Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lifetime DIY Gas Grill

I got tired of rebuilding my gas grill and I decided to make a lifetime

unit.

Looking at my old $100 Aluminum bodied unit, I discovered that the
shell was fine, the guts all rusted out, and the only thing worth
saving on the rusted out table were the plastic wheels.

OK. First I scavaged around for some 2x4's.

I built a 2x4 grill stand using 3 - 2x4's across the top as
the 'table'.
Made the legs nice and tall for ease of use, and a 2x4 shelf
below for the gas tank.

I used 2 pieces of 1" square tubing about 10" long to make a
pair of bases for the shell.

One 1/4 - 20 bolt through the tubing and a few #10 sheet metal
screws to the wood below and she was mounted to the stand.

Next the burner. Using a 15" length of 1" square tubing, I welded the
ends closed. (I cut a ~1" slot with an angle grinder and bent the flap

to the bottom and welded it.)

I drilled a series of 1/16" holes about 1/2" apart for the flame.

Below the flame holes and off a little to one side, I cut a 1/2" hole
and I welded a piece of bicycle handlebar tubing with the bend.

Done! Just drop the burner through the hole in the bottom and wire on
the original gas valve outlet.

For a 'flavorizer' I bought a slotted broiler pan insert at Goodwill
for $0.79 and cut it to size and sheet metal screwed the 2 pieces
together.

Added the plastic wheels and it was complete.

Painted all the parts black and it looks great and cooks better than
the original settup.

The 2x4's should last a lifetime and so will the aluminum.

The burner should outlast 4 or 5 tinny ones.

It could also be made from black 1/2" pipe nipples and a 'T'.

Do you think that plans for this would sell?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article . com>, wrote:
> I got tired of rebuilding my gas grill and I decided to make a lifetime
> unit.

Where's the pics?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rick F. wrote:
> In article . com>, wrote:
> > I got tired of rebuilding my gas grill and I decided to make a lifetime
> > unit.

> Where's the pics?

On my PC.

Send me your email or post it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
>
> http://i6.tinypic.com/123t9ts.jpg
>
> Not painted, but you can see the idea.

Is that a grill (that gets very hot) mounted on a wood stand? Lifetime?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > http://i6.tinypic.com/123t9ts.jpg
> >
> > Not painted, but you can see the idea.
> >

> Is that a grill (that gets very hot) mounted on a wood stand? Lifetime?

First, the grill is bolted to a piece of 1x1 steel tubing.

The middle part of the bottom is NOT resting on wood, just air.

The mount tubing is open at both ends for cooling. It is screwed to
the wood.

I have grilled for about 45 continuous minutes and I can keep my hand
on the square tubing. It would take about 200 more degrees to be a
problem to the wood.

Had I any concern about heat transfer, I can raise up the grill about
an inch using longer screws and some spacers similar to a metal handle
frying pan. It is not necessary.

AAMOF the burner extension to the control valve is now made of half a
bicycle handle bar that is painted white. It is still white just below
the burner. Heat rises and there are several vent holes below that
bring in cool air.

If we are both around in 15 years, I believe that the grill will still
be OK.

On trash day you can find a slew of perfectly rebuildable aluminum
bodied grills.

I will never buy another grill.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

how do you regulate the flame, via the gas control valve.

thanks any more pictures of this unit inside and out. or are those trade
secretes till the patent office gives you your number.
ups.com...