A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Welcome to FoodBanter.com forums which provide access to the finest food and drink related newsgroups.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most newsgroup discussions and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics to the food related newsgroups, communicate privately with other FoodBanter.com members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Drinking » Beer
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer (rec.drink.beer) Discussing various aspects of that fine beverage referred to as beer. Including interesting beers and beer styles, opinions on tastes and ingredients, reviews of brewpubs and breweries & suggestions about where to shop.

pain reliever + beer



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30-10-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default pain reliever + beer

what pain reliever is safe for frequent drinkers? i hear Tylenol can fry my
liver.

thanks.

Gravity


Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31-10-2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default pain reliever + beer

In article ews.net, "Gravity" wrote:
what pain reliever is safe for frequent drinkers? i hear Tylenol can fry my
liver.

thanks.


No one will say anything is completely safe. I take aspirin when
necessary and even when not necessary. My drug of choice for pain
is Ibuprofen. This can take on high dosages in the form of
Motron. Some people have problems with Ibuprofen, but I
would recommecd always getting enough fluid and even take some
Tums along with it. It can play havoc with your stomach just as aspirin can.
I absolutely need it some times after heavy work. Old age!

greg
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default pain reliever + beer

Gravity a écrit :

what pain reliever is safe for frequent drinkers? i hear Tylenol can fry my
liver.


Beer is a strain on both your stomach (hops) and your liver (alcohol).

Among commmon painkillers, Aspirin and Ibuprofen tend to be easier on
the liver, but tough on your stomach. Paracetamol, on the other hand, is
gentler on your stomach and heavier on your liver.

So it's a question of finding out what suits you best, paracetamol,
ibuprofen or good old aspirin, depending on your liver or your stomach
being more tolerant.

But do keep in mind that mixing painkillers (ie one paracetamol and one
ibuprofen together) is definitively *not* a good idea, and that
consuming alcoholic drinks and painkillers at the same time for more
than a few days is not clever either.

Bottom line : go see a doctor.



--
Warning : you may encounter French language beyond this point.

.... te voilà donc avec l'estomac plein de foin et les pieds humides !! Tu n'as pas honte ?
(F'murrr)

Laurent Mousson, Berne, Switzerland
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default pain reliever + beer

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:37:30 +0100, The Submarine Captain wrote:
Gravity a écrit :

what pain reliever is safe for frequent drinkers? i hear Tylenol can fry my
liver.

Beer is a strain on both your stomach (hops) and your liver (alcohol).


Actually the alcohol isn't too good for your stomach either :-)

Among commmon painkillers, Aspirin and Ibuprofen tend to be easier on
the liver, but tough on your stomach. Paracetamol, on the other hand, is
gentler on your stomach and heavier on your liver.


Americans call paracetamol 'acetaminophen',
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

But do keep in mind that mixing painkillers (ie one paracetamol and one
ibuprofen together) is definitively *not* a good idea,


Paracetamol and ibuprofen work in different ways and are
metabolised differently, so it is reasonably safe to take them in
combination (at normal therapeutic doses). It's generally a good idea to
avoid paracetamol if you drink a lot, since it increases the load on your
liver. Ibuprofen is a better bet if you tolerate it well.

Opiate painkillers have additive sedative effects with alcohol so you
should drink moderately until you know how you are affected.

and that
consuming alcoholic drinks and painkillers at the same time for more
than a few days is not clever either.

Bottom line : go see a doctor.


If you've drunk enough to make you need painkillers the next day, you've
overdone it. It's not clear if this was the meaning of the original
post. It won't do too much harm to do this occasionally but if you're
doing it once a week or more, you're drinking too much.

Paul
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
LT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default pain reliever + beer




Hi, I'm new here and trying to learn about good beer. I've never
posted here before but this is something I know about. Ibuprofen, my
friends and I call it Vitamin "I". Great for the aches and pains of
"older" age. Take it before strenuous exercise or work to get it into
your system.

I work in a Brewery and I'm sitting back and enjoying one of our
products, Sam Adams Winter Lager.

It used to be quanity, now it's quality.


Unfortunately I like both "Q's" which is hard on the wallet.

I've never thought of pain killers of any type as preventative, or take
pre-pain.
(is that a word?) I've got arthritis in one knee I do a fair amount of
running. (gotta work of those beer calories ya know) I've got a standing
prescription for Indocin, which is really powerful, but I hate taking it
because it makes me loopy. Not the nice loopy like vicodin, but just dizzy.
Maybe I'll try your suggestion on that one.

