bugbear

Default tryin to remember a chocolate sauce recipe

A long time ago I had a "hit" at a meal with a simple
chocolate sauce (served on vanilla Ice Cream and
Banana, both premium Organic versions).

I would like to repeat this triumph, but being an
idiot I didn't copy the recipe from the book I
had at the time (library - long gone).

I can remember these elements being involved:

* Premium Chocolate (70 % solids, I used Lindt)
* Unsalted butter.
* A liquid - when this was added the sauce became very
"granular". This was temporary, but very frightening.
* I think the liquid was double cream, although water
or milk may have been used in addition.
* It was cooked in a bain marie.
* there may have been a second cooking container, possibly
to melt something separately.

Can anyone identify a recipe from this half remembered
stuff?

BugBear
Jacqueline

"bugbear" > schreef in bericht
om...
| A long time ago I had a "hit" at a meal with a simple
| chocolate sauce (served on vanilla Ice Cream and
| Banana, both premium Organic versions).
|
| I would like to repeat this triumph, but being an
| idiot I didn't copy the recipe from the book I
| had at the time (library - long gone).
|
| I can remember these elements being involved:
|
| * Premium Chocolate (70 % solids, I used Lindt)
| * Unsalted butter.
| * A liquid - when this was added the sauce became very
| "granular". This was temporary, but very frightening.
| * I think the liquid was double cream, although water
| or milk may have been used in addition.
| * It was cooked in a bain marie.
| * there may have been a second cooking container, possibly
| to melt something separately.
|
| Can anyone identify a recipe from this half remembered
| stuff?
|
| BugBear

I always do it like this:

100 gr. Very dark chocolate. I use Dutch chocolate, but Lindt is ok as
well...
250 ml. cream.

Heat the cream and add the chocolate. Stirr and don't be afraid if it
becomes too "granular". You don't need butter in this recipe. I never use a
bain marie.

Regards,
Jacqueline (Holland)

Alex Rast

at Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:08:58 GMT in <7435f6f0.0311240608.286b6c09
@posting.google.com>, (bugbear) wrote :

>A long time ago I had a "hit" at a meal with a simple
>chocolate sauce...
>I can remember these elements being involved:
>
>* Premium Chocolate (70 % solids, I used Lindt)
>* Unsalted butter.
>* A liquid - when this was added the sauce became very
> "granular". This was temporary, but very frightening.
>* I think the liquid was double cream, ...
>
>Can anyone identify a recipe...

Sounds to me like a classic "sauce ganache". One of the simplest and best
of the chocolate sauces. You can use a double-boiler if you like, although
it really isn't necessary. Anyway, here's what you do:

2 cups cream (I recommend "whipping cream" for the USA)
8-9 oz. bittersweet chocolate (get the best you can find. I recommend
Guittard or Michel Cluizel 72%. Use 8 oz with pure cream, 9 oz with
cream+butter)
(optional) 2 tbsp butter

Grate the bittersweet chocolate in a bowl. Mix butter and cream and heat
over low heat until the first bubbles just barely break the surface. Pour
over the chocolate and stir with a rubber spatula, using a folding motion,
until the mixture is smooth. Either chill if wanted cold, or use if wanted
warm. It's actually better, if you want it warm, to chill it all the way,
then reheat in a double-boiler, but it's a lot of extra effort for only
marginal reward unless you like to make big batches ahead of time. If you
prefer, you can melt the chocolate and butter in a double-boiler first,
then pour the scalded cream over the melted mixture - this avoids the
hassle of having to grate it but there's a risk the ganache may "break" and
stay grainy. The butter is a matter of taste. It makes for a thicker
ganache, but it's best to match fat percentages in cream with the type of
ganache you're making - the stiffer the ganache, the heavier the cream. So
truffle ganache is best with double cream, frosting/filling ganache with
American Heavy Cream (40% fat), sauce ganache with American Whipping Cream
(36% fat). I recommend mixing single and double creams in the UK for the
type of sauce you're making.

--
Alex Rast