pot works. I guess they assume if you want one,
there's no need to explain. So I'm looking for someone who likes coffee so
much that he or she has found a 2 1/2 liter "Air Pot" to be useful, and
maybe explain to me how "air" is involved.

I theorize that these Air Pots dispense the coffee by pumping air into the
pot which forces the coffee out, or maybe the pot is pressurized with air
and when the spigot is turned, the coffee comes out - - but this is all
conjecture. Normally, I would just expect coffee to be in a pot with a
spigot at the bottom to let the coffee pour into a cup, but evidently an air
pot pumps the coffee out the top, instead of letting it out the bottom with
a spigot.

Anyone know how they work?

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Chuck Olson" > writes:
> I recently found a container advertised for dispensing coffee called an
> "Air Pot", typically manufactured by Bunn, Bloomfield or Wilbur
> Curtis. I'm curious about the use of "Air" in the "Air Pot". The problem
> is, Bunn never reveals how their Air Pot works. I guess they assume if
> you want one, there's no need to explain. So I'm looking for someone who
> likes coffee so much that he or she has found a 2 1/2 liter "Air Pot" to
> be useful, and maybe explain to me how "air" is involved.

I'm not sure the exact mechanism, but AFAIK the "big button" just drives
a bellows-type pump; it does _feel_ like it's somehow air-damped or
something though... I've only used them for hot water and tea, but
they're very nice for that -- store lots of liquid, keep it hot forever,
easy to dispense.

[Lots of more fancy types too that will heat the water as well (though
it's only necessary occasionally, as they vacuum container keeps it hot
for a long time), have electrically driven pumps, etc.]

-Miles

--
Bigot, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that
you do not entertain.
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Miles Bader" > wrote in message
> "Chuck Olson" > writes:
> I'm not sure the exact mechanism, but AFAIK the "big button" just drives
> a bellows-type pump; it does _feel_ like it's somehow air-damped or
> something though... I've only used them for hot water and tea, but
> they're very nice for that -- store lots of liquid, keep it hot forever,
> easy to dispense.
>
> [Lots of more fancy types too that will heat the water as well (though
> it's only necessary occasionally, as they vacuum container keeps it hot
> for a long time), have electrically driven pumps, etc.]
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> Bigot, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that
> you do not entertain.

Hey, Thanks for the info, Miles - -

I have just one problem - - there must be two things, then, that you have to
do - - pump the "big button" and then open a spigot to dispense only the
amount of hot water you want. Is that how it works?

Gratefully,

Chuck

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Chuck Olson" > writes:
> I have just one problem - - there must be two things, then, that you
> have to do - - pump the "big button" and then open a spigot to dispense
> only the amount of hot water you want. Is that how it works?

No, you just push the big button, and a certain amount of liquid comes
out of the spout (which is near the top); if you want more, you push the
big button again. It really is kinda like operating a pump -- "Pushing"
the big button is a sort of smooth stroke, so you can stop pushing at
any point and the liquid stops immediately.

It works pretty well (well the ones I've used have, anyway; Zojirushi is
probably the brand you want, if you're going for high quality).

-Miles

--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Miles Bader" > wrote in message
> "Chuck Olson" > writes:
>
> No, you just push the big button, and a certain amount of liquid comes
> out of the spout (which is near the top); if you want more, you push the
> big button again. It really is kinda like operating a pump -- "Pushing"
> the big button is a sort of smooth stroke, so you can stop pushing at
> any point and the liquid stops immediately.
>
> It works pretty well (well the ones I've used have, anyway; Zojirushi is
> probably the brand you want, if you're going for high quality).
>
> -Miles

Thanks again, Miles - - I went to the flea market this morning and found 5
Air Pots of different makes and capacities. I think I even saw the Zojirushi
that you mentioned - - very interesting. Yes, I understand now how they
work - -

I appreciate your help,

Chuck

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Chuck Olson" > wrote in message

> "Miles Bader" > wrote in message
>> "Chuck Olson" > writes:
>>
>> No, you just push the big button, and a certain amount of liquid comes
>> out of the spout (which is near the top); if you want more, you push the
>> big button again. It really is kinda like operating a pump -- "Pushing"
>> the big button is a sort of smooth stroke, so you can stop pushing at
>> any point and the liquid stops immediately.
>>
>> It works pretty well (well the ones I've used have, anyway; Zojirushi is
>> probably the brand you want, if you're going for high quality).
>>
>> -Miles

> Thanks again, Miles - - I went to the flea market this morning and found 5
> Air Pots of different makes and capacities. I think I even saw the
> Zojirushi that you mentioned - - very interesting. Yes, I understand now
> how they work - -
>
> I appreciate your help,
>
> Chuck

I have used a Zojirushi air pot for years and couldn't live without it. I
grind the beans in the morning, make my day's coffee, and immediately it
goes into the Zojirushi. The coffee stays hot, and most importantly, stays
fresh tasting through the late evening. Now and then I take a swig of
yesterday's coffee while waiting for today's brew to finish. I wouldn't have
any other brand. I"ve had mine for at least ten years and it still works as
ever. It is a bit more expense than competing air pots, but I think well
worth it

Ed

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee

"Chuck Olson" > wrote in message

> "Miles Bader" > wrote in message
>> "Chuck Olson" > writes:
>>
>> No, you just push the big button, and a certain amount of liquid comes
>> out of the spout (which is near the top); if you want more, you push the
>> big button again. It really is kinda like operating a pump -- "Pushing"
>> the big button is a sort of smooth stroke, so you can stop pushing at
>> any point and the liquid stops immediately.
>>
>> It works pretty well (well the ones I've used have, anyway; Zojirushi is
>> probably the brand you want, if you're going for high quality).
>>
>> -Miles

> Thanks again, Miles - - I went to the flea market this morning and found 5
> Air Pots of different makes and capacities. I think I even saw the
> Zojirushi that you mentioned - - very interesting. Yes, I understand now
> how they work - -
>
> I appreciate your help,
>
> Chuck

I forgot: http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts...s/airpots.html

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Chuck Olson" > wrote in message
>I recently found a container advertised for dispensing coffee called an
>"Air Pot", typically manufactured by Bunn, Bloomfield or Wilbur Curtis.

I read your post and never thought about it because I had never heard of it
but decided to write back the next day with renewed fervor

I was excited to find out yesterday about the recent research that coffee is
therapeutic in the control of alzheimers.
So more ways to make it well are worth checking out

If someone knows let us know

mk5000

"my baby boo god i thank you
cause without you how'd i get through
all of my days without you
now living with you see everything's true"-- britney spears

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"marika" > writes:
> I was excited to find out yesterday about the recent research that
> coffee is therapeutic in the control of alzheimers.

Always nice to have a new excuse...

"It's a shame his head exploded, but at least he was sharp until the end!"

-Miles

--
Cat, n. A soft, indestructible automaton provided by nature to be kicked when
things go wrong in the domestic circle.
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Miles Bader" > wrote in message
> "marika" > writes:
>> I was excited to find out yesterday about the recent research that
>> coffee is therapeutic in the control of alzheimers.

> Always nice to have a new excuse...
>
> "It's a shame his head exploded, but at least he was sharp until the end!"

Ah
Coffee must be at the root of Dilbert's pointy headed boss's afflictions

mk5000

"boy don't try to front
I know just what you are
You say I'm craz
I got your crazy"--womanizer, britney spears