Thanks

Larry T


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 11:59 AM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default pain reliever + beer

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:02:12 +0000, LT wrote:

I've never thought of pain killers of any type as preventative, or take
pre-pain.
(is that a word?) I've got arthritis in one knee I do a fair amount of
running. (gotta work of those beer calories ya know) I've got a standing
prescription for Indocin, which is really powerful, but I hate taking it
because it makes me loopy. Not the nice loopy like vicodin, but just dizzy.
Maybe I'll try your suggestion on that one.


Indometacin (Indocin) is a prescription only anti inflammatory drug used
to treat arthritis. Ibuprofen has a similar action but is less powerful
with fewer side effects. You could try taking over the counter ibuprofen
and see how much it helps, but you should really discuss this with your
doctor. Don't take the two drugs at the same time unless your doctor tells
you to.

Some people advocate taking an ibuprofen dose before going to bed after a
heavy session. The anti inflammatory action reduces brain inflammation
which is the cause of some hangover headaches.

Paul
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default pain reliever + beer

In article . net, "LT" wrote:



Hi, I'm new here and trying to learn about good beer. I've never
posted here before but this is something I know about. Ibuprofen, my
friends and I call it Vitamin "I". Great for the aches and pains of
"older" age. Take it before strenuous exercise or work to get it into
your system.

I work in a Brewery and I'm sitting back and enjoying one of our
products, Sam Adams Winter Lager.

It used to be quanity, now it's quality.


Unfortunately I like both "Q's" which is hard on the wallet.

I've never thought of pain killers of any type as preventative, or take
pre-pain.


It helps keep the body's joints from swelling, just as Aspirin
can do. Tylenol does nothing for inflamation except reduce
pain.

greg
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default pain reliever + beer

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article . net, "LT"
wrote:



Hi, I'm new here and trying to learn about good beer. I've never
posted here before but this is something I know about. Ibuprofen, my
friends and I call it Vitamin "I". Great for the aches and pains of
"older" age. Take it before strenuous exercise or work to get it into
your system.

I work in a Brewery and I'm sitting back and enjoying one of our
products, Sam Adams Winter Lager.

It used to be quanity, now it's quality.


Unfortunately I like both "Q's" which is hard on the wallet.

I've never thought of pain killers of any type as preventative, or take
pre-pain.


It helps keep the body's joints from swelling, just as Aspirin
can do. Tylenol does nothing for inflamation except reduce
pain.


I was trimming a tree one day standing on a ladder near the house.
I fell sideways with my arm grabbing the windowsill, except
my arm was not in the right position. I tore my shoulder joint
pretty bad. I also screwed up my ankle. I thought oh shit. I
stood up and tried raising my arm and it came out of socket,
put arm back in quickly. Well, the first thing I did ws go in the
house and consume two tabs of Ibuprophen to keep swelling down,
and pain, allthough i was not in very much pain at the time. I went
out and finished gathering up twigs and bundling them. But
there was never much pain, and I'm sure taking the drug soon helped.
A month later I got rotator cuff surgery, and talk about pain!!

greg
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 123
Default pain reliever + beer

Paul Sherwin wrote:
Indometacin (Indocin) is a prescription only anti inflammatory drug used
to treat arthritis. Ibuprofen has a similar action but is less powerful
with fewer side effects. You could try taking over the counter ibuprofen
and see how much it helps, but you should really discuss this with your
doctor. Don't take the two drugs at the same time unless your doctor tells
you to.

Some people advocate taking an ibuprofen dose before going to bed after a
heavy session. The anti inflammatory action reduces brain inflammation
which is the cause of some hangover headaches.


I was taking modestly high doses of Ibuprofin awhile back
due to some inflammation in my knee. The doctor was quite
adamant about not mixing it with alcohol.
--
Joel Plutchak

"Things just fall apart." - Now They'll Sleep (Belly)
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default pain reliever + beer


"Joe B" wrote in message
...

I work in a Brewery and I'm sitting back and enjoying one of our
products, Sam Adams Winter Lager.

It used to be quanity, now it's quality.


i'll have to try that brew. i am more into European stuff, but willing to
try "new" beers of all types.

Grav


  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default pain reliever + beer


"Paul Sherwin" wrote in message
news
If you've drunk enough to make you need painkillers the next day, you've
overdone it. It's not clear if this was the meaning of the original
post. It won't do too much harm to do this occasionally but if you're
doing it once a week or more, you're drinking too much.

Paul


it looks like 5 things (including occasional overconsumption) are triggering
headaches. i'm going to talk to a doctor. :-)

thanks for advice, guys.

Grav


  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
LT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default pain reliever + beer


Indometacin (Indocin) is a prescription only anti inflammatory drug used
to treat arthritis. Ibuprofen has a similar action but is less powerful
with fewer side effects. You could try taking over the counter ibuprofen
and see how much it helps, but you should really discuss this with your
doctor. Don't take the two drugs at the same time unless your doctor tells
you to.

Some people advocate taking an ibuprofen dose before going to bed after a
heavy session. The anti inflammatory action reduces brain inflammation
which is the cause of some hangover headaches.

Paul


Thanks Paul, Thankfully, I've not had a big arthritis flair up in a while.
But when I do, Indocin really knocks it out quickly. Little aces and pains,
the OTC stuff is a much better choice though. I really hate taking meds, of
any type, because they all have some sort of side effect, even if you don't
notice them right off.

Larry T


  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default pain reliever + beer

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:29:21 +0000, Joel wrote:

Paul Sherwin wrote:
Indometacin (Indocin) is a prescription only anti inflammatory drug used
to treat arthritis. Ibuprofen has a similar action but is less powerful
with fewer side effects. You could try taking over the counter ibuprofen
and see how much it helps, but you should really discuss this with your
doctor. Don't take the two drugs at the same time unless your doctor tells
you to.

Some people advocate taking an ibuprofen dose before going to bed after a
heavy session. The anti inflammatory action reduces brain inflammation
which is the cause of some hangover headaches.


I was taking modestly high doses of Ibuprofin awhile back
due to some inflammation in my knee. The doctor was quite
adamant about not mixing it with alcohol.


You might like to ask him for an explanation sometime. Many doctors advise
alcohol abstinence when taking *any* medication, because it's easier than
explaining the limits and possible risks, but there is no interaction
between alcohol and ibuprofen that I'm aware of. It's possible that he was
concerned about stomach irritation if you were taking very high doses
(higher than OTC doses) round the clock for an extended period.

Alcohol related stomach irritation is less likely in beer drinkers than
wine or spirit drinkers.

Paul

  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.drink.beer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default pain reliever + beer

In article ain, Paul Sherwin wrote:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:29:21 +0000, Joel wrote:

Paul Sherwin wrote:
Indometacin (Indocin) is a prescription only anti inflammatory drug used
to treat arthritis. Ibuprofen has a similar action but is less powerful
with fewer side effects. You could try taking over the counter ibuprofen
and see how much it helps, but you should really discuss this with your
doctor. Don't take the two drugs at the same time unless your doctor tells
you to.

Some people advocate taking an ibuprofen dose before going to bed after a
heavy session. The anti inflammatory action reduces brain inflammation
which is the cause of some hangover headaches.


I was taking modestly high doses of Ibuprofin awhile back
due to some inflammation in my knee. The doctor was quite
adamant about not mixing it with alcohol.


You might like to ask him for an explanation sometime. Many doctors advise
alcohol abstinence when taking *any* medication, because it's easier than
explaining the limits and possible risks, but there is no interaction
between alcohol and ibuprofen that I'm aware of. It's possible that he was
concerned about stomach irritation if you were taking very high doses
(higher than OTC doses) round the clock for an extended period.

Alcohol related stomach irritation is less likely in beer drinkers than
wine or spirit drinkers.


The 3 to 4 times the usuall dose is more likely to cause problems, I would think.
Motron can have up to 800 mg. This might very well be hazardous for things
other than the stomach, but ??

greg
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rec.food.drink.beer FAQ [1/3] (revised 16-MAY-1997) John Lock Beer 2 11-04-2006 05:33 AM
rec.food.drink.beer FAQ [1/3] (revised 16-MAY-1997) John Lock Beer 2 27-03-2006 06:29 AM
rec.food.drink.beer FAQ [1/3] (revised 16-MAY-1997) John Lock Beer 2 13-03-2006 06:27 AM
rec.food.drink.beer FAQ [1/3] (revised 16-MAY-1997) John Lock Beer 2 26-02-2006 06:29 AM
rec.food.drink.beer FAQ [1/3] (revised 16-MAY-1997) John Lock Beer 2 12-02-2006 06:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright ©2004-2014 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.